Bob Poll "what Do You Want?"

What features are ideal

• Single usb (you supply your own hub, allowing for smaller bob)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 port usb hub

• s-video

• composite video (yellow rca)

• 3.5 output for audio and video (think camcorder style cable)

• portable (ie battery powered)

• option for ac adapter

• serial

• jtag

• $30-$50 price range

• $45-$75 price range

• Total voters

toxic_d

Still Fresh
This a obviously a wishlist for a bob... let me know what would make you happy as I am designing a bob for my own personal use and am thinking of possibly making more if I can do so reasonablely.

If you have any other ideas feel free to post them as well. (ie size requirements and the likes)

Toxic_d

Your poll sucks. :lol:

... so I chose the cheap cost option. I really just want something that will allow the use of USB joypads, a mouse and a keyboard, and is dockable.

hehe i could only choose one thing so i picked composite video, although i would like a 4 port usb hub and ac adapter as well.

really all we need is a powered usb hub that has the tv out built in...

yeah sorry for the radio button options instead of check boxes... if there are other things vote again if the system will let you!!

the hub with tv out was exactly what I was going for powered byt the way via batteries as well.

BTW the 3.5 jack would/could be either s-video or composite and it would allow for a smaller box but would require a special cable that if lost would have to be repurchased where a standard s-video or composite is always included with vcr's and dvd players.

For a bunch of jacks and wires, something in the range of $20 seems much more reasonable.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 28 2007 at 04:05 PM said:
Your poll sucks. :lol:
Poll by your own rules :p

*Single usb (you supply your own hub, allowing for smaller bob)
4 port usb hub(optional model)
*s-video
*composite video (yellow rca)
*3.5 output for audio and video (think camcorder style cable)
*portable (ie battery powered)
*option for ac adapter
serial(optional)
jtag(optional)
$30-$50 price range
$45-$75 price range

$25-40 price range is acceptable, higher only with included power and 4-ports. Then $30-50 range OK.

The $45-$75 range is already here with jtag and serial. Uncased of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that elaborating will become par for the course in this thread, so....

4 usb would be really nice.
svideo out
audio out (3.5mm would be fine)
ac adapter in

also, it'd be great if it was kind of a dock rather than just a board. i.e. summat that you could stand the gp2x up in.

i'd pay £25-30 for summat like that.

Alex, nubie already made a parts list with approximate pricing.
The parts list goes as follows:
usb hub $10
usb port (add your own hub) $1.50
e810 cable $5-$7
usb filter chip $.80
battery holder $1.50
Jacks (s-video, rca, 3.5 audio) $1.50
custom enclosure ~$8

This right here adds up to $29.80 in parts before shipping...

I am doing this for myself but am buying extra parts to build a few more. Depending on the demand I could keep doing it but $20 is enough for a bare board or just the hub and cable required. This does not allow for shipping and custom cables (ie if you wanted the 3.5 jack for a samller bob. You could easliy purchase the parts if you wanted a $20 bob that only has usb.

I'm not looking to make a killing and depending on the number of interested people it may be worth my time to make more. But as you can see at the $20-$30 make there is no way to make much of anything even "giving" my time away as I am in designing this with your wants considered.

Toxic_d

BTW its surpising how many people are asking about tv out when there is only 1 vote for a composite and none for the s-video in the poll. Thats not taking into account the comments on the thread.

toxic_d posted on Mar 29 2007 at 07:02 AM said:
Alex, nubie already made a parts list with approximate pricing.
The parts list goes as follows:
usb hub $10
usb port (add your own hub) $1.50
e810 cable $5-$7
usb filter chip $.80
battery holder $1.50
Jacks (s-video, rca, 3.5 audio) $1.50
custom enclosure ~$8

This right here adds up to $29.80 in parts before shipping...
Yes, but I assume GPH would get a fair discount on all parts, since they would supposedly buy them in industrial quantities (perhaps in a lot of 3000+ for the first run)? I'm just throwing ideas here, and I still stand by the fact that a BOB should be in the $20-30 price range.

toxic_d posted on Mar 29 2007 at 12:02 PM said:
BTW its surpising how many people are asking about tv out when there is only 1 vote for a composite and none for the s-video in the poll. Thats not taking into account the comments on the thread.
That's because your poll results are meaningless as people can only vote for one option (and for most people cost and usb options are more important than tv)

woogal posted on Mar 29 2007 at 10:17 AM said:
toxic_d posted on Mar 29 2007 at 12:02 PM said:
That's because your poll results are meaningless as people can only vote for one option (and for most people cost and usb options are more important than tv)
I want S-Video AND Composite :). (to re-iterate, this poll is lousy, it needs to be a "multiple-choice" and "write-in your own" poll, it's probably the software's fault though.)

