Buy Gp2x Or Wait For Xgp Mini?

OMars posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:20 PM said:
Actually there are two kinds of Arabs: true arabs(saudi arabia and near that area)and converted arabs(babylonions, berbers, etc.). :)
Are you arab or did you learn that somewhere? ;)
EDIT: Forgot to say "wa alaykum alsalam"!

I've learned something new then!

I'm neither Arab nor Egyptian. I've been to Cairo a couple of times and have worked with both expatriates and nationals there. Awesome part of the world!

That's the other thing i like about the GP2X, it's not so mainstream like the DS and PSP where everyone plays the same games. It'll be interesting to know what the percentage of sales goes to which countries!

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 7 2006 at 12:34 AM said:
Fat Agnus: Actually, now since almost all egyptians talk arabic,they'd rather be considered arabs(including me). Add to that that I was raised in Saudi Arabia almost all my life, and I do have the same religion arabs do(Islam)

And I am not the anti-Christian(or anti-Jewish) type, Heck I rarely watch the news :eek: So I won't be dropping a bomb here any time soon:p

I'm not anti anything except anti-psp. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to know what type of communications do you have between the two cpus. Shared Ram? IPC? FIFO?

But what homebrew or emulators out there tried to use the second cpu? I want to see the source:)

Julius posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
Here is an example of how to use the second cpu for .OGG decoding:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31111

The wiki should also have some infos on that topic.

I think they are communicating via shared RAM, but don't quote me on that since I am no coder.
Right now that doesn't really work. Sure, the OGG decodes on the 940T. But code that runs on the 920T executes 50% slower, making it pretty useless until what problem exists is discovered.. it was great of Dzz to release his work on it, but it's not something you'd want to implement in its present state unfortunately.

Ok guys, I am very close to buying it(sorry for bumping it for the #th time) but I want to know:
1) how does the cap that comes with the gp2x look like? I've seen a different image on the one on play-asia, than on the one on lik-sang, than on the one on gp2x.co.uk
2) Do you think I should buy an extra replacement cap from play-asia or lik-sang/ or a community made one(DaveC and Alvin for ex)?
3) How good is the build quality?

As soon as these questions are answered, I'm ordering one. I hope shipping doesn't take way too long to the place I'm living in. Sorry for the lot of (stupid?) questions.

Thanks.
Extreme Coder

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 12 2006 at 07:15 PM said:
Ok guys, I am very close to buying it(sorry for bumping it for the #th time) but I want to know:
1) how does the cap that comes with the gp2x look like? I've seen a different image on the one on play-asia, than on the one on lik-sang, than on the one on gp2x.co.uk
2) Do you think I should buy an extra replacement cap from play-asia or lik-sang/ or a community made one(DaveC and Alvin for ex)?

As soon as these questions are answered, I'm ordering one. I hope shipping doesn't take way too long to the place I'm living in. Sorry for the lot of (stupid?) questions.

Thanks.
Extreme Coder

1. Look at the image on Play-Asia (Here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-d1-49-en.html scroll down a bit to see the joystick cap) All units now ship with this cap.
2. Only if you're prone to misplacing things (the cap is hard to come off on its own). DaveC no longer makes replacement caps and Alvin? :lol:
3. It's fine. Don't let your Nintendo-weaned little brother play with it though, it wasn't designed for clumsy little kids with sticky hands.

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 12 2006 at 11:15 PM said:

Thanks.
Extreme Coder

The cap that comes on the M2 version is the best I think. I even think it bests mine a little. I used to think the M2 stick wasn't bad although now I have modded mine with a D-pad.

DaveC posted on Sep 12 2006 at 09:30 PM said:
The cap that comes on the M2 version is the best I think. I even think it bests mine a little. I used to think the M2 stick wasn't bad although now I have modded mine with a D-pad.

Well, not your later batch of caps. The one I had on my '2X was a bit large, but I got one for my Wife, and it was made a bit smaller (in circumference) and has since replaced my MK2 cap (with her kind permission of course ;))

It's well and truly the best cap of all, my finger was sliding off the MK2 cap.

Thanks guys. I don't think my finger will be sliding that much since my thumb isn't as large as yours(no offense to anyone). Ok, I'm ordering!

Back