Can Someone Tell Me About Standby?

zRichi

Can someone tell me about standby? And boot up times?

On my psp I leave it on standby mid game...this let's me slowly but surely complete zelda on the toilet, in the bath etc.

So can you put it to sleep mid game?

Is there a cut down os planned? One that boots and only plays pnd files?

Thanks for answers

i don't think sleep mode is implemented yet. but it has the potential for it.

cut down os? the os is already cutted down

better answers below.

zRichi said:
this let's me slowly but surely complete zelda on the toilet
Best place to game :)

I believe the original intention was to keep the device in standby all the time. The architecture is pretty good at turning off individual parts.
Though not all power management features have been fully implemented yet. I expect cold boot up time to be around 30 to 60 seconds.

You can count on it that someone will completely strip down the OS and leave just a bare X with minimenu in place to simulate running on bare metal. The default OS is pretty lean already though.

Last edited by a moderator:
neogramps said:
There are two OS options installed already, the default desktop-like environment, and the minimal gaming one (name has escaped me) - which is just as you describe.

Yeah, not quiet right. Those are only GUIs the OS is Ångström and is a stripped down distro for mobile/handheld devices. Then we have the famous DJWillis and other devs who are tweaking the OS almost everyday is seems @ git.openpandora.org. So I would expect a faster bootup time in the future (maybe) and probably even more stripped down and customized for the Pandora. :) It can only get better!

... I want my pandora now

It really depends on what zRichi is after.
When he says a cut down OS to just run the games, the minimal GUI may be just what he's after.
People sometimes confuse what the OS is and actually does etc.

Sleep at the moment will do things like turn off the LCD reduce cpu speed. So it will increase standby a great deal, with instant on.
Proper standby is not yet implemented, but the one that has been should be a very reasonable compromise for most people.

Hibernate, sorry can't remember the state of play.

Like most things OS releated, all this can very well be out of date as it was changing a lot.

zRichi said:

On my psp I leave it on standby mid game...this let's me slowly but surely complete zelda on the toilet, in the bath etc.

When you close the lid it's supposed to go into a 'low power' mode. Reports were that this would allow you to leave the unit for a couple of days, however I had my Pandora charged to about 90% when I went to bed last night, and when I woke up it was at 50% charge, so I don't think those claims are entirely accurate.

I would suggest that you pause whatever game your playing before closing the lid because as far as I'm aware the system is still running (F-Zero's music was still playing when I shut the lid last night - to be honest I think all that's achieved at the moment by closing the lid is the screens backlight being turned off) so if you don't pause the game you might get eaten by monsters before you restore it!

Pleng said:
zRichi said:

When you close the lid it's supposed to go into a 'low power' mode. Reports were that this would allow you to leave the unit for a couple of days, however I had my Pandora charged to about 90% when I went to bed last night, and when I woke up it was at 50% charge, so I don't think those claims are entirely accurate.

I would suggest that you pause whatever game your playing before closing the lid because as far as I'm aware the system is still running (F-Zero's music was still playing when I shut the lid last night - to be honest I think all that's achieved at the moment by closing the lid is the screens backlight being turned off) so if you don't pause the game you might get eaten by monsters before you restore it!

Maybe you should turn of wifi, by default its always on.

@Pleng that defenitaly doesn't sound correct.
WIFI and LCD are the biggest power users I would have thought.

Could you check if you have WIFI on and see if lcd goes off when you close the lid.

But yea, you would need to pause whatever game you was playing.

Na-Noo said:
@Pleng that defenitaly doesn't sound correct.
WIFI and LCD are the biggest power users I would have thought.

Could you check if you have WIFI on and see if lcd goes off when you close the lid.

The LCD does go out, can't remember if I had wifi on last night or not. I might try it again tonight.

craigix said:
Just tap the power button to the right. That's it.

Aha, it there any way to configure this so it happens automatically when the lid is closed?

That is it -- to be precise:

- closing the lid turns off the screen; it is _not_ low power mode -- rational: we figuredyou might want to play music or other tasks while the lid is closed. Turning off the LCD does save quite a bit of power, however.

- hitting the power switch briefly does to 'low power mode' or 'standby'; the cpu is clocked down, the lcd is turned off, networking is turned off; hit power again to restore to the previous state. In low power mode, the system is running, just really slow, and your system should get a few days in this mode before it runs out of batteries.

- and of course, 'off' -- xfce -> logout -> shut down, or minimenu 0-> select -> shutdown, and you're _off_.

jeff

Hmmm sounds very cool. That's sick if you paused the game and the.panda ran.for 8 to 12 hours only using 40 percent!

When the flip is second batch release!

Pleng said:
craigix said:
Just tap the power button to the right. That's it.

Aha, it there any way to configure this so it happens automatically when the lid is closed?

One of the xfce control panels lets you map the power button to show the logout menu, or I think just go to shut down. I forget, as we defaulted not to do that long ago (ie: since not everyone will be using xfce, and since we wanted to go to low power mode instead.)

So usually the power button is managed by pndevmapperd, which has a conf file at /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap if I recall right, and that maps the power button to a sh-script; you can switch or alter that sh-script, or change the eventmap conf to refer to somewhere else. Now, since I made the system way too configurable, you can actually drop the eventmap conf on your SD instead of editing the one in-place in NAND -- ie: so that settings can take place from SD, and if you blow it up, you can just eject the SD to get the factory defaults back. (Or you can reflash if you totalyl bugger it up :)

Anyway, if you want sordid details, let me know :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Now, since I made the system way too configurable, you can actually drop the eventmap conf on your SD instead of editing the one in-place in NAND -- ie: so that settings can take place from SD, and if you blow it up, you can just eject the SD to get the factory defaults back.
There is no such thing as way too configurable. This is good stuff skeezix. Depending on our inserted SD card we can completely customize how the Pandora should behave.

This is making me happy :)

Regarding boot up time, on mine, from the moment I turn it on to the moment I've got a usable xfce desktop, there's exactly 50 seconds.

Murff said:
Regarding boot up time, on mine, from the moment I turn it on to the moment I've got a usable xfce desktop, there's exactly 50 seconds.
I'm assuming that's from a cold boot?

From standby it should be pretty much isntantanious.

@skeezix If there is a situation where we want to fully powerdown to save maximum power, does hibernate work?

Back