Bluetooth Dun N900 - No Checkbox When Adding To Gnome Bt

foft

Certified Guru
Website
www.scrameta.net
I'm trying to get bluetooth dial up networking working, connecting to the net via the n900. I've got hotfix 4 installed. I've got the n900 end set up (tested using win7). On the pandora I can connect to the n900 but it does not show me the checkbox for using the phone to connect to the net. sdptool search DUN does find the service! is there some magic to make the gnome applet realise that DUN is supported by the n900?

foft said:
I'm trying to get bluetooth dial up networking working, connecting to the net via the n900. I've got hotfix 4 installed. I've got the n900 end set up (tested using win7). On the pandora I can connect to the n900 but it does not show me the checkbox for using the phone to connect to the net. sdptool search DUN does find the service! is there some magic to make the gnome applet realise that DUN is supported by the n900?

Not exactly DUN but I think you'll find this more useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
xopher said:
foft said:

I had problems with this but have not tried since I got my pandora back,
I use this http://www.nokian900applications.com/mobile-hotspot-for-nokia-n900/
to use the internet from my phone on my ipod touch.

xopher said:
Thanks. Looks very fiddly to set up on the N900 side - wonder if someone has made a nice package like for DUN.

I found the the Bluetooth applet used to support only PAN then DUN support was added...
http://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/commit/?id=c1c13b9dff6772bf13ab6217a2eecb986bd67687

Wonder if the version in the Pandora is older and hence PAN only?
Code:
@@ -174,9 +853,16 @@ get_connection_for_bdaddr (const char *bdaddr)
 		setting = nm_connection_get_setting_by_name (NM_CONNECTION (candidate), NM_SETTING_BLUETOOTH_SETTING_NAME);
 		if (setting == NULL)
 			continue;
+
 		type = nm_setting_bluetooth_get_connection_type (NM_SETTING_BLUETOOTH (setting));
-		if (g_strcmp0 (type, NM_SETTING_BLUETOOTH_TYPE_PANU) != 0)
-			continue;
+		if (method == BT_METHOD_PAN) {
+			if (g_strcmp0 (type, NM_SETTING_BLUETOOTH_TYPE_PANU) != 0)
+				continue;
+		} else if (method == BT_METHOD_DUN) {
+			if (g_strcmp0 (type, NM_SETTING_BLUETOOTH_TYPE_DUN) != 0)
+				continue;
+		}
+
 		addr = nm_setting_bluetooth_get_bdaddr (NM_SETTING_BLUETOOTH (setting));
 		if (addr == NULL || memcmp (addr->data, array->data, addr->len) != 0)
 			continue;

Or if it fails to find the DUN string and get_best_method doesn't return DUN - not sure if its this string that has to be exact or there is some other kind of id for DUN...
Code:
+		if (g_str_equal (uuids[i], "DialupNetworking"))
+			has_dun = TRUE;

I'm tempted to try the n900 mobile hotspot however it requires a custom kernel. I think I already have one for fcam and wonder if they'll clash.

Thanks,

Mark

foft said:
I'm tempted to try the n900 mobile hotspot however it requires a custom kernel. I think I already have one for fcam and wonder if they'll clash.

Thanks,

Mark

Forgot about that, I forget which one I use, Think its titans, ive not changed it since I got it all setup the way I like, Bluetooth would be better in the long run though, less battery useage ( i think)

meandu229 said:
foft said:
I'm tempted to try the n900 mobile hotspot however it requires a custom kernel....
Forgot about that, I forget which one I use, Think its titans, ive not changed it since I got it all setup the way I like, Bluetooth would be better in the long run though, less battery useage ( i think)

Sounds like the Titan kernel works with fcam too. So guess I can use it as a mobile hotspot. If Titan also supports iptables guess I can use PAN as described above. Will have to give both a try AND dig deeper into the DUN support on the gnome applet...

Just tried mobile hotspot. This runs fine on the n900 and the iphone picks it up. Except for tmobile 3g being utter rubbish! The pandora does not find the network though. Needs some investigation...

The PAN method is seen by the pandora ok. Does not connect yet but I guess (pretty sure) thats because I've not set up something right on the n900.

Update: Tried setting up PAN on the n900 as per the instructions. Its detected by the Pandora. If I connect in the network properties it just spins forever. So I tried manually on the commandline with pand --connect and that just quit with no info. /var/log/syslog is apparently where the errors etc go and does not exist. Arrrgh! 3 methods down and I can't get any to work on the Pandora. Awesome! Will continue to try when less frustrated :)

Update2: Posting from the pandora tethered via PAN! Had to connect manually with pand --connect xx:yy:etc then ifdown and ifup bnep0 with static config in network interfaces then put dns servers in resolv conf. Now need to figure out why connection manager won`t do this for me. Guess I need a dhcp server on the phone or something...

