Pandora C++ Programm run on Pandora

Perusa

Can somebody explain me steb-by-steb.

Which Programm should i use?(Is Visual Studio 2010 a good idea?)

Which Compiler and how did i setup everything?

What's with the SDL? Aww my Head :(

DId i forgot something important?

I'm a  Noob and i just want a hello world saying Programm to run.

It might be wise to start with development on a desktop, for a desktop, for your first 2 or 3 little programs; if you're a complete noobie, try to minimize your obstacles. So make Hello World on your desktop; then make Hello Circle with SDL on your desktop; that'll get you a working program. Then install the on-pandora SDK thats in the repo, and youcan use the IDE or command line to compile your working Hello Circle on the pandora itself, which is pretty easy, and satisfying. Then, lastly, you can work on a cross compiler setup, to compile on your desktop and run it on your pandora.

But doing all at once, might be a bit much :)

(Actually, building all on your desktop and porting to pandora, or building all on your pandora itself, are straight forward; its the cross compiling that is tricky.)

jeff

Im not a complete Noobie :)

I've alreade done a hello world program on the destop.

Then the next step is this with the SDL.

I try it. :)

Forget visual studio.

You can use code::blocks or the lighter geany, both are multi-platforms, and available on Pandora too.

Code::blocks? Is it hard to get used to it? Cause i'm working with Visual studios since i started to learn c++.

Btw. is the qt creator running on the pandora, it is my favourite IDE :) .

If you aren't opposed to editing Makefile projects you can use Visual Studio to build pretty much anything. I used to have a makefile setup for NDS Programming using Visual Studio and an emulator for debugging. I'll see if I can dig it out. Will also get looking into creating a Visual Studio project for the Windows SDK (based on the various others) I'm getting set up for Pandora.

Btw. is the qt creator running on the pandora, it is my favourite IDE :) .
Not that I'm aware of, but I'm certainly interested in it, and I'm tempted to try and compile it myself

I haven't take time to try to compile it yet, and probably won't have time for that for at least 2 or 3 weeks. So if someone want to it, it should be doable with latest code::blocks PND.

I'm a complete noob, and don't have a Pandora (yet), but I can tell you the super simple steps I made to get something from the desktop to the Rasp Pi, which I'm sure must also work on the Pandora

1. install Code::Blocks on both machines.

2. Write everything and test compile on Desktop.

3. copy the code and assets over to the other machine, load it up in Code::Blocks and compile there.

the idea of cross-compiling or connecting across with shells or whatever the hell it is scares me.  But copy/open/compile is fine for me :)

I use Sebt3's cross-compiler setup and it's pretty painless.. you can either use his Virtualbox image or set it up on your own, assuming you have a Linux Desktop. this of course only provides command line tools, but that is all I need.

I've never use the gui part of the codeblock PND, I've just used the command line utilities and what I found was many of the ARM/NEON optimized compiler flags are not setup by defualt and have to include them manually prior to compiling if you want an optimized binary.. Sebt3's cross-compiler sets a lot of these for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Sebt3's cross-compiler setup and it's pretty painless.. you can either use his Virtualbox image or set it up on your own, assuming you have a Linux Desktop. this of course only provides command line tools, but that is all I need.

I've never use the gui part of the codeblock PND, I've just used the command line utilities and what I found was many of the ARM/NEON optimized compiler flags are not setup by defualt and have to include them manually prior to compiling if you want an optimized binary.. Sebt3's cross-compiler sets a lot of these for you.
I will setup some default compiler flags for next build of codeblocks. My question is, wich optmiser flag do I set, -O2 to by safe, or -Ofast to go crazy?

I'm no expert at it, but these are the set environment variables that sebt3's cross-compiler has by default. I'm not sure if somethings are redundant.

Code:
rgillott@rgillott-laptop opentyrian]$ env | grep PANDORA

CPPFLAGS=-DPANDORA -DHAVE_GLES -O3 -pipe -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -fsigned-char
CXX_DEFINES=-DPANDORA -DHAVE_GLESCXXFLAGS=-DPANDORA -DHAVE_GLES -O3 -pipe -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -fsigned-char -I/mnt/utmp/opentyrian/include
CFLAGS=-DPANDORA -DHAVE_GLES -O3 -pipe -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -fsigned-char

Back