Buy Gp2x Or Wait For Xgp Mini?

Great! I will port my zelda game as soon as possible!

Are the GP2X units sold at play-asia and lik-sang the latest version(MKIII as far as i remember)?

At beginning, i wanted to buy the gp2x from www.gp2x.co.uk, but then when it asks me for the country i am living in, i am surprised to find not egypt or a single middle east country in there:/ guess i will have to buy it somewhere else...

I also wanted to know what do you guys think of the latest shot on my site at www.extremecoder.co.nr

P.S. I have to applaud you guys for the fast replies you have in this forum. I mean, I post a topic, and a few minutes later i find a couple of replies. The speed here is blazingly fast compared to some other forums I visit:D

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 6 2006 at 04:38 PM said:
Great! I will port my zelda game as soon as possible!

Are the GP2X units sold at play-asia and lik-sang the latest version(MKIII as far as i remember)?

At beginning, i wanted to buy the gp2x from www.gp2x.co.uk, but then when it asks me for the country i am living in, i am surprised to find not egypt or a single middle east country in there:/ guess i will have to buy it somewhere else...

I also wanted to know what do you guys think of the latest shot on my site at www.extremecoder.co.nr

P.S. I have to applaud you guys for the fast replies you have in this forum. I mean, I post a topic, and a few minutes later i find a couple of replies. The speed here is blazingly fast compared to some other forums I visit:D
The latest version is MKII and it is sold everywhere gp2x's are sold.

Edit: Are you Arab?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and yes OMars, I am an Arab(an egyptian to be precise). I take it there's no problem with that, right?:D

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 6 2006 at 04:50 PM said:
Thanks and yes OMars, I am an Arab(an egyptian to be precise). I take it there's no problem with that, right?:D
No problem at all, I'm Arab too!!!!!!!! :D From Iraq...

Ah, how pleasently surprising!
Salam Alaykum Brother!

Oops, looks like this is getting way too offtopic.

Anyway, since F-Zero is one of my favorite games(for both the SNES and GBA) I want to ask, what's stopping the gba and snes from being emulated perfectly? Is it just a matter of time? Or is the hardware not powerful enough?

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 6 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
Salam Alaykum Brother!

Anyway, since F-Zero is one of my favorite games(for both the SNES and GBA) I want to ask, what's stopping the gba and snes from being emulated perfectly? Is it just a matter of time? Or is the hardware not powerful enough?

Matter of time

GBA&SNES: only a matter of time and a dedicated ASM coder

The picture on your page: The Link looks really nice ;) Looking forward to your Zelda Game (If you need help with models later on I might be able to help).

Where to buy: Linksang is cheap but they have a lousy service. Either use that Turkish distributor http://www.gp2xtr.com/ (also responsible to a large part for the BoB) or I can highly recomment EvilDragons shop& service (here in Germany, but he ships elsewhere too): www.gp2x.de
Otherwise have a look here: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Where_to_Buy%3F

Last but not least: Arab??? Ahhh run for your life, we are beeing infiltrated by terrorists :p j/k

Off-topic:

That's rare to hear and read. I thought that regardless of ethnicity, the vast majority of Egyptians do not consider themselves Arab. Instead many are offended if you were to refer to them as an Arab. either way...

The XGP or XGP Mini ought to be interesting if its released, inshallah. :)

Fat Agnus posted on Sep 6 2006 at 06:12 PM said:

Off-topic:

That's rare to hear and read. I thought that regardless of ethnicity, the vast majority of Egyptians do not consider themselves Arab. Instead many are offended if you were to refer to them as an Arab. either way...

The XGP or XGP Mini ought to be interesting if its released, inshallah. :)
Actually there are two kinds of Arabs: true arabs(saudi arabia and near that area)and converted arabs(babylonions, berbers, etc.). :)

Are you arab or did you learn that somewhere? ;)

EDIT: Forgot to say "wa alaykum alsalam"!

Julius posted on Sep 6 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
Yes at I believe that DS/PSX/N64 level 3D graphics are archevable with the GP2X given some time and a software renderer written in ARM ASM.

This isn't at all true; probably something sub-PS1 level..

i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 6 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
Extreme Coder posted on Sep 6 2006 at 05:04 PM said:
Salam Alaykum Brother!

Matter of time

SNES emulation probably never becomes full-speed with full graphics implementation but it may get close if someone writes a fully-ASM graphics core for it. As it stands if you can sacrifice transparencies, most games run great though. GBA is a matter of time since the GP2X even shares the same CPU variety. Performance of both would be much better on an XGP unit due to true 2D acceleration, though.

