Native C++ IDE

ManlyStump

Apologies if any already exist (I couldn't find any at openhandhelds), but are there any plans to get a C++ IDE built for use on the Pandora? I know there are text editors such as gedit, but one that can compile directly and manage full projects would be most advantageous. Dev_C++ and Code::Blocks are both open source, and I believe Code::Blocks to be quite popular. I did notice on Dev-Cpp's site they include instructions on getting the software to build for ARM, but I'm not sure if that has any relation to the compiler itself's ability to run on ARM, but I guess it shows they have at least thought about it?

I am a complete beginner with coding of this nature unfortunately (I'm a .Net developer professionally, a whole different ball game!)

Ah cool, cheers. It's so frustrating having all these different places for apps!

I tried Code::Block but it can't save anything, project or source file

Couldn't save project /media/mmcblk1p1/hello/hello.cbp
(Maybe the file is write-protected?)

Anyone got this message too or am I alone? Would I be better off with another IDE?

thanx

vim+cscope+make = all you need. Maybe chuck some screen in there too.

Torpor: Oh come on! We're talking about IDE here. What you suggest is pretty much 'how to get around without using IDE' :)

gfrancisdev: geany looks cool, thanks, I'll give it a try!

Torpor: Oh come on! We're talking about IDE here. What you suggest is pretty much 'how to get around without using IDE' :)
Vim is an ide : you can build your project using it ([esc]:!make). You can test your project and even debug using it. That pretty much define what an IDE is.

after some testing, geany 0.18 was available as PND, however it was broken; was complaining the config files couldn't be saved/created.

geany 0.19 can also be found as PND and seems to work. However it was flaky and has tendency to shut down unexpectedly.

main problem however is that the configuration screens are way too long and spill out of the screen so you can't really customize anything. The editor also seems to rely on an externally made makefile. I don't know if it's specific to Windows developpers but I'm not much into makefile-making - I feel like choosing options from drop-down lists and clicking a button to compile are less troublesome than typing a big script file. :( After all this tho, I think writing my own makefile and using gedit will be much quicker/simpler that fighting with IDEs that are too big for their own good.

after some testing, geany 0.18 was available as PND, however it was broken; was complaining the config files couldn't be saved/created.

geany 0.19 can also be found as PND and seems to work. However it was flaky and has tendency to shut down unexpectedly.

main problem however is that the configuration screens are way too long and spill out of the screen so you can't really customize anything. The editor also seems to rely on an externally made makefile. I don't know if it's specific to Windows developpers but I'm not much into makefile-making - I feel like choosing options from drop-down lists and clicking a button to compile are less troublesome than typing a big script file. :( After all this tho, I think writing my own makefile and using gedit will be much quicker/simpler that fighting with IDEs that are too big for their own good.

this is why you do a 'sudo opkg install geany' :p shoves it on teh nand, but if you're using the pandora for any serious development you'll want to be running off an sd card anyway

windows can be moved around with shift (left trigger), and no, there's not really anythign like that in linux land, just learn how to use makefiles/autotools, compiling from a terminal is much easier than hunting round for the windows that lets you add something to the include path, so overly complicated

Anyone got this message too or am I alone? Would I be better off with another IDE?

thanx

Yes this is also the problem I had trying to use the C::B PND... unfortunately nobody stepped up to fix this issue.

I got annoyed when playing about with supposed native compiling on PND and having to setup the compiler for the 100th time since it doesn't save anything! O_O

thanx

Yes this is also the problem I had trying to use the C::B PND... unfortunately nobody stepped up to fix this issue.

I got annoyed when playing about with supposed native compiling on PND and having to setup the compiler for the 100th time since it doesn't save anything! O_O

If I am not mistaken I believe an updated version of CB was uploaded which works. Certainly I have been using CBs for about a couple of months now.

Back