Bor Bug?

Alucard

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
After playing through "Hyper Final Fight" and "Crisis Evil" I just started playing the original BOR.PAK a few days ago. Boy, the original mod rocks! It's got great gameplay depth.

At my second try on NORMAL difficulty I managed to fight my way to the final room where Mister Y (Omega Rugal) sat and watched me fighting against his henchmen. But I didn't make it.
Rather than trying again on that difficulty I started playing on HARD difficulty. An hour ago I finally defeated all of the enemies in the STAGE 6 - hallway. But instead of loading the final room there was an error message displaying: "Unable to load level data hard...bla...bla" (something like that).

Okay, I only had two lives left - so I don't think I could have beaten the game but I really would like it to work. I downloaded the BOR.PAK from the gp32x - file archive. Is it faulty? Or is the GP32-BOR not capable of loading the "hard final room"?
Oh, and the bonus level doesn't load, either.

Please help!

Are you using BOR beta 6 by thejuggler or OpenBOR?

I did the OpenBOR port based on Squidge's latest port source so that probably wouldn't help... hmm, hopefully someday I'll get some major work done to the OpenBORgp source... Sorry about your luck :S

I use BOR beta 6. I also tried the recently released OpenBOR-port, but it doesn't work (controls are totally disarranged and there's no sound).

Maybe it could work with a previous release (e.g. the latest original port by Squidge)? But I couldn't find them anymore (searched through the BOR beta 1 - thread in beta testing - section).

Hooka posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:57 PM said:
I did the OpenBOR port based on Squidge's latest port source so that probably wouldn't help...
Oops - sorry, I didn't recognize you! Thanks a lot for your effort to let us GP32lers also play the OpenBOR mods. :)

Hail to Senile Team, Squidge, Hooka and the juggler!

Before I owned a GP32 I didn't much like these sidescrolling massive beat'em-ups, because I thought they hadn't much depth. I only played duel-beat'em-ups back then. But of now I can't get enough of Streets of Rage, Final Fight and, of course, Beats of Rage.

Now - does anyone else know a solution to my problem? I'd really like to play through HARD mode and the bonus level.

Last edited by a moderator:
the wrong mapping is fixed by simply deleting the old config file, not sure what it was called.

Had the same problem here.

mth411 posted on Aug 31 2005 at 01:19 PM said:
the wrong mapping is fixed by simply deleting the old config file, not sure what it was called.

Had the same problem here.
Gee, thanks! OpenBOR now works like a charm. I'll try to get through the game, again. Won't be easy, though...

Okay, now I made it as far as before using OpenBOR. But, unfortunately, the same error occured after I defeated "Sengoku" (the level 6 - clone of the level 5 - endboss):

Unable to load level file 'data/hard/6bh (the whole error message is probably larger, but that's all the display showed me)

Now what's that supposed to mean? Is GP32-BOR not capable of loading the "hard final room" or is the bor.pak faulty? I used the PC version - bor.pak. Maybe I should try it again with the dreamcast - bor.pak?

A couple of hours ago I downloaded "BoR Collection Vol. 2" for Dreamcast. It contained a BOR.PAK that contained 2 mods in one (!) - "BoR Xtra" and "BoR Remix". Because they share a lot of sprites and scenes, they were put in one pak to save space on the CD, but BoR Remix is only startable with a modified BoR-engine.

However I tried to put that bor.pak on my smc, but it was just 2 MB too big (129MB). So I extracted the pak with paxplode and deleted the BoR-Remix-Music-files and repacked it. The resulting BORXTRA.PAK now has a size of "only" approximately 70 MB.
It works perfect with GP32-BoR. The only differences between the original "Beats of Rage" and "Beats of Rage Xtra (DC version)" are:
- the punch-sound has been replaced with the original SoR2-sample
- Max, Mandy and Kula are +1 faster
- there are four additional heroes: Rock, Terry, Vanessa and Mai Shiranui

Now I edited the textfiles of Max, Mandy and Kula and reduced their speed by 1 to restore the "original balance" (I didn't change the speed of the four new characters though, so the game may be too easy if playing as one of those).

But there are no changes to the game itself - it's still the exact enemies, patterns, scenes, music and difficulty as in the original BoR-mod.

Although it's basically the same, on HARD difficulty the final room now loads on the GP32! I was finally able to beat the game using Max on hard difficulty.

Okay, there has been another change: the title screen did slightly change and the character-selection screen now includes the four new characters in the background:

logo7cd.gif
title5bl.gif
select8hq.gif

As I said, this borxtra.pak is about 70 MB huge and is beatable on BoR32-"hard mode" while the standard bor.pak isn't, so maybe Evil Dragon would allow it to be uploaded into his file archive?

This mod I "stripped down" was done by Christuserloeser. Here's the description of the game (I can totally recommend this mod as it's slightly superior to the original mod and works 100% on GP32):
Beats of Rage Xtra DCEvo Remake v1.0
------------------------------------
Released for Dreamcast by www.DCEvolution.net

Credits
-------

-Beats of Rage-

Beats of Rage by Team Senile is an independetly produced open source tribute to SEGA's Streets of Rage series. It has been ported to DC by Neill Corlett.

