Can Teachers Swear At Students?

I have been a teacher for nearly 15 years. I have only very rarely sworn in anger in front of students (and immediately regretted losing it).

With older students (16+) who I have a long etablished and comfortable relationship I may swear in accord with something but still very rarely.

I don't want to get on my soapbox becasuse believe me I know it is a very trying and difficult job and kids can be real shits just to piss you off regardless of the fact that you turn up each day and thanklessly try to make them better more informed people, but I beleive he was unprofessional to do what he did.

Unless the guitar solo was really arse.

WrongEyedJesus said:
kids can be real shits just to piss you off regardless of the fact that you turn up each day and thanklessly try to make them better more informed people, but I beleive he was unprofessional to do what he did.
I know what you mean about people being little shits for no reason, there's no point in misbehaving. I think that's why I behave for all teachers who respect me: they are only doing their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
jakshep2 said:
all teachers who respect me

So you expect all teachers to respect you before having earned it, otherwise you are going to cause trouble for them?

Orkie said:
jakshep2 said:
all teachers who respect me

So you expect all teachers to respect you before having earned it, otherwise you are going to cause trouble for them?
nah, all teachers have my respect until they lose it from me for being dicks or whatever for no reason.

Sometimes the swearing is to make the class feel the teacher is "one of them". Personally I never found that worked too well... Instead they got my respect by being smarter than me, controlling the class well and teaching me something useful.

OTOH if the teachers are really losing it due to prats then they aren't focusing on teaching the class, so need to learn some control techniques to allow them to do so... OTOH I find it really harsh that if a teacher loses it once and hits a child taking the piss then they lose their job. No-one is perfect. More training and a few warnings would seem more sensible to me.

I remember one teacher had a great technique. He was really evil in the first lesson. Going so far as throwing students bags out of the windows for minor stuff. Then after that no-one really misbehaved since they knew how he could be. Also it was funny, which does help get the class to feel you are one of them. But one who has more power.

My advise is to learn as much as you can at school. The world is going to be a harsh place (more than usual) for the next 5 years, so you need as much experience as possible to get as good a job as possible.

Anyway this thread is hilarious. Perhaps it should be in lol files!

foft said:
OTOH I find it really harsh that if a teacher loses it once and hits a child taking the piss then they lose their job. No-one is perfect. More training and a few warnings would seem more sensible to me.
A line has to be drawn somewhere. You CANNOT hit a child or student, if you think that is acceptable then fuck you and you shouldn't really be a teacher then should you? I would not want my child (if I had one) being taught my someone violent or who even thought it is acceptable to hit a child. Simply put, you are in a position of authority and much physically larger than a child. If i had a child and found out the teacher had hit them then I would march into the school and hit the teacher. That would let the teacher see how it felt. A warning is not an adequate response for something that if treated as a random crime in a street (hitting someone) would be taken far more seriously.

foft said:
I remember one teacher had a great technique. He was really evil in the first lesson. Going so far as throwing students bags out of the windows for minor stuff. Then after that no-one really misbehaved since they knew how he could be. Also it was funny, which does help get the class to feel you are one of them. But one who has more power.
I frequently took expensive things to school in my bag up to the value of a £500 (~$900) laptop. If the teacher broke that then they would pay me the fuck back or I would make their work life a living fucking hell both litigation and day to day school wise.

A person who is "one of them" but "with more power". That definition fits Hitler well. So students are all Hitler then?

I will explain why this post is so hostile towards you. Once while at school we were in a computer lab doing Mathematics coursework. During this a large and fairly fat boy kept hitting me. I was a rather small boy so there was little I could do to physically defend myself short of magically becoming a bodybuilding and being stronger than the other chap. During one of the teachers talking I was continually being hit while trying to do Mathematics in my head and type it up (fairly difficult) i asked him to stop. I was removed from my seat and brought to the front. I was then shouted at an berrated for 5 minutes. Then I was sent outside. After 45 minutes the teacher came out to the corridor and shouted at me more. His breath smelt terribly of coffee and he kept shouting closer and closer to my head that made my head bang against the wall multiple times to avoid his head hitting mine. He told me if I ever undermined him again that he would "cut you up into little pieces and post a bit of you home each week over the next year to your parents". I tried to explain to him multiple times through all this that I was being hit by another boy which is why i spoke but he was not interested in it at all. He had no idea what I said or why and didn't care. All that happened is that each time I tried to explain the shouting got worse. He almost brought me to tears (his breath alone could do that mind you) and then he started insulting me for that. Since then I have hated him as much as is possible.

Unfortunetly, for my first year of A levels he was the teacher and i got an E (almost a fail). This almost ruined my chances at getting into a good University. Thankfully a different teacher was teaching A level maths the second year and by retaking everything I pulled a high B which was adequate to get me into my University of choice.

Long story short, he was far too harsh especially seeing as I was just trying to get someone to stop hitting me in the first place and I feel that in general he is a terrible teacher.

You cannot hit kids until they intend to kill you, so before you strike kid you need to shout "he/she wants to kill me!"

