Bluetooth Tethering Dun Assistance?

xopher said:
xopher said:
Topic says all. Thanks

I'll just leave this here:

http://pandorawiki.org/Mobile_broadband

Thanks! I actually just looked up how to do it via Ubuntu forums and stuff and was going to test when I got home. This makes it easier to find!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to get this to work properly with a Blackberry Curve. I tried many different channels. I can get the modem to init but then I get an error.
I'm tethering via bluetooth
Code:
wvdial: utils/wvtask.cc:202: WvTaskMan::WvTaskMan(): Assertion `getcontext(&get_stack_return) == 0' failed. Aborted

dmesg shows

Code:
rfcomm tty_ioctl: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported

Anyone familiar?

Who is your phone service provider?
Verizon Wireless only supports bluetooth DUN between a phone and a laptop running Windoze with Verizon Access Manager.
At least that's what I found out a while back with my Nokia Tablet.

Anybody know if this has changed?

xopher said:
I can't seem to get this to work properly with a Blackberry Curve. I tried many different channels. I can get the modem to init but then I get an error.
I'm tethering via bluetooth
Code:
wvdial: utils/wvtask.cc:202: WvTaskMan::WvTaskMan(): Assertion `getcontext(&get_stack_return) == 0' failed. Aborted

dmesg shows

Code:
rfcomm tty_ioctl: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported

Anyone familiar?

Yeah I found wvdial on arm seems to have a bug and I could find people talking about it but no fix.
if you install modem manger you might find you have more luck.

I wrote a guide for using a usb mobile stick but installing the modem manager allowed HackModford to tether successfully so maybe try just that instead.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54318-guide-mobile-broadband-usb-stick-usage/

j.pickens said:
Who is your phone service provider?
Verizon Wireless only supports bluetooth DUN between a phone and a laptop running Windoze with Verizon Access Manager.
At least that's what I found out a while back with my Nokia Tablet.

Anybody know if this has changed?
Using T-mobile and have tethered with Ubuntu and Windows and n810 without issue, Verizon charges a premium for tethering.

illusionx said:
Yeah I found wvdial on arm seems to have a bug and I could find people talking about it but no fix.
if you install modem manger you might find you have more luck.

I wrote a guide for using a usb mobile stick but installing the modem manager allowed HackModford to tether successfully so maybe try just that instead.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54318-guide-mobile-broadband-usb-stick-usage/

I'll give that a rip thank you.

I attempted tethering after installing modem-manager.. no success.. so will keep an eye on this thread for progress!

I've noticed that If I don't have the phone plugged in while I restart (or plug the phone in then turn the pandora on)

CDMA connection doesn't show up in the network panel utility

If I unplug the phone while on then plug it back in CDMA connection doesn't reappear even though thumb drives do.

Maybe that's your problem ste_167?

HackModford said:
I've noticed that If I don't have the phone plugged in while I restart (or plug the phone in then turn the pandora on)

CDMA connection doesn't show up in the network panel utility

If I unplug the phone while on then plug it back in CDMA connection doesn't reappear even though thumb drives do.

Maybe that's your problem ste_167?

Now then, just seen your reply, I'll give it a go.

It's not finding my phone at all, the device isn't found when I type sudo lsusb into the Terminal. Same story with my Huawei E160, as far as I'm aware they're both 2.0 USB.

..EDIT.. . .looks like the Nokia E71 is only USB 1.1, not sure why the Huawei E160 isn't detected though.

Quick update. I was able to accomplish connectivity via pppd. Thing is my connection lasts for approx. 30 seconds and hangs the modem up (appears software related). When I have some time later I'll paste my chatscripts here or find an answer somewhere in the meantime. Otherwise......

If anyone has a hint to help me maintain the connection that would be great. My wireless carrier is tmobile.

How can I make rfcomm0 bind automatically, I modified the rfcomm.conf file and I still have to issue "rfcomm bind 0 <MAC address> 1" each time and "mknod" for ppp. Better yet I would love to have bluetooth on at boot. Is this possiby the reason manually issuing rfcomm bind is needed?

EDIT: I don't think pppd is the issue anymore, I think it's the bluetooth stack dropping then pppd realizes the connection is gone. I've been able to connect at .9 minutes and 2.1 at this point. 90% of the time I receive "Failed to open /dev/rfcomm0: Host is down." when initiating "pppd call <script>"

I've gotten this to work without issue. Seems I've been barking up and down the wrong tree.....
Is there anyway to increase the power of the bluetooth radio??? Seems to be where my issue lies; I can stay connected as long as I wish and perform layer2 pings to the phone if it is right next to my Pandora. If there is any distance say more than 7 inches (she didn't say that) the bluetooth connection is unreliable. I know it's not my phone's radio because I can tether clear across the room with other devices. If anyone knows how to tweak the transmit and receive strength (battery life is not my concern right now) that'd rock!

