• NSEW (compas layout)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1234 (generic layout)

• Don't care

• Total voters

javaJake said:
Erm, is this counter-clockwise from the bottom button?
The names aren't in a consistent order. If you need a reference, Kagato posted an illustration here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted in detail in the other button thread, but I'd avoid NSEW because of the danger of people presupposing Pandora's original purpose to be a map reader. There are pragmatic concerns with any non-arbitrary layouts.

I choose NSEW because its an original idea. But i ultimately don't care, considering i can make each button do what ever i want. It just comes down to the cosmetics of the pandora.

I put XBox simply because I like that manner of control.
In the end, it really depends on the ergonomics of the Pandora, if the bottom button is most comfortable to press, then that should be A.
I could even be coaxed into having A top and B right if it meant that it was the most comfortable ergonomics.

I'm just concerned that in cramming the Pandora full of stuff, the ABXY buttons will be pushed too far to the right to be ergonomic.

Sphinxter said:
None of the above and I think you would have to be a complete moron to use anything but the same layout as the GP2X.
Seconded. I thought being able to run GP2X software (comfortably) pretty much out of the box was a big deal. Changing the button letters for no good reason whatsoever would make little sense.

Alex. said:
Sphinxter said:
None of the above and I think you would have to be a complete moron to use anything but the same layout as the GP2X.
Seconded. I thought being able to run GP2X software (comfortably) pretty much out of the box was a big deal. Changing the button letters for no good reason whatsoever would make little sense.

Really? In the other thread, not one person suggested keeping the GP2X layout. I don't recall anybody being terribly happy with the arbitrary button labeling when it came out. I thought this could give us a fresh start with a layout that made more sense, either from an emulation standpoint (SNES) or a logical standpoint (NSEW).

I cannot edit the poll now, so maybe a mod can delete this one and re-do it with the GP2X option.

Alex. said:
Sphinxter said:

Word. When you add that 99.9% of the software ported to it upon it's release will most likely be from the GP2x it makes the idea of changing it to something else sound even dumber.

Ok, what are the systems to be most commonly emulated? Snes, Genesis, Nes, (hopefully PSX, GBA), PC (Dos). But Psx (symbols), Genesis (ABC) and PC (nothing common?) don't have much chance to consistency. Meanwhile Snes, Nes, GBA are all naturally Nintendo-style.

GP2X? Just because they made a mistake with that layout before shouldn't mean we have to repeat it to ensure backward resemblance. Or else we'll have the same situation when the next "Pandora" arrives, and until that we're stuck with the same goofy layout.

I chose XBox because it seems pretty comfortable on a wider range of platforms. I don't know about the GP2X though, I have never used it before; it looks a little bit confusing, (impulse habits, but I would probably get used to it after a few months) who knows, it might be great.

I chose NESW. I actually prefer something that uses neither letters or numbers. But that's the best option in the poll to me.

I certainly don't want the GP2X layout though. I hate that layout.

icurafu said:
If they are trademarks, I can live with WASD. :D
Hah, i like it. Intuitive to any PC gamer, unique, and easy to communicate. Bit odd to have both a Dpad and wasd but that's a pretty minor issue.

Spectralist said:
icurafu said:
If they are trademarks, I can live with WASD. :D
Hah, i like it. Intuitive to any PC gamer, unique, and easy to communicate. Bit odd to have both a Dpad and wasd but that's a pretty minor issue.

As much as it seems like a good idea, the layout of the buttons would be different from keyboard layout. Imagine, "Press W to continue." Doesn't "Press A to continue" sound better? :p

I'd rather stick with any familiar console layout.

I for one liked the concept that *Insert-name-I-can't-remember* did with the Greek letters. It's very original and most of the emulated game really only have A and B as the "core" action buttons.

Sobek said:
I for one liked the concept that *Insert-name-I-can't-remember* did with the Greek letters. It's very original and most of the emulated game really only have A and B as the "core" action buttons.
Hit Omega to continue, Zed for options, and Alpha to attack.

Back