Frodo C64 Emulator Hope For An Update?

TomVS

Website
Visit site
I mailed mike dawson a while ago as a total newbee because I could not save to d64 files. This is a problem for high scores, saved games, ... It kind of limits this emulator to arcade games released on the c64. The c64 was however capable of much more....

Mike Dawson mailed that this option is implemented in the newer version of frodo and that He might give it a go...

Mr dawson wrote :

Writing to d64 images isn't supported in Frodo. It may be in the future as Christian Bauer has added support to the original version so I might have a go at porting that over.

Mike

HAS ANYBODY heard news about updates,... gpfrodo was the main reason why I bought a gp32 !

Greetings,

Tom

I'd love to hear more on this - I bought my GP32 for gpfrodo too!

it's a great emulator - love the interface and controls, save states would just make it complete. Saving D64 files would be great too.

Ed

Off topic:

Has anyone managed to get Mayhem in Monsterland and Lemmings to work in GP Frodo? I know they are fairly advanced games for a C64, but was just wondering. I am also hoping for an update of Frodo, although it is very good it is not perfect just yet.

Cheers,

I am holding out for an update also, but happy to wait and see...

as for Mayhem - this game will never work on frodo as long as the original version that this is ported from, doesn't. It's one of the few games I can't get to work that I'd really like to, along with Creatures... but at least I can get Creatures 2 to work.

i don't know if this will help you game loading problem's....
i find out of the two .fxe file's...frodopc.fxe load's game's the other one won't....for some reason.

Using CCS64 and a dump of an action replay rom, I can load up a game and freeze it then drop a savestate to a virtual disk. There are 3 options, standard doesn't seem to work, turbo does, and warp*25 only works if you have an action replay installed. Once you transfer this disk to your smc, select the filename you saved to using the dir browser.

Mike Dawson is still working on gpfrodo.
ATM he's trying to implement the chatboard driver, but as Zenocha has some delivery problems (I hope he gets them soon :)), he can't finish that...

Next version should have my nice red and blue C= icon too :D

Id rather he was working on Zip support in all honesty though before anything else...

Glad to hear there is development still going on, as for the chatboard, that seems a bit unnecessary as the virtual keyboard is excellent and carting round a chatboard kind of defeats the idea of the GP32. If there's a C64 game which needs lots of keyboard action, I play it on the computer instead.

Anyway, I too, bought the GP32 for Frodo, and would love to see the following ideas implemented to make it perfect!

1. Save States!
2. Game is paused when menu is selected (sometimes you need to pause in a hurry and using the virtual keyboard here is pretty slow)
3. Quicker ROM menu scrolling (It can be pretty long sometimes - perhaps you could scroll back from the top too.)
4. Perhaps move the frame counter to a menu option and use select for the keyboard so we can free up more buttons to be assigned to keys like the spacebar is.
5. Prefs remembered for each game (such as key assignments and 1541 emulation etc... possibility to preserve high scores)
6. Load any type of game from one option (t64, d64 AND prg etc...)
7. Better compatibility. Creatures, Creatures 2, Mayhem (I know...)

Frodo really is great, I'd love to see a version 1 soon!

®

Hmm, I have just looked at the official Frodo page and here is what the author writes about the newest update:

What's new in Frodo V4.1? The most important changes from V4.0:

Ability to save/load the emulator state to/from snapshot files
Ported to Win32 and Acorn RiscOS
Added Frodo PC, an improved line-based emulation
Sound support for Solaris 2.x
Fixed several bugs in the 6510/6526 emulation

At least the save states seem to be there :)

Back