Anyhoo....I wanted to post to share my connect scripts that work with pppd. YMMV, my configuration is:

Pandora
Blackberry Curve
T-Mobile (US)

You can find how to pair and set up your rfcomm0 using the link in the 2nd post in this thread.

The following snippet will go into a file at /etc/ppp/peers/<CHOOSE YOUR OWN NAME>

Code:
debug debug debug
require-pap
nodetach
/dev/rfcomm0
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chatscripts/<YOUR FILENAME HERE>"
nomultilink
defaultroute
noipdefault
ipcp-restart 7
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-max-configure 20
ipcp-max-failure 2
lcp-echo-interval 0
lcp-echo-failure 999
modem
nodeflate
nocrtscts
noipdefault
novj
usepeerdns
user ``
password ``
holdoff 10

Here is the chatscript to command the modem to talk to T-mobile. Place it in a file located in /etc/ppp/chatscripts and make sure the path matches the "connect" line from the snippet above

Code:
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED ABORT ERROR
SAY "Initializing\n"
' ATZ
SAY "ATE\n"
OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"'
OK 'AT'
OK 'ATDT*99#'
SAY "Dialing\n"

Then to place your call simply type "pppd call <YOUR FILENAME>

EDIT: forgot you will only need to install bluez-utils by typing "opkg install bluez-utils" to make this work.

using your script, with some modifications like another APN and such, i get the following

Code:
pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to do so.

GizmoTheGreen said:
using your script, with some modifications like another APN and such, i get the following

Code:
pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to do so.

Who is your service provider?

EDIT: a little more time to respond now....in the peer script you may need to specify chap instead of pap authentication and there may be values required for the user:pass portions of the script. My provider doesn't require them. While getting it to work I can recall getting some messages telling me that my secret was incorrect; the ratbastards!! If you can give a little more background on your provider I'll see what I can help you dig up.

Just got a new beta kernel tonight with the patch that someone posted at the Bugtracker for Bluetooth.

I was able to successfully setup a PANU connection via Bluetooth with my Mobile Phone.
Browsed the net for about 1,5 hours, no disconnection, no problem.

Setting up was damn easy:

* Connect the mobile phone with the bluetooth applet. Check the field at the end that you want to use it for mobile internet at the end.
* Enable Internet connection sharing on your phone.
* Click the network Manager icon on the Pandora and connect to the PANU network.

That's it :)
No command line needed, working nice and fast.

The Kernel should be ready with a new Hotfix (which hopefully also enables repositories), too.
Might take a while, but it's working :D

EvilDragon said:
* Connect the mobile phone with the bluetooth applet.

Is there such an applet written in java(-phone) available for other phones?

My nokia 3120c has bluetooth, but it has no such bluetooth applet. Opera browser works on my phone great, and bluetooth works too. But I need a bluetooth applet for "mobile internet".

cosurgi said:
EvilDragon said:

My nokia 3120c has bluetooth, but it has no such bluetooth applet. Opera browser works on my phone great, and bluetooth works too. But I need a bluetooth applet for "mobile internet".

I'm pretty sure that's talking about on the Pandora-side.

-God Ginrai

Alerino said:
EvilDragon said:
Just got a new beta kernel tonight

what kernel version, ED?
thanks

The one with the patch?
2.6.27 still.

Also got a 2.6.35 testing, but that ones pretty unstable. X doesn't start each time, etc.
Lot of work to do :)

God Ginrai said:
cosurgi said:
EvilDragon said:

I'm pretty sure that's talking about on the Pandora-side.

-God Ginrai

Yep, the XFCE applet on the Pandora :)

For your phone, you must enable internet connection sharing.

Last edited:
Can't wait!! Hope I'll be able to do it properly. I've always been resigned to CLI for tethering. Thanks!

EvilDragon said:
Just got a new beta kernel tonight with the patch that someone posted at the Bugtracker for Bluetooth.
Maybe i should change my nick to someone so that you wouldnt need to remember it (j/k) :p .
But still, it's good to know notaz compiled+sent a kernel with that fix to you for test ;)

EDIT: Also, that procedure ED explains works with phones that appear as a BNEP PANU, I havent tested my DUN phone with networkmanager, just rigged it up from the CLI (like i always do it, and it has always worked, so I didnt want to bother with some unknown GUI).

Back