Breaking Nintendo Ds News

Kop_007 posted on Sep 21 2004 at 06:58 PM said:
Shinneri, I heard that it's GBA only , not GBC/GC?

Yeah, I think I might have been wrong in saying it did GBC or GB. PlanetGameCube says "Input/Output: Ports for both Nintendo DS Game Cards and Game Boy® Advance Game Paks, terminals for stereo headphones and microphone ", so, yeah, probably no GBC or GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
shinneri posted on Sep 21 2004 at 08:24 PM said:
Shinneri, I  heard that it's GBA only , not GBC/GC?

Yeah, I think I might have been wrong in saying it did GBC or GB. PlanetGameCube says "Input/Output: Ports for both Nintendo DS Game Cards and Game Boy® Advance Game Paks, terminals for stereo headphones and microphone ", so, yeah, probably no GBC or GB.

They might assume saying a GBA port also means a GBC/GB port, since the current GBA is setup like that.

Edit: You know, I just realized something...the GBA has a pretty good homebrew scene. Since the DS will be able to use GBA carts, will this mean we can use homebrew GBA programs on the DS with a flash cart (if it works)? NES and PCEngine emulation right off the bat?

:D this sounds awesome(i still am going to play my gp32)but i mean listen gba compatable, the 3d engines, touchscreen, and backlit. this is like a dream come true because it comes out on my b-day isnt that exciting(well for me anyways) it will be the best b-day present eva :D :D

with ds coming out on november, psp is going to have a hard time since it's coming out around may-june of next year

Lethe posted on Sep 21 2004 at 11:59 PM said:
with ds coming out on november, psp is going to have a hard time since it's coming out around may-june of next year

I agree. The PSP is going to have a HUGE uphill battle. Not only do they have to worry about the DS, but it will probably retail for at least $300... twice the price of a DS. And then you factor in the rumored 1 1/2 hour battery life, and, wow, Sony's got a potential problem on their hands.

Battery life killed Game Gear. Can't help but fear the same fate for the PSP...

its not may or june. its actually march. and sony is "supposedly"not worried about the ds.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/345/C3222/

and no matter how expensive the psp will be, i will definately get it because it has better characteristics such as the use of umd.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/345/C2827/

ahh just for the hell of it here's the specs of psp
http://www.vidgame.net/SONY/psp.htm

one site says $450 for the system while couple others say around $250-$350 but you gotta admit. the psp crushes the ds in technical specs

Lethe posted on Sep 22 2004 at 06:51 AM said:
and no matter how expensive the psp will be, i will definately get it because it has better characteristics such as the use of umd.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/345/C2827/
I don't think that UMD was a good choice. Solid state is the way to go for a portable handheld imo. I have a md player which works fine yeah, but solid state just makes more sense with little/no load times. Perfect for pick up and go.

generalnmx posted on Sep 22 2004 at 01:30 AM said:
shinneri posted on Sep 21 2004 at 08:24 PM said:
Shinneri, I heard that it's GBA only , not GBC/GC?

They might assume saying a GBA port also means a GBC/GB port, since the current GBA is setup like that.

Edit: You know, I just realized something...the GBA has a pretty good homebrew scene. Since the DS will be able to use GBA carts, will this mean we can use homebrew GBA programs on the DS with a flash cart (if it works)? NES and PCEngine emulation right off the bat?

Never thought about that. What else does the GBA do well?

I may be getting a little bit hopeful here, but would this mean being able to create homebrew apps for the DS aswell? Using the full DS hardware, or would that not be possible through using the GBA slot?

Probably a noobish question. :blink:

I was waiting for that one. More than likely not, as it is probably GBA hardware inside the DS, much the way the GBA was set up.

About GBC/GB compatibility...if the GBA port doesn't also contain a GBC/GB port, there IS a decent GBC/GB emulator for the GBA if you can believe it. I just hope that Nintendo didn't find some way of disabling Flash Carts.

generalnmx posted on Sep 25 2004 at 06:54 PM said:
About GBC/GB compatibility...if the GBA port doesn't also contain a GBC/GB port, there IS a decent GBC/GB emulator for the GBA if you can believe it. I just hope that Nintendo didn't find some way of disabling Flash Carts.
There is a decent GB emulator, but no GBC ones yet. The GB emulator does play GBC games that were playable on a mono gameboy, but only in black and white. Though there's this thing you can buy called a GB Bridge which you plug your flash cart into which lets you play GB/GBC roms.

Steve-O posted on Sep 25 2004 at 10:04 PM said:
has teh price of the PSP Been announced yet ??
No, but you can safely presume it will be at least double the DS's.

Back