Fat Agnus: Actually, now since almost all egyptians talk arabic,they'd rather be considered arabs(including me). Add to that that I was raised in Saudi Arabia almost all my life, and I do have the same religion arabs do(Islam)

And I am not the anti-Christian(or anti-Jewish) type, Heck I rarely watch the news :eek: So I won't be dropping a bomb here any time soon:p

Epicenter: I always thought that the GBA was more powerful than the SNES. You could always emulate the GBA and use snesadvance:p

About the shops: I couldn't make a word out of that Turkish site... how much does the shipping cost at Dynamism?

Oh, and I want to know for how long was the GP2X was released:)

The GBA is more powerful than the SNES, but since the GBA's ARM7TDMI and the GP2X's ARM920T are compatible instruction-set wise, the GBA program code can be compiled statically to run natively on the GP2X so CPU emulation is not needed at all. This is not the case with the SNES.

It's been out since about November of last year.

Epicenter posted on Sep 7 2006 at 02:44 AM said:
Julius posted on Sep 6 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
Yes, I believe that DS/PSX/N64 level 3D graphics are archevable with the GP2X given some time and a software renderer written in ARM ASM.

This isn't at all true; probably something sub-PS1 level..

Not trying to start a debate here, but the GP2X runs PS1 level graphics right now already. Quake1 is a not extremly optimised port that still doesn't use the second CPU, and the graphics are definitly on PS1 level (admitably not runnung at 60fps, but very playable).
Heck... it emulates PS1 graphics already at a two digits fps count B)

Unless it can handle it at over 30 FPS, I don't consider that level of 3D work to be ideal for the platform, really. Rendering Quake or a PS1 scene is a huge taxing workload for the 920T alone; I expect it'll be about on par when the 940T is effectively involved. N64-level though? That's being much too generous.

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 7 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
About the shops: I couldn't make a word out of that Turkish site... how much does the shipping cost at Dynamism?

You can contact the shop directly via this board ;)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showuser=6611

Just as the German distributor from Gp2x.de (user EvilDragon) or CraigiX from gp2x.co.uk

Generally I would advise to use one of these "community endorsed" shops as they have contributed greatly to the community (via competitions and donations etc... actually without them the gp2x would exist), and the service in case of a defective GP2x is generally much better with these shops.

I am all decided to buy a gp2x in about two weeks(i will actually buy it after one week, just shipping,etc...)
I've looked around here and see many references to BOB,USBNet, and some other terms... So that raised some of my questions:
1) What exactly is a bob? I've read around here, but I want to know how useful it is, and its size(how portable). Do any of the shops sell them?

2)AFAIK, USBNet is used to connect to a wifi network(or access point). Do you have to manually configure the GP2X manually for the network, or is there some kind of auto-configurator/wardriving app around here?

3)Do you recommend buying any other hardware besides the GP2X, a tv-out cable, and an ac adaptor?

Thanks again guys.
Extreme Coder

1) the extension port at the bottom lets you connect not only the TV-out but also full USB1.1 host connectivity among other usefull things.
There have beens some selfmade "boxes" to "break out" (hence break out box) all these connections to usefull connectors at once, and GPH has released some boards for developers without casing (but a consumer ready version with a stand and everything you need to turn your GP2x into a full blow homeconsole should be available soon).
It's not particulary portable, since it needs an external power connection, but some people are modding their gp2x to have such capabiulities portable too.

2) USBNet lets you connect your GP2x to a computer via the USB port via a special protocoll and you can share other connections (like wifi, internet etc) with it too.
No real point in having a wardriving app for that, as you can run that on the computer as well.

3) Instead of buying a TV-out cable you could wait for the finnished BoB with has this ability build in too (but it is less portable than the cable).

Extreme Coder posted on Sep 8 2006 at 03:44 PM said:
I am all decided to buy a gp2x in about two weeks(i will actually buy it after one week, just shipping,etc...)
I've looked around here and see many references to BOB,USBNet, and some other terms... So that raised some of my questions:
1) What exactly is a bob? I've read around here, but I want to know how useful it is, and its size(how portable). Do any of the shops sell them?

2)AFAIK, USBNet is used to connect to a wifi network(or access point). Do you have to manually configure the GP2X manually for the network, or is there some kind of auto-configurator/wardriving app around here?

3)Do you recommend buying any other hardware besides the GP2X, a tv-out cable, and an ac adaptor?

Thanks again guys.
Extreme Coder
1) A board with Powered USB, video and audio out, and other ports. I don't think it is portable at all. It's small but it needs a power supply. The only thing I can think of doing with it is attaching an external HDD. ;)
2)?
3) Get a 2GB+ SD card and that's it.

Enjoy it! :D Ma'asalama!

Back