Can the Caanoo be used with an Apple Mac ?

Kevin Stock

Still Fresh
Hi there! I was about to order a Caanoo, but then I saw a youtube video explaining how it can't be used with a mac. Does anyone here own a mac? Have you been able to download the correct emulators that will allow you to use mame and other systems on the Caanoo. Mostly I wish to play old arcade games. Please let me know if I can use the Caanoo with my mac. What should I download? Thanks!

Kevin Stock said:
Hi there! I was about to order a Caanoo, but then I saw a youtube video explaining how it can't be used with a mac. Does anyone here own a mac? Have you been able to download the correct emulators that will allow you to use mame and other systems on the Caanoo. Mostly I wish to play old arcade games. Please let me know if I can use the Caanoo with my mac. What should I download? Thanks!

no usefull info here but why? is it normal for mac fans to be interested in opensource? seeing as how mac is made by apple(teh definition of closed environment)?

Last edited by a moderator:
monstercameron said:
Kevin Stock said:

no usefull info here but why? is it normal for mac fans to be interested in opensource? seeing as how mac is made by apple(teh definition of closed environment)?

Well, first of all, you don't need to be a mac fan to buy a mac. I've got one, just cause I think mac laptops are much nicer, but I've got 4 PC's in the house (all running linux, though). Second of all, Apple can't (and doesn't even try) to close the environment on mac os x. It's just as open as windows. Obviously not as open as linux, but it doesn't affect the end-user much.

Kevin, if you're referring to the online store that Gamepark has, I don't know if that works. But for just putting free stuff from the community on there, it *should* work. I've been using my Wiz, Dingoo, and all sorts of other devices with my mac, and I don't really have any issues. I DO NOT have a Caanoo, however, so I cannot say for certain that it'll work. Hopefully someone who has one will confirm.

Thanks very much for the reply, absolofdoom. Basically, all I want to do is play the emulators like mame, colecovision etc. If I'm correct, I think you're telling me that any emulator that I can get to work on my mac will likely work on the Caanoo. In other words, if I use Macmame on my mac to run mame, I can download Macmame on the Caanoo and it will work there as well. Am I oversimplifying? Could you please let me know what mac emulator you use to run mame on your wiz? I assume that will work on the Caanoo as well. Thanks again!!

Get a sd card reader and hook it up to your mac and copy the stuff to the sd card. You can install the community stuff without issue. The GPH store stuff might be a different story though.

Kevin Stock said:
Thanks very much for the reply, absolofdoom. Basically, all I want to do is play the emulators like mame, colecovision etc. If I'm correct, I think you're telling me that any emulator that I can get to work on my mac will likely work on the Caanoo. In other words, if I use Macmame on my mac to run mame, I can download Macmame on the Caanoo and it will work there as well. Am I oversimplifying? Could you please let me know what mac emulator you use to run mame on your wiz? I assume that will work on the Caanoo as well. Thanks again!!

No, you have to download emulators and programs made for the Caanoo. Macmame is not made for the Caanoo, its made for a Mac. :)

As long as your Mac is capable of downloading and extracting archives (mostly .zip, but I've seen .rar .7z and .bz2) and then copying the files to an SD card, you can use the Caanoo. The operating system you use to copy files to the SD card doesn't have any bearing on what your Caanoo is capable of running.

At this time, pretty much everything you could possible put into your Caanoo will come from either these forums or from the Caanoo section of this site:
http://dl.openhandhe...o.cgi?0,0,0,0,1

The FunGP store on the other hand, where you "buy" official games and applications, barely works in Windows at this time and does not support MacOS as far as I know. But it isn't a terrible loss, especially if you're mostly concerned with Emulation, because all of the current emulators can be downloaded for free from OpenHandleds.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

i use a Mac, and I can do anything for the caanoo. the only problematic part is downloading from fungp, i do it in my virtual windows xp (using virtualbox)

Thanks everyone for all you great advice! I just wanna play Robotron on a handheld!!! It looks like I can use the emulators just as long as I buy an SD card reader from my imac. Let me see if I have this right: I will buy the Caanoo, an SD card reader, and and SD card. I will then download the Caanoo emulators and roms that I want to the SD card. Then I'm good to go! Any other good advicefor a newbie such as I? Thanks again!

you don't need a card reader, the Caanoo itself IS a reader :) just plug the USB cable into your mac, power on the Caanoo, and you will see the new drive attached (as long as an SD card is inserted)

Thanks Glezmen! Thanks to you I will be ordering my Caanoo today! There's a youtube video of a guy with a mac that says the Caanoo will not show the new "drive" (the Caanoo). I'm guessing he did not put an SD card in first? Does the SD card come with the Caanoo or is it purchased separately? It's not a big deal to take a walk to the local electronics store. I suppose 8gig will be plenty? Would you mind telling me what emulators you're using at the moment? I assume you've got Mame 4 All. It would also be nice to revisit all of my old Colecovision games!!! Thanks again.

you have to buy the SD card separately. the size depends on your needs. i'm a maximalist, and I wanted to copy EVERYTHING available to the card - 16GB is too small :D but if I delete the games i don't want to play with, it's enough
the SEGA emulator (Picodrive) is excellent, the NES/SNES emulators are also good, NeoGeo and Mame are very good. the GBA emulation is not yet flawless, but I hope it will reach the state of the WIZ version soon, it was my favourite emulator :)

if you don't want to put everything on the card, 8GB should be enough, but just the GBA and NeoGeo roms together are almost 8GB :)

I highly recommend using an SD card reader. Copying files via the USB cable is incredibly slow.

I only transfer very small files with the cable. For example, edited .ini files. Larger transfers will take several times longer than just using a card reader.

it's slow, but i wouldn't call it 'incredibly slow', it's above 1-2MBytes/sec, which is fairly enough to transfer your stuffs
the WIZ was however much slower, it took hours to copy the romsets onto it

Back