Boards performance is so-so since a few days.

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi,

threads take a lot of time to load, same for posting.
Sometimes, I have to reload the page in order to display it.
My internet connection is ok.

Maybe it is my fault. I have only been checking in once a day lately.

Nope, I'm fully aware of that.

The problem: The PHP5 session directory was full (with 15 million files) which damaged the filesystem... doing an fsck would take over 20 hours, and as it's the rootfs, it would mean 20 hours downtime.

So we're running on an unclean filesystem which seems to slow things down (no worries, all data are on a different filesystem, so there's no risk anything will get lost).

I will upgrade to a new server within the following 2 weeks (with twice as much RAM and 1GBit/s guaranteed bandwidth (the current one has 200MBit/s), so once that has happened, everything should be back to normal.

Reactions: rSl
I did wonder how this software generates a new session ID every time I checked new posts, but if I replaced the number in the URL with an old number, it would give me the old data, meaning all old sessions seemed to be stored somewhere. Dunno if that's the source of this issue though, and I was unable to break it during the test of these boards despite building some scripts to stress it, so I guessed it was maybe being more clever than I though.

Yes, cronjobs you create yourself that delete all outdated PHP session files ;)

Well, it's the relatively fundamental filesystem that's a bit borked, as I understand it. fsck can repair that, but it can't fix a mounted filesystem, so if it's your OS or important data drive, you'll need to stop any processes using that. Most OSes run an fsck on the OS preiodically before the OS starts in the boot sequence, but I guess these machines don't get rebooted very often, and if it'll take 20 hours to come up after a reboot if it decides to fsck the drive, then that's not ideal either.

Edit: Sorry, I read 'prevent' and thought 'fix'.

Back