Frodo C64 emu help!!!

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Website
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry to bug you guys with this as it may be obvious to you ex-C64 owners out there, I was a Spectrum, SAM Coupe then an Amiga owner before getting the dreaded PC. <_<

But always loved to play me friends C64 though.:D

Anyway, Could Anyone help a C64 virgin out with loading Multi-Part games in Frodo on the GP32, ie. the ones that come on more that one disk/file. I have tried various games such as lemmings, Myth c64 etc. And nothing seens to load, Not even the firt part. :blink:

Most of the single disk games seem to load ok, Just not sure about the multi-loads, Or even if it is possible.:unsure:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Regards

Trooper

If you use the action replay loader on the latest version of Frodo to list the disk directory, then bring the keyboard up and press the letter corresponding to the list (very often B not A), you should find that party loads and runs. Forgive me if I've misunderstood you....

On a side not troop, you took the same journey of discovery as me - Speccy, Sam Coupe, Amiga. Ah... the days of Defenders of the Earth and Fred disk magazine on the Sam... happy happy.. Would be cool if someone could port the sam emulatir 'Sim Coupe' to the GP32 actually!

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, Tried but still no luck, Possibly bad roms.:unsure:

I`ll keep playing lemmings on SMS32 instead, It pretty good. On the plus side there still loads of games/stuff to choose from. :)

Aahh The Sam Coupe, I wrote my first and only game (sort of) on that machine, Mastermind:blink:.

It was in BASIC and alot easier to learn on the SAM than on the spectrum. I actually submited it to a disk magazine (Sam Supplement), Just to give them all a laugh. :D :D :D

Regards

Trooper

If the first part doesn't run then it's probably a duff d64 or prg or isn't quite compatible yet. You could always try it on an emu on the pc (ccs64) first and see if it works with that. With regards to multiloads, when they ask for the 2nd disk to be inserted you just hit "start" then find your d64 with the 2nd disk on and pick this then press "start" to go back to the game and press what ever key the game says to press when you have inserted the disk.

Hope that helps.

PK-StudioX64.

Hey Trooper, I haven't tried it yet, but many of the multi-disk d64 images are "uncracked". In other words, they may still have the original load routines on them. You might try turning on 1541 emulation on Frodo and see if that helps.

I'll try Lemmings and Myth and see what I can get working today (if anything).

Oh, one other thing. If they are multidisk games, don't use the Action Relay menu thing, just try "loading first file on disk". That might make a difference as well.

Flack

trooper posted on Apr 25 2003 said:
Anyway, Could Anyone help a C64 virgin out with loading Multi-Part games in Frodo on the GP32, ie. the ones that come on more that one disk/file. I have tried various games such as lemmings, Myth c64 etc. And nothing seens to load, Not even the firt part. :blink:
Hey Trooper, I just got done doing some testing. I couldn't find the multidisk version of Myth online, but I did find the three disk (2 sides each, equalling six .D64 files) version of Lemmings.

1) Get this image of Lemmings: ftp://arnold.c64.org/pub/games/l/Lemmings...is.original.zip

2) Load Frodo beta 8.

3) Set 1541 emulation mode to ON.

That's it, worked just fine for me. Keep in mind that the 1541 drive (for those who didn't have one) was REALLY, REALLY slow. The Epyx Fastload cartridge sped up loading by between 7x-9x, which made it semi-quick. Loading from SMC makes things go even faster, so by turning on 1541 emulation mode, a file that might have loaded in four or five seconds could take a minute or two. In fact, I think it was 4 minutes or so before Lemmings ever asked me to swap disks.

BTW, the bad news is, it does appear that you had to switch weapons with the virtual keyboard, so you'll either have to develop fast fingers, or pick another favorite game ...

Flack

PS: You are playing this on a real GP32, right? I tried to play with geepee 0.40 and it locked up every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thank you all for the great response. :)

@Axeman

Using the action replay loader works on some of the single disk games, But sadly not on any of the multi-disk ones, Thanks anyway :) .

@StudioX64

You maybe right, I think i may have some duff roms <_<.

@Flack

The 1541 emulation works with some of the multi-disk games, Including the lemmings you posted :D

The ones it never worked with i guess are probably duff roms :( .

You were not wrong when you said the the 1541 emulation was sloooow :blink: . I think i might stick with the single disk games <_< .

Oh BTW, I am using a real GP32, Good ain`t they :D .

Thanks All.

Regards

Trooper

The Commodore 1541 floppy drive hooked up to the C64 via a serial cable. It also had it's own DOS built in, via hardware. These two things made the 1541 almost unbearably slow. Before EPYX released their Fast Load cartridge, I can remember games loading for one, two, or sometimes five minutes. The worst was games like Summer Games, where it would have to load each event ... so it would be play for a minute, load for two or three, over and over.

The Action Relay doesn't work on most of the multi-disk games because they are not cracked. One of the most common copy protections on the C64 was to "mess" with the directory listing, so you're not seeing the actual drive files. You can always try launching the Action Relay and then clicking "load first file", but if that doesn't work, then you'll have to turn on 1541 emulation.

Fortunately, even if you avoid the multi-disk games, there are still literally thousands of games to check out. I'm working on a top ten/twenty list right now (with screen shots, of course -- you know me!)

Anyway, glad it's working ...

Flack

Wow, that IS slow. (At first I just thought it wasn't working.) Is it possible that 1541 emulation might be sped up in a later version? After all, it isn't necessary to emulate ALL of the aspects of the C64 accurately. :D Btw, can you suggest any RPGs that work well?

I've gotten at least one multi-disk game to work (Airborne Ranger). It probably depends more on the disk image and/or game as to compatability, I don't think single/multi disk is the problem.

Rob Simpson posted on Apr 26 2003 said:
Wow, that IS slow. (At first I just thought it wasn't working.) Is it possible that 1541 emulation might be sped up in a later version? After all, it isn't necessary to emulate ALL of the aspects of the C64 accurately. :D Btw, can you suggest any RPGs that work well?
The 1541 emulation isn't "slow", just "accurate". I'm sure it's faster than the old C64 was, actually. The original C64 ran (approx) at 1mhz.

A lot of the RPGs are going to require mucho keyboard input. Assuming you're up for it, I'll try some of the classics out (Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Denethegar, etc) and see how compatible they are.

Flack

Last edited by a moderator:
Back