Which C++ Ide Do People Suggest

Currently I'm using Visual Studio 2005 but I'm trying to get away from it because its a bit of a resource hog. I've used Netbeans with a c++ plugin which was interesting but it tend to stop wanting to debug my code, dev c++ caught a lot of the mistakes I made in the code but I couldn't even run the debugger, anyone got any suggestions which ide they use?

Honestly, if Microsoft got anything right, it would have to be their IDE. I do alot of linux & device control code, and yet where possible still develop using MSVC 2005 (using cross-platform code); deploying to the device / linux box only when required to test on the actual unit.

That being said, I have heard good things about Eclipse, Dev C++, & Code:Blocks.

--BenT

Sphinxter said:
vi, all that hand holding doesn't help you, it just makes you weak. Cut the cord.
lol, this amused me. I use vi for editing stuff but well.. You need to learn to crawl before you can walk so guided IDE ftw!

Last edited by a moderator:
novaslogic said:
Sphinxter said:
vi, all that hand holding doesn't help you, it just makes you weak. Cut the cord.
lol, this amused me. I use vi for editing stuff but well.. You need to learn to crawl before you can walk so guided IDE ftw!

Hehehe, all the ide you really need. Have vc6 here somewhere, used it a bit, not a real fan of the interface, full set of 5 manuals, a great compiler but I always seemed to wind up using borland products when I did C++ for a living, back when it shipped with zinc and then watcom for quite a while, liked it a lot, the ide had vi emulation. That context sensitive help is seductive stuff. Eclipse because that's what everyone else is doing but it seems a bit clunky but the EPIC perl plugin rocks and having just one environment to deal with when your working in several languages at once makes you overlook the seams showing. I'd pick eclipse if I had to pick an IDE.

Sphinxter said:
novaslogic said:
Sphinxter said:

Hehehe, all the ide you really need. Have vc6 here somewhere, used it a bit, not a real fan of the interface, full set of 5 manuals, a great compiler but I always seemed to wind up using borland products when I did C++ for a living, back when it shipped with zinc and then watcom for quite a while, liked it a lot, the ide had vi emulation. That context sensitive help is seductive stuff. Eclipse because that's what everyone else is doing but it seems a bit clunky but the EPIC perl plugin rocks and having just one environment to deal with when your working in several languages at once makes you overlook the seams showing. I'd pick eclipse if I had to pick an IDE.

Actually tried out code blocks and I really like it. its lightweight, fast debugging. Exactly what I wanted.

Code::Blocks or Visual Studio. VS is really good (especially the debugger) and an industry level tool so it be in your favour to learn how to use it well. I personally use Code::Blocks at home because I find it much easier to deal with for 3rd party compilers.

Back