Need Help: Broken Joystick

aloishammer

Still Fresh
The joystick on my F100 has broken. :( I've followed the tips on the GP2X Wiki for wiggling and turning and twisting it: I'm pretty sure the spring or something else has completely croaked. The official GP2X site doesn't appear to have any contact information for factory service-- or much of anything else. I can't find replacement parts for the GP2X-- of any kind.

Is there anything I can do, or am I going to have to junk the unit? I'm open to pulling the unit apart and soldering things if I have to, but there's precious little information about finding or installing replacement or substitute parts.

AloisHammer said:
I've followed the tips on the GP2X Wiki for wiggling and turning and twisting it
First remove the plastic cap and keep in mind that there is no spring in the stick. Even if the stick is completely detached from its base, twist it again until it meets its hole. Don't hesitate about applying force: you think it is already broken, right? Actually you need a bit of force, a bit of skill and a bit of luck to place the stick in place. I needed five minutes and a couple of pliers to mend my stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note about removing the old stick:

It can be very tricky to desolder some of the pins, if your using every-day store bought equipment. The joystick casing sucks away too much of the heat, making it tought to use de-soldering braid. The easy way is to just cut the pins with a dremel or tiny snips, and remove them one by one.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I've updated the <a href="http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2X_Issues">GP2X Wiki</a> with replacement part info.

And, in related news, apparently weird enough to be true: I threw my GP2X in the trash out of frustration a couple of days ago. I fished it back out so that I could pull it open again to look for part numbers. The joystick is re-anchored.

I think I'll keep those replacements on hand when they arrive, just in case.

Back