broken Atari 2600 (CX2600) = free + shipping costs

hitbyambulance

Website
troubletype.org
i have an Atari 2600 that doesn't display any image (or play any sound, for that matter). there are two labels on the bottom that indicate the C010444D and the C010745 ICs are bad - i attempted to replace these, but no go (could be because i zapped the replacements with static electricity, or that i got a bum part...) and having this thing around just reminds me of my failure at repairing it. 

i'll post a picture here if there's any interest. your price = free + shipping from Seattle, WA.

I'm not the one who's interested, accepting that would be very irresponsible of current me, but an Atari 2600 case would be one of the coolest possible cases to build a micro desktop PC within.  I definitely agree that this isn't something that should be thrown away when it stops working.

see thread subject :)

I'm not the one who's interested, accepting that would be very irresponsible of current me, but an Atari 2600 case would be one of the coolest possible cases to build a micro desktop PC within.  I definitely agree that this isn't something that should be thrown away when it stops working.
that is a possibility. best case scenario (ha ha) is to get the thing working again, but definitely won't throw it out.

weird, my response didn't get posted.

this was made in Taiwan. it's definitely not a 'heavy sixer'. (if it was, i would for sure keep it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a heavy sixer about 10 years ago dirt cheap and didn't think it would be hard to find another one at that price.  That is the only one I am still looking for...

Mine's a heavy sixer :)

But the label wrap around the switches is a in very bad condition.

Cost me a tenner which I think is ok, still plays my carts at least

I've often thought about the possibility of getting a screen and keyboard under the ridged front part of one of these cases. So you could flip up the front and there'd be a screen attached to the underside of the top, and a keyboard in the base. Still enough room for an R-Pi or something similar to power it.. and a blank cart permanently inserted, with the SD card slot in it's top.

What is a heavy sixer? o_O
Earliest model, made in the USA, few were made compared to other versions.  There are some little design changes, but I don't think there are any real differences that matter to those who are just playing games.  It gets a bit more attention from collectors since it is less common, and the earliest one made.  Even those using something that benefits from easy access to all switches can use the version from the next year.  Edit:  It is heavier than the later version, and has all six (big) switches easily accessible from the front, so that is where the name comes from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back