C64 and Frodo

delphiaddict

Still Fresh
Just got my GP32 today!!! :D

First thing I did was put Frodo on it and tried Bruce Lee.

Bruce Lee crashed staright away! :(

So I tried FrodoPC instead.

Bruce Lee worked! :D ...upto a point. After about four screens it crashed but I'm sure it'll improve over time.

What I want to know is, what is the difference between Frodo and FrodoPC? Frodo flickers like crazy on my GP32 but FrodoPC does not. Anybody else notice this?

Ok, I've just found out why the screen flickers. You have to set the Limit speed option to off.

Frodo is less compatible, but faster.

FrodoPC is more compatible, but slower.

I have personally found less than 10 games so far that worked on FrodoPC that didn't work on Frodo. Impossible Mission and Bruce Lee were two of those. I kept both of them on my GP32 (they're so small), but I rarely ever launch FrodoPC.

Congrats on getting the machine, btw. I know how excited you were about it, and like we said earlier, just the C64 stuff is worth the price of admission IMHO.

Flack

Flack,

Thanks for the explanation. Do you have any problems at all with Frodo? Sometimes, when it crashes if I switch the machine back on after a few seconds, Frodo won't load again and the machine either freezes or resets itself. It's as if it needs a certain amount of time to clear out its memory before I can get it to work again. Also, as I said before the screen flickers a lot. I thought it was the Limit Speed option that cured it but it isn't. Turns out that if i increase the brightness then the display becomes pretty solid. Hopefully these things will get sorted out over time.

BTW, for your compatability list, Kickstart II and Dropzone work very well although collision detection in Dropzone sometimes goes awol but it's still a great game. I'd say both were a four or five on your list.

Delphia,

I've actually never had that problem! Usually when Frodo crashes I can just select "reset C64" or "reset GP32" from the Frodo menu. On the few occasions that a game has locked up the whole machine, turning the machine off and back on again has always worked.

Also, mine doesn't flicker at all ... well, that's not 100% true -- I'll say mine doesn't flicker any more than the original c64 did. There are some games like Paperboy that flickered on the original as well. But like Ghostbusters (I'm really not infatuated with that game, it's just #1 on my list so I use it for lots of testing) comes up with 0 flicker at all, and that's running Frodo beta 8. What games are flickering a lot for you, I'll test em out here!

Flack
Kickstart ... pretty sure I wore out a joystick or two playing that. :)

I played through Bruce Lee completely without any problems.
However, the C64 version IS buggy and sometimes crashes - even on the original system!

And... Kikstart was fun, although I liked Kikstart II better :)

Back