Let me explain. Have one line of the Y/C pair run to both sockets. Then add a switch that bridges them with a capacitor.

The S-Video will be unaffected when you use the switch one way, the other way and Composite works.

Simple, figure $0.50 for a switch and a capacitor.

And on the subject of BoB pricing in quantity, the EXT connectors are $0.15 (for 500), the USB filters break down nicely in quantity too. $0.32 for 500, $0.27 for 1,000
Price Break ................Unit Price........................... Price
1................................0.79000............................. 0.79
10..............................0.63400............................. 6.34
100............................0.47520............................. 47.52
250............................0.40480............................. 101.20
1000..........................0.27280............................. 272.80

As for the "pricing", I want a USB host cable added to the TV-Out cable. That I am sure can be done for $20-25 total price at a profit.

Buy your own $10 hub seperately (chances are you own some already). Maybe a simple "stand" that keeps the unit steady and upright with the EXT plugged in and provides a mount for the USB hub. It could be vacuum formed easily for $5 or so.

So $$35-40 for a whole unit, add what you want, when you want it.

woogal, like I said sorry for the format of the poll. I didn't see any options for a checkbox poll.

nubie is right about the ease of doing both component and s-video as it is just the addition of a jack and a capacitor. I was just concerned with the size issue for the bob and am trying to source the camcorder style cables with the 3.5mm jack to component (rca audio and video).

Still watching this poll and sourcing parts...

nubie posted on Mar 29 2007 at 05:15 AM said:
hmm... the use of these cables isn't such a good idea... they are only mono audio and composite video, i think

deepmenace posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:28 AM said:
i don't see the sense in having an audio out jack on the BOB... it makes it bigger and the gp2x allready has audio out

jokeman posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:13 PM said:
nubie posted on Mar 29 2007 at 05:15 AM said:
hmm... the use of these cables isn't such a good idea... they are only mono audio and composite video, i think
Wrong, they have 4 conductors, some camcorders are mono, most are stereo. For S-Video we would need a seperate 4 or 3-pin 3.5mm jack that adapts it to an S-Video dongle.

I think for a BoB you should do real A/V and S-Video jacks, at the very least a real S-Video jack and an Audio 3.5mm.

deepmenace posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:28 AM said:
i don't see the sense in having an audio out jack on the BOB... it makes it bigger and the gp2x allready has audio out
The headphones port on the GP2X (like many portables, such as the gameboy) is tied in with the voltage conversion circuits and makes the sound quality worse. I don't know if the EXT suffers from that too, but I have heard of one person who wired the phones jack to the speaker output to get better quality.

95% couldn't tell the difference, 99% don't cere even if we do.

I think if you put RCA jacks, audio is a good idea. If you don't, then use the headphones port. Or have a Hi-fi edition for the audiophiles.

It has to LOOK professional and quality built, my gp2x has to slot into the top and "click" to dock with it when it connects, and room for a USB 2.5" hard drive in the back to fit inside would be good too. AC powered, 4 usb hubs.

The hdd was an after thought of the poll... I just picked up a hitachi 1.8" 20gig for less than $30 shipped. I'm leaning toward the 1.8 size as the power requirements can be even less but would leave it up to the purchaser to supply their own drive as far as that goes.

The more I hear the more it sounds like what is wanted it a clipon dock vs a bob ;) is this the ideal setup for most the cradle design like what cr8tive leo has been playing with or a bob type setup with cable?

I have a clipon setup in mind already but it would only have 2 maybe three usb ports as I plan on running the 1.8 internal to the clipon as my mass storage device for games and movies.

Toxic_d

Back