Team Senile (creators of BoR)
http://senileteam.segaforums.com/

Neill Corlett (DC port)
http://www.neillcorlett.com/

L@ Cible (PAL & rumble support)
http://la.cible.free.fr/

-Beats of Rage Xtra-

Similar to BoR Remix by Mr.Q, BoR Xtra is an update of the original Beats of Rage, that provides some additional characters to choose from. Dreamcast version created by Christuserloeser for DCEvolution.net

BoR Resource Page (original sprite rips)
http://dev.dcemulation.com/BoRmod/

BoR Xtra 32 (original Mod)
http://www.gp32us.com/BoR/

BoR32 (BoR for GP32)
http://gp32x.de/

DCEvolution (DC version)
http://www.dcevolution.net/

-The New Characters-

Rock Howard, ripped by Justin Clarke, 02/23/2004
Terry Bogart, ripped by Hokutoy, 02/17/2004
Mai Shinranui, ripped by Mr.Q, 02/28/2004
Evy aka Vanessa, ripped by Mr.Q, 02/19/2004

All characters are © SNK/Playmore

About
-----

-Features-

* Four new Characters added to the original BoR!
* Replaced the punching sound with original 'Streets of Rage 2' fx
* Changed title screen & added new character selection screen
* Fixed & polished ALL speech & sound fx (nothing major though)
* Completly redid the Walk animations of Evy from scratch
* Speeded up all characters, e.g. Max ('Speed = 7' set to 'Speed = 8')
* Added rain to Scene3
* Lots of other minor things here and there...

-History-

I read about BoR Xtra 32 at the www.dcemulation.com message boards a few months ago. It was no common mod, just some kind of an add-on to the original BoR with some of the characters taken from the BoR resource page - http://dev.dcemulation.com/BoRmod/

The problem was that because of the high number of playable characters and the sprite limit in BoR, BoR Xtra 32 refused to work with all available BoR engines except BoR32 for GamePark32 which it had been compiled for.

I was kinda curious how this mod would be like, so when I found the time I began to play around with the plain files of BoR Xtra 32. I noticed that the character cast didn't fit into BoR that good and decided to exclude all characters that were either somewhat unfinished (mainly missing a few animations and/or voice samples) or already were playable in other BoR mods (Ryu, Guy, etc).

I went thru all characters and kept Terry Bogart, Rock Howard and Mai Shiranui from the Garou (aka Fatal Fury) series, as they actually fit quite perfectly into the original BoR design. All three of them are very well done by the people who had ripped them: Big thanks to you! ...and of course SNK for creating them : )

-Evy-

During the test playing I fell in love with Evy aka Vanessa, ripped by Mr.Q - a really great character to play BoR with. The only drawback was, that in my opinion Evy's original walking animation just didn't fit with BoR, so it looked like she was flying thru the stages. It made me start to work on some proper walking animation. I began to copy, paste and modify existing frames to get some fluent motion.
It didn't turned out the way I intended but I hope you ppl can live with the result ...it now looks like she's dancing thru the stages ^_^

-BoR Remix-

At that time Mr.Q released BoR Remix, which took the add-on idea of BoR Xtra even further and added new music, new sound FX / voice samples and new cut scenes into the original BoR. It's a very well done modification of the original BoR and it included some of the characters that were also included with BoR Xtra 32 - like Ryu and even Evy! I had a look at her, maybe she was updated? I noticed that though she actually was updated and modified, so e.g. there finally was a proper Jump-Kick animation ...but because of the different colors of the sprite rips, I couldn't add that animation to the BoR Xtra Evy - although I tried to modify the colors... :'(

-BoR Xtra DC-

After adding a new title and character select screen and even playing around with most sound fx and voice samples, I realized that what I did already turned out to be very different to the original version. While BoR Remix had new music and a whole new cast of characters, I choosed to stay with the initial thought that I had when I first read about BoR Xtra: The complete, basicly unmodified Beats of Rage, with just a few minor changes and some additional characters.

-Future Versions?-

Yes, I actually think about that. There are lots of things that I would like to add or change but I don't really feel the need to do so atm. BoR Xtra DC in its current version is my first attempt of a mod, so I might get back to it when I'm more expierenced and I have the time and inspiration...

-Thanx!-

I would never done any modding without the existance of the original Beats of Rage for Dreamcast; all the great mods that I've played - and of course it never would have been possible without the people who ripped the characters and released them for use with BoR.
So my greets go out to the BoR modding scene: Thank you for your great work and I hope you like my DC remake/update/version/whatever of BoR Xtra.

Additional Notes:
-----------------

-Hokutoy about his Terry Bogart for BoR release-

Terry's Double Special Combo:

(1) PUSH & HOLD Attack Button for 1 second.
(2) With Attack Button still pressed, push Special Button
(3) When Special Move is still being performed, release Attack Button

"This performs a Special Move / Power Geiser Combo at a distant enemy for MAX DAMAGE!!!"

-eof-

Good night, folks!

Back