Can the Pandora hook to an external Computer Monitor?

lordbobjones

I have been using my Pandora for more and more things at work.   I was wondering since I have an extra monitor that I use with my laptop, if I could somehow hook it to the pand for a larger display.

If this is possible, I know I would need some kind of adapter or such.   I already have a usb expander where I have a mouse and wifi stick attached and sometimes hook a full sized keyboard when I have to do a lot of typing.

Just curious...

Thanks!

Just don't expect games or video with a lot of movement to work well via USB.. USB2.0 adapters can't do that even on a regular Desktop/Laptop because it's limited by the USB bandwidth.. It's good for office/general web browsing things. 

Do S-Video to VGA adapters work? You can get them for under $50 but you'd need a TV-out cable for the Pandora too.

I have been using my Pandora for more and more things at work.   I was wondering since I have an extra monitor that I use with my laptop, if I could somehow hook it to the pand for a larger display.

If this is possible, I know I would need some kind of adapter or such.   I already have a usb expander where I have a mouse and wifi stick attached and sometimes hook a full sized keyboard when I have to do a lot of typing.

Just curious...

Thanks!
Hmc and Askarus had success using the already mentioned display link adapters > see here and here

Do S-Video to VGA adapters work? You can get them for under $50 but you'd need a TV-out cable for the Pandora too.
Unless the Pandoras TV-Out does not stick to the standard, I see no reason why it shouldn't. But without a very good input processing behind the VGA connector on the display side, I doubt it will be much fun to use it (especially with an even lower resolution than the Pandoras internal display)

Last edited by a moderator:
USB2.0 adapters can't do that even on a regular Desktop/Laptop because it's limited by the USB bandwidth..
Interesting sidenote: this isn't entirely true anymore, I know that Lenovos latest incarnation of a (standalone) USB Display is able to show 720p Videos fluently

The Lenovo USB Display is most certainly USB 3.0

Thanks for the info and links.  Time to read...

Any specific hardware that you all recommend so I can get that ordered?   In looking at the Display Link store there are so many choices it gets confusing.

Thanks for the hard work that is going into this.  The Pandora keeps growing and growing!

If the bandwidth is not enough for this resolution, maybe the framerate is low, or it's a kind of compressed stream.

They definately use video compression to achieve this. Linux support isn't very good (yet), has some problem with detecting wether the screen should be updated or not

Last edited by a moderator:
That Lenovo mobile Display is really cool, in Germany they are priced at 118€ which I think is really cheap.
I should get one for my notebook and try it with the Pandora:)

Back