Bsd Games

Prometheus

Ok, I didn't really want to contribute to cluttering the forum or anything, but I was just curious as to whether the bsdgames package would be ported to the Pandora, or if it's just a matter of a quick recompile or such that I could do on my own time. (I don't mind compiling things - it's just that I don't know what might or might not need changing to make it work. :p)

I really happen to like the snake game from the package, you see - it's my favourite terminal-based timewaster aside from fortune. It's not the eat-yourself-to-death game, because in bsdgames that's worm. It's a money-collecting chase game where you run from a hungry snake. :p

(Pardon the italics. I figured it would be more readable to apply that to the package and program names. :p)

Prometheus said:
Ok, I didn't really want to contribute to cluttering the forum or anything, but I was just curious as to whether the bsdgames package would be ported to the Pandora, or if it's just a matter of a quick recompile or such that I could do on my own time. (I don't mind compiling things - it's just that I don't know what might or might not need changing to make it work. :p)
It should be doable. I notice that there is a Debian package for ARM. I don't know if that'll work as is on Pandora, but it's a promising sign.

My impression, from trying to compile bsdgames on one of my systems, is that it's not the easiest thing in the world to compile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. It's a bit blah that it's not so easy to compile, though. Still, with any luck it may not be a problem to use the ARM package, as you state (that thought occurred to me after I posted originally, but I forgot to come back and mention it :lol: I also wasn't sure on the endianness, and couldn't seem to find armel listed to search through packages for), just as long as the dependencies are ok to go, I assume...

AFAIK Pandora will use debian (or debian derived distro) so you can simply do:

apt-get source bsdgames
apt-get build-dep bsdgames
cd bsdgames/
debian/rules binary
dpkg -i ../*deb

cosurgi said:
AFAIK Pandora will use debian (or debian derived distro) so you can simply do:

apt-get source bsdgames
apt-get build-dep bsdgames
cd bsdgames/
debian/rules binary
dpkg -i ../*deb
That assumes that we will have the development tools on the device itself (which I REALLY hope we do). Unless of course, apt will grab the devtools for us off the repository.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back