Can't Get Movies To Run...

Nunez

Still Fresh
I have been trying for countless hours to get a simple movie to run, I've tried AVI, DIVX, and MPEG-4 with no success. I've used the movie player that someone made, but even with that I can only get it to run with the audio working and the video lagging severely behind. I figured this would be one of the most simplest things to do on the Caanoo, but I guess I'm either terrible at it or it is hard.. Anyways, I would much appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

teh caanoo apparently has no specialized hardware (dsp chip) to decode multimedia files...everything runs in software on the 533 mhz arm11 cpu. decoding audio...taxing, decoding video even more difficult.

So if the process is so hard, why is there a Movie section put on there? It seems like it would be as simple as the photos or Ebooks. Do most people just not fool with the movies on the Caanoo? Also if there is a link someone could send me to a tutorial or video on how to decode it and make it work, I would be willing to put in the time to learn how.

@monstercameron - While that is true, the GP2X F-200 could play videos fine for me, so I doubt that the Caanoo is incapable of doing so.
I'm not quite sure how to put videos on the engine to work, but like Nunez says, there's a Movie section for a reason, and I would assume it's to play movies. @nunez - Try SUPER - it's a free multimedia conversion program.
Converter Link

Ok, I'll try that one and see if I have any luck. Is there any format that you would suggest above others?

Ok, i formatted on to xvid, and it was already set to 25fps, but I'm not sure what you mean by "@qvga" Can you enlighten me on what this means?

Edit: So far it's working pretty well. That converter works wonders, and I've got the video up and running smoothly. I still am having a bit trouble getting the exact audio/video to match, and I'm still seeing how far I can push the sound/video quality. I'll update with the formula I come up with when it's 100% spot on.

I dont have my Caanoo yet but I'm very familiar with Super, have converted lots of vids at 320x240 for my mp3 player. I dont think the frame rate would be the issue so much as the video size.

Regarding Audio syncing issues in Super they are usually caused by converting the video to a different frame rate from the original frame rate.

Select the video that your encoding and pull up the information on that video I think its double click on the file in the list, it should pull up the details of the source video. Set the converter to use that same Frame Rate and that should take care of your audio sync issues in your converted vids.

The video playback capabilities for the Caanoo are severely disappointing. Doesn't play mpeg-4 at all.

Back