Broken Lcd - Couple Of Questions

mrben

Still Fresh
A friend of mine agreed to lend me his GP2X while he finished the last 6 months of degree. Hurrah!

Sadly, he's had some problems with the post office, and the unit arrived with a completely cracked LCD :( The unit powers on fine, and you get the startup tones, but the screen is completely dead.
(See here for a picture)

So - 2 questions:

1. If I buy a TV-Out cable, will I be able to use the unit OK? (Obviously, not "on the move", but hopefully enough to persuade my wife to buy me one of my own for my birthday ;) )

2. Is there any way to get this particular unit are repaired? I'm guessing no, as I would imagine it would be more expensive than a new unit, but I thought I would check.

Thanks

You should be able to use the tv out. However you have to activate it, and without screen you have to do this blindly. Lets see...

Ok, hook up the 2X to the TV, power on the TV, power on the GP2X. Then press left, B, left, up, B, then either: [B for NTSC] [right,B for PAL]

You should now see the GP2X menu on your screen. If not, switch to the correct channel.

Fishbong posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:16 AM said:
You should be able to use the tv out. However you have to activate it, and without screen you have to do this blindly. Lets see...

Ok, hook up the 2X to the TV, power on the TV, power on the GP2X. Then press left, B, left, up, B, then either: [B for NTSC] [right,B for PAL]

You should now see the GP2X menu on your screen. If not, switch to the correct channel.

Excellent! Thanks for that. TV-Out cable now on order from gp2x.co.uk :)

Presumably here I will also be able to enable things like the USB networking, and perhaps SSH (or is it just Telnet) into the gp2x from my PC?

Vimacs posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:24 AM said:
you should send it in for repair and/or claim the money from the post office.

Well - it's not mine (only on loan), so the owner is claiming from the post office. It's a tricky one - if you look at the rest of those photos you'll see that there is zero damage to the packaging and casing; the only thing I can imagine is that it was placed somewhere really cold overnight, and then taken somewhere warmer, causing the glass to crack. Hopefully they'll refund him.

Is it possible to get these repaired? Any ideas on what the cost is likely to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon from gp2x.de in germany repairs GP2Xs. But the LCD panel is rather easy to interchange, i´d just ask him to sell me a new panel.

EDIT: Oh, and if you want to activate TV out, you have to wait a little until the OS has loaded. It usually takes 30 seconds or less.

Fishbong posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:58 AM said:
EvilDragon from gp2x.de in germany repairs GP2Xs. But the LCD panel is rather easy to interchange, i´d just ask him to sell me a new panel.

Cool. I've sent them a mail to get a quote. Thanks for the tip :)

Fishbong posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:58 AM said:

OK - I'm on my way to hopefully getting a replacement (thanks to EvilDragon). Just to confirm - _how_ easy is it to replace (for a relatively cack-handed newb like me) ? (And are there any instructions online for doing it?)

i dont think so, shouldnt be to hard through, just open the unit, remove the pcb, losen the tft conenctor, slide the cable out, unclick the tft from the case, click in the new one, slide in the conenctor, close the connector, reasamble.

Back