(my poor South Park - alike citation, sorry never seen that episode in english)

Peter R said:
A line has to be drawn somewhere. You CANNOT hit a child or student, if you think that is acceptable then fuck you and you shouldn't really be a teacher then should you? I would not want my child (if I had one) being taught my someone violent or who even thought it is acceptable to hit a child. Simply put, you are in a position of authority and much physically larger than a child. If i had a child and found out the teacher had hit them then I would march into the school and hit the teacher. That would let the teacher see how it felt. A warning is not an adequate response for something that if treated as a random crime in a street (hitting someone) would be taken far more seriously.

There is a difference between someone violent and someone who loses it once over a 50 year career. I agree that violence is bad, but teachers are human after all.

Regarding the random crime. If a gang were winding me up and I lost it and hit one of them then I do not think I should lost my job/livelihood either. Thats a lot different from the people who just hit people on the street for fun or showing off to their mates. Now if a teacher bullied or hit a pupil to show off to the class that should be a sacking offense...

And no I've never hit someone except when being bullied at school in self defence...

Peter R said:
I frequently took expensive things to school in my bag up to the value of a £500 (~$900) laptop. If the teacher broke that then they would pay me the fuck back or I would make their work life a living fucking hell both litigation and day to day school wise.

Sure, he used some common sense and didn't throw laptops out the window! They were less common in those days (10 years ago). If he broke something then he is a great guy and 99% certain he would pay them back.

Peter R said:
A person who is "one of them" but "with more power". That definition fits Hitler well. So students are all Hitler then?

It fits many people in a position of power. Most managers at work could be descibed similarly. I wouldn't liken them to Hitler - well, maybe some of them:).

Peter R said:
I will explain why this post is so hostile towards you.

I think my view is not that unreasonable. I'm not arguing for violence or swearing in the classroom, but teachers do need to maintain control and they are human. I understand your viewpoint, but respectfully disagree with you on the severity of punishment and lack of forgiveness. fwiw I agree your teacher handled the situation poorly.

quasist said:
You cannot hit kids until they intend to kill you, so before you strike kid you need to shout "he/she wants to kill me!"

(my poor South Park - alike citation, sorry never seen that episode in english)
103_jimboshootsbear.jpg

IT'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!

Great episode.

foft said:
There is a difference between someone violent and someone who loses it once over a 50 year career. I agree that violence is bad, but teachers are human after all.
It is unacceptable for anyone to hit a child. A teacher doesn't get forgiveness from it just like a normal person doesn't. The consequences are just worse for a teacher as it affects their work aswell. I agree in forgiveness for some things but i wonder if something happens once is it not more likely to happen again?

foft said:
Regarding the random crime. If a gang were winding me up and I lost it and hit one of them then I do not think I should lost my job/livelihood either.
See, that is where I have a problem. If they are verbally winding you up then you should not physically relaliate. There is just no warrant for it. If they are attacking you physically then the situation is entirely different.

foft said:
fwiw I agree your teacher handled the situation poorly.
That teachers lack of fairness made me essentially lose all respect for all teachers and see them for the cowardly weak people they are. When a teacher has essentially threatened to chop you up then threats of "detention if you don't do you homework" lose all meaning. Hence, I never did homework again as i didn't feel the need. Only one teacher tried to go against me on this, i.e. she set a lot of detentions, but I forgot them all (not always on purpose, i just genuinely forgot).

Peter R said:
That teachers lack of fairness made me essentially lose all respect for all teachers and see them for the cowardly weak people they are.
It's that same sort of prejudice that led your teacher to lose all respect for students and assume you were just like the decades worth of ill-behaved little bastards that came before you. If you do not want to be the victim of prejudice, it is best to not be the perpetrator of it either.

"me essentially lose all respect for all teachers and see them for the cowardly weak people they are."
Yeah, damn all people with one job. Flight instructors, Ghandi, all of them are asshats.
Learners are guilty by association too.
I think that noone should ever learn anything, in fact im going to forget everything to spite them there teachers.
durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Peter R said:
A line has to be drawn somewhere. You CANNOT hit a child or student
Peter R said:
If i had a child and found out the teacher had hit them then I would march into the school and hit the teacher.
:huh:

WrongEyedJesus said:
You owe me a new monitor, this one now has coffee and spittle all over it.

Nova said:
WrongEyedJesus said:
You owe me a new monitor, this one now has coffee and spittle all over it.

He/she will give you brand new monitor just after he/she finished sega saturn ports...

waffles said:
"me essentially lose all respect for all teachers and see them for the cowardly weak people they are."
Yeah, damn all people with one job. Flight instructors, Ghandi, all of them are asshats.
I think that noone should ever learn anything, in fact im going to forget everything to spite them there teachers.
durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
How many people have a job being Gandhi :huh:

Goity said:
waffles said:
durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
How many people have a job being Gandhi :huh:

One, to be precise. If you could count those that followed him, a large portion of India at one point in time would be included.

Back