Caanoo, Noticeably Brighter On The Lower Part Of The Screen

This is an extremely common issue with this sort of display; if you ever saw a PDA, smartphone etc for the 10 years up to this point, you'd be very familiar with this "stage lights" phenomena; its so common I wouldn't call this a GPH problem per se, but a side effect (not all of this sort of display, but many) of the tech that they chose; ca't blame them for picking something so many others also picked..

jeff

skeezix said:
This is an extremely common issue with this sort of display; if you ever saw a PDA, smartphone etc for the 10 years up to this point, you'd be very familiar with this "stage lights" phenomena; its so common I wouldn't call this a GPH problem per se, but a side effect (not all of this sort of display, but many) of the tech that they chose; ca't blame them for picking something so many others also picked..

jeff

My DS doesn't seem to have the slightest hint of that sort of problem. I suspect that a few white LEDS on both the top and bottom of the Caanoo display would prevent the Caanoo's problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh...Clem said:
skeezix said:

jeff

My DS doesn't seem to have the slightest hint of that sort of problem. I suspect that a few white LEDS on both the top and bottom of the Caanoo display would prevent the Caanoo's problem.

I was also thinking that ... I wonder if it's possible to hardware hack the backlight to something more ... uniform?

After using the machine for longer, I noticed that the screen brightness differences depend on how you hold the device. If you tilt the top of it towards you, then the problem dissapears. Conversely if the top is leaning away from you then the issue is stronger.
So a kind of fix is to hold the machine a little bit differently. I didn't measure the angle but it's not so much different as to be uncomfortable or weird (insert nGage ear taco picture here).

My first handheld was an Atari LYNX, so bad battery life or iffy LCD backlighting isnt going to put me off. My old DS phat has the same issues, same as my 1st gen GBAsp, (visible LED hot spots).

GPh devices seem to get a lot more criticism and scrutiny than a lot of other devices out there. If GPh had produced something with half as many hardware/build quality issues as the Pandora they would be getting crazed death threats from some people <wink> on these boards. It's all a bit, meh.

coldfis said:
My first handheld was an Atari LYNX, so bad battery life or iffy LCD backlighting isnt going to put me off. My old DS phat has the same issues, same as my 1st gen GBAsp, (visible LED hot spots).

GPh devices seem to get a lot more criticism and scrutiny than a lot of other devices out there. If GPh had produced something with half as many hardware/build quality issues as the Pandora they would be getting crazed death threats from some people <wink> on these boards. It's all a bit, meh.

I'm thinking this is because the hardware is at a pretty high level now, any noticeable flaws just stand out more in contrast.
That and ... since maybe the DS Lite (while back) and all the way up to modern day with peoples iPhones and what not, we've all gotten used to pretty good, evenly lit LCDs in our systems

I suppose so.

I tend to "tune out" screen issues when playing games, I even liked the original unlit GBA screen when I first got it, so much sharper than anything else I had.

Is it only me, or is the brightness issue better in FW 1.06?
I have the feeling, that the lowest brightness setting is darker than before and so the difference in brightness between top and bottom screen isn't as big, as it was in FW 1.01.

Back