Brand New Guy- Needing Help And Advice

zimsjim

Still Fresh
I want to buy a Caanoo because of the ability to play NES, SNES and Arcade games mostly of the past. Is there a list somewhere of games that are available? A searchable list to see just what it is that i could actually download?

What other things do I need to know about it? I am brand new, so easy terms please! thank you so much

zimsjim said:
I want to buy a Caanoo because of the ability to play NES, SNES and Arcade games mostly of the past. Is there a list somewhere of games that are available? A searchable list to see just what it is that i could actually download?

What other things do I need to know about it? I am brand new, so easy terms please! thank you so much

First of all, the vast, vast majority of games for the platforms you mention are available to download on various sites across the net. Hvatig's link can help you there.

The other important thing you should know is that the emulators for running these games on the Caanoo are all still works in progress. Keep an eye on the Emulation section of this forum to check on the progress of these projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks all

is the Caanoo the way to go then? anything else to consider?

and the emulators are a work in progress....any idea when they will be fully functional?

Well, I can't speak for the other handheld consoles since I only own a Caanoo, but putting aside it's faults, I love it! I don't regret buying it at least. Some of the emulators available for the Caanoo need a bit of work, but that's only a matter of waiting :).
To find the Arcade roms, the right keyword would be MAME.

I own a dingoo a320 gemei a330, wiz, and caanoo. Out of all of them the DINGOO A320 and CAANOO are the best in my opinion. The WIZ screen is nice and all but is prone to screen rot and burn in(mine has failed twice)also the wannabe d-pad and buttons suck and the GEMEI native os is horrible right now and dingux has not be ported to it yet. The A320 is the best if you are on a budget and are capable of installing DINGUX. The CAANOO is awesome and is really worth the money. The scene is still new though so it will take a while until the emulators will be running 100%

I also only own the caanoo; therefore, I cannot give you advice from hand on experience. Though I can say that I am very pleased with my purchase. It has everything that I could ask for, and I do believe that it is the best on the market. The A320 sounds nice, but from what I've heard from EvilDragon it is made very cheaply, and is not made as a quality product. The caanoo is the real deal. It has a great community backing it up, tons of features, and if your like me you will gain plenty of hours of fun just tinkering with it and finding out how to do everything. The emulations will come in time, all you need is patience.

Nunez said:
I also only own the caanoo; therefore, I cannot give you advice from hand on experience. Though I can say that I am very pleased with my purchase. It has everything that I could ask for, and I do believe that it is the best on the market. The A320 sounds nice, but from what I've heard from EvilDragon it is made very cheaply, and is not made as a quality product. The caanoo is the real deal. It has a great community backing it up, tons of features, and if your like me you will gain plenty of hours of fun just tinkering with it and finding out how to do everything. The emulations will come in time, all you need is patience.
The original dingoos were not cheap and if you get them from the right place the new ones arent either(there are lots of fakes out there) Also they are half the price. If you got the extra money go for the caanoo. Either one is a great purchase.

I'm just curious though. You say if you have the extra money to go for the caanoo, which sounds like you do agree the caanoo is better. If the A320 isn't cheap and is well made. Let me ask you, why do YOU think the caanoo is better?

Nunez said:
I'm just curious though. You say if you have the extra money to go for the caanoo, which sounds like you do agree the caanoo is better. If the A320 isn't cheap and is well made. Let me ask you, why do YOU think the caanoo is better?

Both devices have their own advantages. There are several points, were the Dingoo is better then the Cannoo:

- Better video player abilities: The Dingoo runs most video files you throw at him flawless, without the need to convert or resize them. This will always be better, because the Dingoo CPU supports hardware video decoding, something, the Caanoo can't match, even when heavily overclocked. The Dingoo even supports the Real media video format (with an official license)
- Better audio player abilities: The Dingoo has fine music library functions and different sound enviroments, the Caanoo can only play an mp3, you can't sort your music in any way on the machine. The Dingoo even supports flac losless files
- A good working TV-Out without the need to buy an extra cable or run an extra program
- A build in Radio
- A build in speech engine to read texts
- A lot of good working emulators, that run without any problems from within the native firmware. Without any installation, the Dingoo runs NES/SNES/GENESIS/NEO GEO/CPS1 and 2/GBA. Native emulators are easier to install then on the Caanoo, you can simply copy them to the emulation folder and run the roms directly. With this you can add (without installing Linux) support for GB/Atari 8 Bit/Spectrum/Colecovision/PC Engine/Atari Lynx/Odyssey 2/Master System-Game Gear and probably some more I forgot to mention
- Build in 4 GB - Without the need of an extra SD card, you can use the Dingoo
- Better placed speakers. The Dingoo speakers are at the bottom of the device. In theory, the speakers of the Caanoo, which are on the back of the device have a better sound (more base due to placement), but in the end, I am always hiding them with my fingers, which is annoying
- cheaper price

The advantages of the Caanoo are in my opinion

- bigger screen
- better shoulder buttons
- CPU is faster (when overclocked)
- SD card slot instead of Mini SD card slot
- USB port to connect Pads and Keyboards
- more memory
- a volume slider (even if it is lowering and encancing the volume very slow with a fading effect, which can be annoying)

So you see, both systems have their unique advantages. Right now, I would say, if you want a system, that got great support and almost everything possible on the system up and running, go for the Dingoo. If you are the type of person who likes to wait for new emulators and who likes to try out new versions of emulators to see what changed (like me), go for the Caanoo, the software support is much more limited on this platform, but not much will happen on the Dingoo in the future, cause almost everything is available today in good or very good versions.

The build quality of the Dingoo is ok, I got 2 Dingoos and both are running fine for over a year now, both are in heavy use. The battery of the Dingoo seems to be better then the Caanoos, cause my Dingoo usually runs 8-10 hours without recharging, my Caanoo is run dry after 5-6 hours max.

crap! now i don't know if i should get the Caanoo or the Dingoo.... :)
I'm a tech moron, so don't want to have a hard time getting emulators and games on my handheld- so will that be an issue with the Caanoo?

zimsjim said:
crap! now i don't know if i should get the Caanoo or the Dingoo.... :)
I'm a tech moron, so don't want to have a hard time getting emulators and games on my handheld- so will that be an issue with the Caanoo?

If you just want to play and don't want to install Linux on the Dingoo (which isn't hard, but it takes a few minutes), the Dingoo is fine, you have about 20 emulators, you can run on the native firmware, all you have to to is copy the emulator file in the folder of the Dingoo and the Roms, whereever you want them. These emulators are working good right now.
The Caanoo is more powerful in theory, due to it's 3d chip and the faster processor, but for everything that runs on a 16 bit CPU (Neo Geo/Genesis/SuperNES) and even for the GBA the Dingoo is powerful enough. There is even a Mame build for the Dingoo's native firmware.
I forgot to mention, that the touchscreen of the Caanoo is an advantage, if you want to play ScummVM Point & Click Adventures.
To me it sounds like you would be completely satisfied with a Dingoo, at least unless you don't say I can't live without the bigger screen of the Caanoo (which has poor lighting by the way).

Back