Caanoo, Noticeably Brighter On The Lower Part Of The Screen

Hwrd

Website
Visit site
Just got my Caanoo and am liking it so far, but I noticed the LCD is very noticeablt brighter on the lower part of the display.

Anyone else seeing this with theirs?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's a general fault with the system.
It's not half as bad as the diagonal tearing the Wiz had though, that was a software headache.

RupeeClock said:
It's not half as bad as the diagonal tearing the Wiz had though, that was a software headache.

Thanks. Nice to know mine isn't otherwise defective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also wondering if mine was defective ... nice to know its not ... kinda.
Good screen otherwise. Too bad GPH couldnt have nailed that final 25 percent and made this console awesome!

Load this PNG into your Caanoo ... and then hate me for letting you see this :p
soliddarkgreen.png

I'm still on the brink of plumping for a Caanoo. I was initially excited but now that I've heard about hidden pixels and now this, I'm not so sure. Would you guys say that these problems weren't really that much of an issue?

Sugar_Kane said:
I'm still on the brink of plumping for a Caanoo. I was initially excited but now that I've heard about hidden pixels and now this, I'm not so sure. Would you guys say that these problems weren't really that much of an issue?

Well, I got a review unit and up until this was pointed out, I never even noticed. And even now, it's not a problem when there's moving images on the screen.

Sugar_Kane said:

I think it really depends on the game, like quake or other shooters doesnt really matter. But some arcade games it might be annoying if the score or something is up there.

Must admit, I haven't noticed this to be honest. I'm using the brightest setting. I'm not loading that png though :D Ignorance is bliss!

traylorpark said:
Load this PNG into your Caanoo ... and then hate me for letting you see this :p
soliddarkgreen.png

Haha, wow! It's only noticeable on dark colours though, and I never notice it when I'm playing games. Definitely shouldn't be a deal-breaker for someone considering buying a Caanoo IMO :)

Same for my Caanoo. Backlight is the most power consumption part of the device(along with CPU). Not an issue on WiZ coz it has AMOLED. So i think it was general idea to keep battery life as long as possible.

Sugar_Kane said:

Actually, I can almost promise you that when you are playing your favorite, mega colorful game, from the 1990s, you won't notice the backlight at all.
As for the pixel cutting, you only notice it on certain arcade games that drove the UI right to the edge. Games made for TV leave a gap between the edge and the content because many TVs would also cut off the edges of the screen.

So, these issues are quibbles .. little things I wish GPH did to make their console amazing ... but they certainly don't destroy the experience for me.

It's definitely noticeable on older games. I was trying MAME and fired up New Rally X, and thought "cool, a remake with a gradient background!" then realzed the gradient was not from the game... :)

I would say it's less noticeable than the "grungy' effect on the AMOLED of the Wiz, amd doesn't ruin the experience like the tearing did on the Wiz. It's not as bad a flaw as the buttons issue on the Dingoo (where you couldn't use X and B at the same time or something like that).

Maximizing the brightness seems to reduce the issue, at least when I tried quickly just now.

RupeeClock said:
One difference though, the tearing on Wiz can be fixed in software (and has on many apps), the un-even lit LCD on Caanoo can't be fixed in software.

Well, it certainly does not matter if you're playing a Gameboy Classic game on OhBoy.
I have the brightness on lowest and I feel that is still more than enough to play indoors.
It really bothered me with Battlejewels though, were the top is fine but the bottom is much, much, much too bright (to the extend that already bright colours get "whited").

Leave it to GPH to get it 90% right (controls, build quality, appearance, ports) and then screw up on something important because they try to save a few cents by not using an LCD display that has LED backlighting from both the bottom _and_ the top.

It seems like a fairly small flaw. Nothing that anyone should freak out about. :p

Back