Bluetooth Tethering Dun Assistance?

EvilDragon said:
For your phone, you must enable internet connection sharing.
I'm searching real hard for this option on my nokia 3120c, but still I cannot find it. This is why I'm thinking that some java-app for the phone will be necessary for me. Or... does this option appear on the screen after connecting with bluetooth to pandora?

EDIT: because I don't have pandora yet, so I cannot test this myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
cosurgi said:
EvilDragon said:
For your phone, you must enable internet connection sharing.
I'm searching real hard for this option on my nokia 3120c, but still I cannot find it. This is why I'm thinking that some java-app for the phone will be necessary for me. Or... does this option appear on the screen after connecting with bluetooth to pandora?

EDIT: because I don't have pandora yet, so I cannot test this myself :)

Well - I don't know your phone, but does it support internet connection sharing?
If it doesn't, you won't find an option there ;)

Last edited:
cosurgi said:
I'm searching real hard for this option on my nokia 3120c, but still I cannot find it.
Your phone does DUN. My friend has 3120c that he's online with whenever not at home, so i know. May work or not work with networkmanager, possible (easy for me) from the CLI.

EDIT: And yeah there is no place to enable/disable to modem feature AFAICS.

urjaman said:
cosurgi said:
I'm searching real hard for this option on my nokia 3120c, but still I cannot find it.
Your phone does DUN. My friend has 3120c that he's online with whenever not at home, so i know. May work or not work with networkmanager, possible (easy for me) from the CLI.

EDIT: And yeah there is no place to enable/disable to modem feature AFAICS.
Sounds promising. What commands do you use in the CLI ? Or a script.

cosurgi said:
Sounds promising. What commands do you use in the CLI ? Or a script.
Programs used (if you want to google) are rfcomm, pppd and chat. I'll add the cfg file contents here (that I use with my N6630, that I wrote from memory (eg. they're not the best possible examples, but do work)) when I get home from work. But in short you need 2 files in /etc/ppp/peers, one config and one connect chat. And you need /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf. Then you need to 1. enable bluetooth 2. pair your phone with the bluetooth applet 3. run a little script (that's run as root) and you'll be online, oh and you need to write proper nameserver line to /etc/resolv.conf, or symlink it to the one written by ppp or fix ip-up dns script (dunno, it doesnt do even what it's supposed to do (it seems by default it should write /var/resolv.conf, doesnt)). So yeah as you see it's not the most userfriendly way, but I've had a need to do it internetless on a linux with the bare minimals a few times (and no internet when setting up at friends place), so thats the way I remembered well. Now that it's setup, its just a single command (shown in a terminal) (that I have an icon for in the XFCE panel) to get and stay online.

has anyone tried it with a sony ericsson celhpone?

any idea why ed's windows mobile phone would work but a se phone wouldnt?
I've gotten to try the patched kernel, no luck still.

manually doing pand -c mobilemac -n
gives
Could not connect: Connection refused (111)

Note it works fine on a laptop/pc, and tmy phone is set to allow pandoras connection always.

urjaman said:
Programs used (if you want to google) are rfcomm, pppd and chat. I'll add the cfg file contents here (that I use with my N6630, that I wrote from memory (eg. they're not the best possible examples, but do work)) when I get home from work.

so.. what about those cfg files? :)

cosurgi said:
urjaman said:
Programs used (if you want to google) are rfcomm, pppd and chat. I'll add the cfg file contents here (that I use with my N6630, that I wrote from memory (eg. they're not the best possible examples, but do work)) when I get home from work.

so.. what about those cfg files? :)
Sorry for that I forgot.
/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf:
Code:
#
# RFCOMM configuration file.
#

rfcomm0 {

# Automatically bind the device at startup
	bind yes;

# Bluetooth address of the device
	device 00:17:4B:DB:60:XX;

# RFCOMM channel for the connection
	channel	1;

# Description of the connection
#	comment "Example Bluetooth device";
}
Umm, so i think i only changed the address (and i hid my extract bt address as an afterthought).

/etc/ppp/peers/gprs:
Code:
nodetach
defaultroute
nocrtscts
lock
noauth
lcp-echo-interval 0
lcp-echo-failure 0
usepeerdns
local
/dev/rfcomm0
connect 'chat -f /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-chat'
I think i copied the "host" named file in there and edited a lot.
/etc/ppp/peers/gprs-chat:
Code:
'	'ATZ'
'OK'	'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.saunalahti"'
'OK'	'ATD*99#'
'CONNECT'	'
"internet.saunalahti" is my APN name, change that. This is a very sucky chat script, no error checking.

whatever-you-name-this-script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
killall pppd
rfcomm release 0
rfcomm bind 0
while true; do
pppd call gprs
done
That's very brute force style too, don't C+C it, close the terminal instead :p (or dont include that forever loop (atleast at first)).

I can't get that to work. I have a Centro on Sprint using USBModem, if anyone has gotten anything like that to work. Anyhow.

Does anyone know if we're going to see ED's magic "easy" way any time soon? Tomorrow would be really nice... :)

Back