Can The Pandora Run Gp2x Games?

jacot

Still Fresh
Hi everyone, you may find my question stupid, but I would like to know if you can play GP2X's games on Pandora? I haven't found the answer on this forum... Thanks for your answers!

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding (which may well be out-of-date, so please do correct me if I'm wrong) is "Not out-of-the-box, but anything for which the source code or original developer who is interested is available can be recompiled and/or ported".

Again, things may have changed, but that is my understanding of the way it was the last time I heard this mentioned. :p

EDIT: Clarified slightly iffy wording. :p

Ok I will! That's my 1st post in a forum I'm not really used to this stuff... but I'll think about it next time!

Yeah, your question wasn't really stupid, but it would have been much better if the thread was titled, "Can the Pandora play GP2X games?"

Not that big of a deal, bud. Forums can be a great thing, or they can be a mess. Veteran forum users like to have clean forums, but we were all new to forums at one point.

In general, the more descriptive your thread title is, the easier it is to categorize and to get useful responses. Think about looking at the list of threads here in General talk. What thread topic would be easier to understand without opening? A thread titled "Why is it that?" or a thread titled "Why was the Pandora given a clamshell design?"

You'll find that the better you understand your tools (this includes forums), the more you'll get out of them.

Check this out for a little bit of further reading:
CODE
http://internet.suite101.com/article.cfm/tips_for_good_web_forum_etiquette

Edit: Sniped by lulzfish!

From what I recall, the Pandora should be able to execute GP2x binaries.
However, that doesn't mean they will run.
There may be libraries missing, or library versions that aren't quite compatible between the two.
The GP2X had a lower res screen, so it's tough to say how the Pandora hardware would handle that.
In theory, maybe. Reality is, all you can do is wait and see.

It is highly unlikely that any GP2X applications will "just work". There are just too many differences in the hardware and resource structure.

It is conceivable that somebody could create a GP2x virtualizer (think WINE) that would allow many apps to run, but applications that access the hardware directly would still probably not function.

'Chip' said:
It is highly unlikely that any GP2X applications will "just work". There are just too many differences in the hardware and resource structure.

It is conceivable that somebody could create a GP2x virtualizer (think WINE) that would allow many apps to run, but applications that access the hardware directly would still probably not function.
That would be über cool to have :D. I would like to platy something like Payback on the Pandora :).

Regards

André

@Chip acutally your overly positive now :) it was discussed there would be little point in doing that since most of the SW is open source or will be ported so native pandora versions will be available therefore there is little incentive to create a gp2x virtualizer

'cb88' said:
@Chip acutally your overly positive now :) it was discussed there would be little point in doing that since most of the SW is open source or will be ported so native pandora versions will be available therefore there is little incentive to create a gp2x virtualizer
All I said is that it is conceivable that somebody could do it, which is true. Porting a given application (nearly all of which are open source) is pretty trivial, but porting ALL of them would be a pain in the ass. Virtualizing the GP2X would allow a lot of GP2X apps to run without porting. Whether it is better to put a little work into a lot of apps or a lot of work into one is up to the people who actually do the coding.

yes I know but you know as well as I know that people don't take things that way they take it as a sure thing ... when in fact it isn't all that likely since for the most part devs will each recompile themselves.... not like its a one man job anyway

no way a reasonable person would spend time in this
if there is a single decent gp2x game/app that's not getting ported already, it should still be plenty easy to port it.

'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
if there is a single decent gp2x game/app that's not getting ported already, it should still be plenty easy to port it.
Cave. Story.

'absolofdoom' said:
'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
Cave. Story.

Thank You

Back