Capability ARM - Dreaming

Epimethee

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm not into Linux and ARM stuff, so I wanted to know: what can I run on my future Openpandora? I know x86 stuff - windows's stuff - won't run. So what have we?

I'm pretty sure games won't work, sadly.

But some stuff like:

-Teamviewer?

-Is Aby compatible with Office/OpenOffice?

-Can I has flash support in browser?

-Is Pidgin Working?

-May I log to a MU account, DL a film (free of rights, without a doubt), and see it? .avi?

-I heard ARM is used on Androïd smartphones. Right? Can I has some androïd store or make some apps working?

Is there a list of games/apps/Software...that would run?

And then, today, I was thinking my dreamdevice from future.

-Support of ARM and x86 (I know it's unreal :( )

-Powerful enough to run stuff games like WoW. Half-Life (I wish so hard to play H-L, and Warcraft 3, CS, Caesar III, American Mc-Gee alice, audiosurf, CiV IV, Fable, MAss Effect, Morrowind, Plants vs Zombies, Minecraft, trine, Unreal Tournament, Portal..... on a handheld)

-Powerfull enough to run N64 and PS1 really fullspeed.

-SimCard slot, ability to phone.

-Camera, photo,microphone...like smartphones...

-Oh, and access to androïd market.

And, as i'm dreaming, I wish there will be a successor for Myvu glasses, as they were awesome. (Serious question: will they work with my Pandora?)

Thanks for answering my questions. And you, what's your perfect device from future (cause at present time it's the Pandora :p )

Well Pidgin runs perfectly, in terms of games Quake 3 is running at full speed and most N64 and a lot of PS1 games work at full speed without issues.

Minecraft has a clone called MineTest, which runs really well if you overclock to about 800mhz but does suffer crashes a bit.

There is FreeCiv which is an open source clone of civilization, most of the games you have asked about are simply too new and/or not open source, it has a built in mic and I have a little webcam I use with mine (although pidgin doesn't support it), if you want a list of games and what not head over to the wiki or the app pages like the repo, you can get to all this through the community and help pages from the main pandora page.

Hope this has helped.

Hi,

I'm not into Linux and ARM stuff, so I wanted to know: what can I run on my future Openpandora? I know x86 stuff - windows's stuff - won't run. So what have we?

But some stuff like:

-Teamviewer? I don't think so, but there are much better remote desktop clients, try gigolo on the pandora!

-Is Aby compatible with Office/OpenOffice? Pretty much.

-Can I has flash support in browser? It's working, though the framerate in HD youtube videos is terrible. 240 and even 360p are alright.

-Is Pidgin Working? Yes.

-May I log to a MU account, DL a film (free of rights, without a doubt), and see it? .avi? .avi is a container, not a format. But yes, videos play properly.

-I heard ARM is used on Androïd smartphones. Right? Can I has some androïd store or make some apps working? Same hardware, different software. Won't run without a port. No source code = no port.

Is there a list of games/apps/Software...that would run? There's a wiki, google it.

-Support of ARM and x86 (I know it's unreal :( ) Indeed. This is a physical differnce, this would be like saying I wish my car would run on both diesel AND gasoline, get my drift?

-Powerful enough to run stuff games like WoW. Half-Life (I wish so hard to play H-L, and Warcraft 3, CS, Caesar III, American Mc-Gee alice, audiosurf, CiV IV, Fable, MAss Effect, Morrowind, Plants vs Zombies, Minecraft, trine, Unreal Tournament, Portal..... on a handheld) In theory this could happen, the problem with the pandora isn't so much the hardware as the closed-source drivers.

-Powerfull enough to run N64 and PS1 really fullspeed. It does run pretty good, actually.

-SimCard slot, ability to phone. Look into Ekiga.

-Camera, photo,microphone...like smartphones... You can connect all of those like a normal computer.

-Oh, and access to androïd market. Not going to happen, software isn't compatible. Maybe if android gets ported to pandora though. (They are working on it.)

Hi,

But some stuff like:

-Teamviewer? I don't think so, but there are much better remote desktop clients, try gigolo on the pandora!

-Is Aby compatible with Office/OpenOffice? Pretty much.

-Can I has flash support in browser? It's working, though the framerate in HD youtube videos is terrible. 240 and even 360p are alright.

-Is Pidgin Working? Yes.

-May I log to a MU account, DL a film (free of rights, without a doubt), and see it? .avi? .avi is a container, not a format. But yes, videos play properly.

-I heard ARM is used on Androïd smartphones. Right? Can I has some androïd store or make some apps working? Same hardware, different software. Won't run without a port. No source code = no port.

Is there a list of games/apps/Software...that would run? There's a wiki, google it.

-Support of ARM and x86 (I know it's unreal :( ) Indeed. This is a physical differnce, this would be like saying I wish my car would run on both diesel AND gasoline, get my drift?

-Powerful enough to run stuff games like WoW. Half-Life (I wish so hard to play H-L, and Warcraft 3, CS, Caesar III, American Mc-Gee alice, audiosurf, CiV IV, Fable, MAss Effect, Morrowind, Plants vs Zombies, Minecraft, trine, Unreal Tournament, Portal..... on a handheld) In theory this could happen, the problem with the pandora isn't so much the hardware as the closed-source drivers.

-Powerfull enough to run N64 and PS1 really fullspeed. It does run pretty good, actually.

-SimCard slot, ability to phone. Look into Ekiga.

-Camera, photo,microphone...like smartphones... You can connect all of those like a normal computer.

-Oh, and access to androïd market. Not going to happen, software isn't compatible. Maybe if android gets ported to pandora though. (They are working on it.)

... and?

-Is Aby compatible with Office/OpenOffice?
The version of Abiword in the repo does not support Office 2007 .docx files. The normal desktop version of Abiword does, though: it has to be enabled at compile time (I have done this).

Also, there's a built-in microphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most android apps will work but it will require booting to android. I'll put together a relatively easy to follow walkthrough for setting that up when I get android to a consumable point.

Back