Update3: Connection seems fast enough except huge latency if not hit for a bit. Like 7+ seconds fo first ping!

foft said:
Just tried mobile hotspot. This runs fine on the n900 and the iphone picks it up. Except for tmobile 3g being utter rubbish! The pandora does not find the network though. Needs some investigation...

The reason that method, of using a mobile hotspot doesn't work, is that the Pandora's wireless driver does not currently support ad-hoc connections.

foft said:
Update2: Posting from the pandora tethered via PAN! Had to connect manually with pand --connect xx:yy:etc then ifdown and ifup bnep0 with static config in network interfaces then put dns servers in resolv conf. Now need to figure out why connection manager won`t do this for me. Guess I need a dhcp server on the phone or something...

Update3: Connection seems fast enough except huge latency if not hit for a bit. Like 7+ seconds fo first ping!

anychance of a more detailed tutorial im stuck, do you need pc-connectivity-suite or the bluetooth-dun package from the repos?

meandu229 said:
anychance of a more detailed tutorial im stuck, do you need pc-connectivity-suite or the bluetooth-dun package from the repos?

N900 side: Followed the howto linked above:
i) Install Rootsh,Kernel-power,iptables
ii) I also installed and removed pc-connectivity-suite. Not sure if that had an impact.
iii) Make sure /etc/bluetooth/main.cfg has network removed from the 'disabled plugins' list.
iv) Restart bluetooth (kill `pidof bluetoothd` or reboot)
v) Download bluetooth_pan.rar from http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12977&d=1281850891
v) tar -xpvf bluetooth_pan.rar to extract.
vi) Append the bluetooh_pan.sudoers to /etc/sudo/'the file containing many similar entries!'

Pandora side:
i) Enabled bluetooth from the system menu (if needed)
ii) Set up new device and check the 'use to connect to the internet' at the end.
(I found it now appears as a network device in the network manager but does not connect...)
iii) In a terminal (as root)... pand --connect 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
(where the xx is from the name of the network device in network manager. Bluetooth icon should now be blue on N900)
iv) vim /etc/network/interfaces to set up a static ip for the bnet0 interface.
(iface bnet0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1)
v) ifdown bnet0 (just in case)
vi) ifup bnet0
vii) ON THE N900: connect to the internet via 3g then run bluetooth_pan.sh
vii) ping 209.85.143.99
(should now be able to talk to google by ip)
viii) edit /etc/resolv.conf to add google nameservers (i.e. add 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' and 'nameserver 8.8.4.4')
ix) ping www.google.com
(should now be able to talk to google by name)
x) Browse!

Of course less of this is needed next time... This isn't quite how it should work so I guess the n900 side is missing some bits - hence network manager not connecting ok.

foft said:
meandu229 said:

N900 side: Followed the howto linked above:
i) Install Rootsh,Kernel-power,iptables
ii) I also installed and removed pc-connectivity-suite. Not sure if that had an impact.
iii) Make sure /etc/bluetooth/main.cfg has network removed from the 'disabled plugins' list.
iv) Restart bluetooth (kill `pidof bluetoothd` or reboot)
v) Download bluetooth_pan.rar from http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12977&d=1281850891
v) tar -xpvf bluetooth_pan.rar to extract.
vi) Append the bluetooh_pan.sudoers to /etc/sudo/'the file containing many similar entries!'

Pandora side:
i) Enabled bluetooth from the system menu (if needed)
ii) Set up new device and check the 'use to connect to the internet' at the end.
(I found it now appears as a network device in the network manager but does not connect...)
iii) In a terminal (as root)... pand --connect 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
(where the xx is from the name of the network device in network manager. Bluetooth icon should now be blue on N900)
iv) vim /etc/network/interfaces to set up a static ip for the bnet0 interface.
(iface bnet0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1)
v) ifdown bnet0 (just in case)
vi) ifup bnet0
vii) ON THE N900: connect to the internet via 3g then run bluetooth_pan.sh
vii) ping 209.85.143.99
(should now be able to talk to google by ip)
viii) edit /etc/resolv.conf to add google nameservers (i.e. add 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' and 'nameserver 8.8.4.4')
ix) ping www.google.com
(should now be able to talk to google by name)
x) Browse!

Of course less of this is needed next time... This isn't quite how it should work so I guess the n900 side is missing some bits - hence network manager not connecting ok.
you sir are a gent, posting this from pandora connected via bluetooth to n900, cheers

for anyone else trying its worth noting network manager doesnt show that its connected

Edit: all working great except im trying to make a script to run it from a queenbee icon (on n900) and when I run the bluetooth-pan.sh(home/user) from sudo gainroot it works when I run it as a normal user it doesnt, I have edited the sudoers file.
Any Idea?

Back