Release C/C++ Development Tools

run opkg -o $CDEVROOT update, and then you could just do 'addipk python-setuptools'
Is it possible to add this to the startup script of the PND? That way any libraries we want to use with dev is a simple case of copy and addipk?
At the minute, addipk 'knows' about the ipks at openpandora.org/feeds, and it isn't necessary to to run 'update' because the PND already includes the cache file that opkg creates when it updates. It'll be the same for the new version (except it'll also know about angstrom's python feeds), so you'll just be able to run 'addipk python-stuff' and it'll download it.

I'm assuming this makes it accessible from within C++DevTools, but not install to the system, or am I wrong on this?
You're correct - everything goes into cdevtools's appdata directory.

skeezix said:
cython built out of the box as well .. you might want to toss that in, but starting to get out of control?
Nah, I'll probably throw it in with the other stuff you listed. I want the pnd to be properly useful for python development too.

At the minute, addipk 'knows' about the ipks at openpandora.org/feeds, and it isn't necessary to to run 'update' because the PND already includes the cache file that opkg creates when it updates. It'll be the same for the new version (except it'll also know about angstrom's python feeds), so you'll just be able to run 'addipk python-stuff' and it'll download it.
So that's actually better than I was thinking! Nice one!

Cheers

When I run the addipk script to install a library I only get the "Operation not permitted" message. If I add sudo it says something about not being able to create a lock file.

When I run the addipk script to install a library I only get the "Operation not permitted" message. If I add sudo it says something about not being able to create a lock file.

Bummer. Works for me (I test my pnds by booting into a freshly-installed OS as a new user, so what works for me should work for everyone).

Running as 'sudo' definitely isn't the answer because root doesn't know about the relevant environment variables.

The "Operation not permitted" message used to show up with the old version of 'pnd_run.sh' not letting you write in appdata directories you hadn't created but that doesn't seem to be an problem with the new version (the one included with SuperZaxxon).

What happens if, after launching the pnd, you try 'touch usr/bin/gcc'? If that fails, it's a writing-to-appdata issue.

Also, please could you let me know ipk you're trying to add?

"touch: setting times of 'usr/bin/gcc': Operation not permitted"

I wanted to install bison-dev. I'll try completely redownloading the PND, deleting the appdata direcotry. Maybe that helps.

€dit: Didn't work, but I noticed that the working directory is /mnt/utmp/cdevtools1000 - is that intended?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - the appdata dir is correct (I changed it to cdevtools1000 after rebuilding it for SuperZaxxon).

There's nothing weird about bison-dev (it worked for me the other day).

I've gotta go to work, but I'll have a proper look into it tomorrow.

Oh I thought you meant with "appdata dir" the actual folder "appdata" in SDcard/pandora/appdata

Some Users sayd me Try this PND and wow very good Work ^_^

Is ther a Way to install this Files on a SD Card Zaxxon?

Or can you make with next Version an Installer who install the Files directly into my SD System? :)

Some Users sayd me Try this PND and wow very good Work ^_^

Is ther a Way to install this Files on a SD Card Zaxxon?

Or can you make with next Version an Installer who install the Files directly into my SD System? :)

Why would you do this? You can opkg install stuff and it won't mess up your system. Also it will make it easier to see what stuff you compiled and need to package into a pnd.

"touch: setting times of 'usr/bin/gcc': Operation not permitted"

Ok - figured this out. It depends on the underlying file system of your SD card. If it's ext2, then you can write in appdata and 'addipk' works. If it's fat32, then you can't. I'm assuming your sd card is fat32-formatted?

There's not much I can do about this to honest: I can't change how the pnd is mounted from inside the pnd ('cos, by then, it's already too late!). I think pnd_run.sh was written by sebt3 - maybe he knows more.

So, for now, the bad news is: you'll need to run cdevtools from an ext2-formated sd card if you want to use addipk (personally, I boot from a sd-card and just stick my pnds in /usr/pandora/apps, so it's never been an issue).

Well the file system for the OS is ext3 and the data partition (where I have the pandora folder on) is fat32, for the case I want to access data from Windows. But since I mostly use Xubuntu now for most of my work and Windows for gaming, I think I can just repartition it.

I'll test it.

There are more reasons for having the SD-card with the developer tools being ext2 (which I would choose over ext3 on a flash device). In several of the things I tried to compile, the makefile depended on the ability to set attributes in the source tree - I.e. creating a directory with particular access rights, and so on. This didn't work at all on a fat-card. Now, I have no idea how common this is across the board, but since I have tried compiling, oh...4-5 things, and ran into this with at least two of them, it can't be completely unknown, at least...

Now that I think about it, when my OS uses ext3 and the PND wants to create he lockfile for opkg in /mnt/utmp/cdevtools1000//usr/lib/opkg/, shouldn't that work then?

Okay I can't find a way to get PNDs work when I have only the OS partition. Whether I put them into /usr/pandora/apps or /pandora/apps, they don't get recognized. I've been told it should work, but it doesn't. I think I'll just give up.

cyberworm -- it should work; ie: thats how some of the system includedd pnds work, they're included there ;) So you should be able to drop some in beside it. It shoudl even find them magicly and show them in the menus etc, but at worst case.. restarting or re-logging-in should do it too

The conf is currently, for menu (not desktop):

14 [menu]

15 searchpath /media/*/<1>:/media/*/pandora/menu:/media/*/pandora/apps:/usr/pandora/apps # path to depth-search for PXMLs and pnd-files

ie: the top dir of any /media/ (SD or usb hdd/etc), the media/pandora/menu (and apps), and /usr/pandora/apps -- usually within the firmware, and should work from booting from SD too.

jeff

Okay I reverted back to my old state of having one partition for the OS (ext2 this time) and one for my data (fat32 again). I decided to just drop the PND into my home folder to run it from there via pnd_run and it seems to work now. Guess I'll do the coding stuff from there then. Thanks for everyone helping me.

Would it be possible to include a working scons? I tried to install the scripts myself except it doesn't recognize the g++ compiler and gives me "sh: o: command not found"

Would it be possible to include a working scons? I tried to install the scripts myself except it doesn't recognize the g++ compiler and gives me "sh: o: command not found"

I tried scons - downloaded version 2.2, ran 'python setup.py build' and 'python setup.py install'.

It didn't work with the 'hello, world' test because scons doesn't - by default - use environment variables so it can't find gcc/g++ because it doesn't look at the PATH variable.

One way to solve this is in your SConstruct file:

Code:
import os

env = Environment(ENV = os.environ)

env.Program('hello.c')

Hope that helps (I'd never heard of scons before, to be honest).

Back