Broken SMC:((

smash

Website
www.angelfire.com
okay, My new 128meg smc is broken i think... I've got things to load (well only the free loader) from the card, but when i try to format it with pc-link all i get is the same error over and over...PLEASE HELP, oh and i've changet the batterys and i've formatted the card With windows(many times).would low-level formatting it in fat12 do ANYTHING, and if so dose any one know of the software to do it?

EDIT: also, when i get free launcher to run, all it does it flash somehting in keroan but it says sonething SMC.

Look at my answer here, you probably have to use other tools instead of PC-Link that don't check so much stuff before formatting the thing:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=1806

If you get it to work, flash Mr. Spiv's MultiFW, then you have PacRom included which can format the SMC by itself, could be handy as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
smash posted on May 25 2003 said:
thanks, but can you tell me about a command line tool that would work in xp?
Got a Mac, sorry. I simply typed "maclink format" and my SMC was fine again, maybe there's some Windows tool out there that does the same thing... wasn't it simply called "pclink"?

You don't have to format it using PC-Link if you have a card reader... just create all the directories the GamePark needs using the reader.
This works, too :)

smash does your smartmedia card run at a 3.3 operation voltage?

The most important thing when buying a SMC is to make sure it runs at 3.3v, which is the only volatage that is compatible with the GP32. It's the main reason why 256mb smartmedia cards cannot be used at the moment, due to the fact that they dont run at 3.3v (they run at 5v i think).

It could possibly be the reason why your SMC reader is reading the card properly, but the GP32 isn't.

Good Luck!

They must be 3.3 volts if the diognostic mode sees them and i can play mp3s ;) I really dont want to go through returning my gp32 to play-asia :(

Drewus posted on May 26 2003 said:
smash does your smartmedia card run at a 3.3 operation voltage?
Don't worry about voltages, a 5V SMC has the other edge cut off, so it simply wouldn't fit into a GP32!

EvilDragon posted on May 25 2003 said:
You don't have to format it using PC-Link if you have a card reader... just create all the directories the GamePark needs using the reader.
This works, too :)
If it's the same problem I mentioned it does not work!

I used a card reader and both a Mac and a Win98 machine, and while both could use the SMC without problems, the GP32 still choked on it. I don't know what it was that irritated the GP. Maybe if you cleared the SMC with zero bytes before formatting it properly could help?

There was a thead about smc reader compatability (can not remember the link), One reader in particular was outlined as not to work with the GP32. People where/are selling it on ebay, It was yellow and made by PQI and didn`t support fat12 and maybe fat16 file system.

Could this be the one????

i-1.JPG

Trooper

trooper posted on May 26 2003 said:
There was a thead about smc reader compatability (can not remember the link), One reader in particular was outlined as not to work with the GP32. People where/are selling it on ebay, It was yellow and made by PQI and didn`t support fat12 and maybe fat16 file system.
If anyone knows why exactly a card reader wouldn't work with GP32 SMCs, please tell us! I can't imagine why. The FAT12 format sounds unlikely, since I used all my cardreaders with Mac OS and tried to format my SMCs with HFS (the Mac FS) successfully, and this is even more exotic than FAT12.

So my wild guess would be, that any card reader that's compatible with Macs should work with the GP32 without any problems ;)

Hey smash,

Do you know anyone with a digital camera that uses SMC cards???. If so, Try formating the card in a camera. :unsure:

This is just a possibility as it works for me with CF cards and my Psion series 5. But never worked by formating through the card reader, As the Psion could not detect/read the card. :(

Just an idea.

Trooper

I've got thesame problem with 2 SMC bought into some store close to my house, but when i bought my SMC at entware there wereno matter, then i have to tell you only one think buy you cards at entware or other store selling GP 32 ;)

Thanks for trying to help out everyone :) but nothing has worked.(i havent tryed the digital camera thing because i cant.) I thing i'll just have to get my GP32 replaced :( Could it just be that my cards are 128 megabytes?

As i tell you, i think the problem is not from your GP 32 but from the SMC, does other SMC work on your GP 32 ?

I had this Problem too so here is the solution:
1. Plug the USB cable
2. Turn the GP32 on, set it to pc-link mode
3. Format the SMC card and it will tell you error!
4. Shit on the error message.
5. Format again repeat step 1-3 until you can expand the main folder by clicking on the little plus (at the folder-tree on the right side of the pc-link Software)
6. Install Freeloader software try if it works else turn off and repeat step 2-6.
7. copy bios dumper to gpmm directory and close the pc-link software, now start the bios dumper.
8. go to pc-link mode again, copy fw.bin to your harddisk.
9. copy bios flasher to gpmm, copy multifirmware to root directory, run bios flasher
10. pray that it works!
11. connect only with pc-link-bios by Darkfader from now on.
12. cry out hossiannah and send me thank you.
Hope this can help You.
P.S. Read the readme.txt of every program I described to use, for detailed instructions hot to use them.
Dont be disappointed, it took me one week to master this bit**, cu**, a*shol*, sh** problem, your SMC is not broken dont believe them.

Back