Can I Encode At 160x120 Then Double Size Onscreen?

ralp99

i got a long flight (6hr) and a return trip of course coming up. taking advantage of the new free gpcinema, thought i'd bring some shows with me. i only have a single SMC so I was thinking of plunking down for a couple more if it'd be worht the money.

i want to bring a couple hours' worth of shows with me. some of those HBO shows, so I am not too concerned abotu quality (frameskip) so long as sound and picture is ok. i encoded a half hour @30MB at 160x120, and it looks pretty good. it's shitty having it be so small though. I tried 320x240 but of course that doubles the filesize.. i am willing to sacrifice screensize for more show though. but if there was a way to "fill screen" or double size like in windows media player then it would be fine. i am so new to gpcinema/virtualDub - anybody know how to do such a thing? thanks...

no As if you doubled the size it would look crap. It will show up on the gp32 the size it is. Try the bitrate at 128 and lower quality sound. And movies can be brought down to 10fps sometimes.

Frames per second makes little to no difference in resultant size, at least in my experience - like, in converting a movie from 22fps down to 10 (when I was still on Moviepark), the filesize went down by 5mb. Which is negligable considering how much nicer a 22fps movie looks.

Sound does make a big difference. Don't bother with stereo, if you can avoid it; most things sound just about as good anyway.

Screen-size, I have to admit, I've never tried lowering the horizontal value to <320 - so it might work. Somehow, I suspect it'd just show a smaller movie though. That said, 320x160 is actually very watchable once you get used to it; and 320x178 is lovely; it just looks widescreen, and saves a LOT of space.

I have before managed to get Harry Potter 2 (2 1/2 hour film ish) down to very nice quality at 320x168 15fps on around 98mb. Which leaves enough for a couple of TV-shows encoded at 70kbps.

Oh - another note. If you increase the bitrate from 80 to 120, certainly at 10fps, it makes almost no perceivable difference whatsoever. So you can actually get away with lower bitrates than you might otherwise expect.

Especially with cartoons.

Yer welcome :)

Encoding is a bit of a jungle when you first get to it, but you get used to it... Though that said, I've never really ventured outside DivX 4.12...

Back