Bluetooth headset status?

Maybe it helps to switch audacious to the full lay-out instead of the winamp skin ;) Then it looks just like Deadbeef.
Or are there other reasons you dislike it? It plays most formats Deadbeef does afaik. At least it plays Sid files... :D

:D Sometimes there is just something that´s not as you want it.. Look at me, I only want to use gmu because it is just perfect.. but I can´t figure out how to use it with bluetooth. Audacious and deadbeef would certainly go to the bin if I can figure out how to get gmu use bluetooth. Both players just lack the features I want :D

Maybe I misunderstood your comment - are you usually using VLC for audio playback (even outside of the Pandora world) ? I have always used VLC for video playback mainly.

Yeah I use VLC for music sometimes on my linux rigs. I know it inside and out, its very extensible and feature rich. On the Pandora I'm using deadbeef primarily, as obviously it is better suited to music and a small screen.

Woah woah. Guys. I don't hate anything. I just like VLC. I use deadbeef primarily, but never really got into Audacious. I'm sure it's a fine program, there's no hate on my end.

When deadbeef was giving me problems I reached for something I knew, and it worked great. Some people like to cut their steak with a spoon, you know? :p

I got my cheapo headset and edited the config file.

-I had the ancient VLC, and I don't see an option for bluetooth headset in that. Changed to VLC2 and it seems to be working fine.
-Holliefant asked about gmu, which I think uses SDL audio.
-Anyone know how to set up gstreamer or mplayer?

On Windows or Android, there's a toggle to make the OS send all the audio to the bluetooth headset, without the applications needing to know anything about it. Is this possible on the Pandora, or are we stuck with individual application settings?

I also bought a slightly bigger one-handed Bluetooth controller ( www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131600162273 ) to replace the AB Shutter 3, and it seems to work so far. 6 buttons will be more useful than 2 anyway.
Uh-oh, it doesn't work at the same time as the headset (the audio gets choppy and the controller buttons stop doing anything)...

Last edited:
Uh-oh, it doesn't work at the same time as the headset (the audio gets choppy and the controller buttons stop doing anything)...

Is your wifi on? I've found that Wifi and bluetooth can sometimes interrupt each other (BT mice, controllers, audio). I thought my Pebble and BT audio were messing each other up when I first tested, but they've since been working fine. Therefore I'm pretty sure I was downloading a file off of PNDManager in the background and that is in fact what was getting in the way of my initial tests.

That is still a bit of a downside, but at least it is one that can be solved using the USB port. When I hook up to my TV and use bluetooth controllers, I also plug into a USB/ethernet hub for internet access. Wifi or bluetooth USB dongles can also be used if the interruption becomes troublesome.

For mplayer with Eight Bit's asound.conf:
Code:
mplayer -ao alsa:device=btheadset file

or edit ~/.mplayer/config to add
Code:
ao="alsa:device=btheadset"

I tried that - it works for VLC (including VLC1) and Deadbeef; GMU doesn't make any sound; and all the games I tried crash ("ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614: (audioservice_expect) BT_OPEN failed : Invalid argument(22)"). Does it behave better on Slackware?

Also, mplayer and gstreamer are ignoring it and playing through the Pandora speakers.

Last edited:
i don't really play lots of games, but it works without issues with drastic on slackware 14.1.

EDIT:
i just checked gmu under slackware and ran into a couple of problems.
slack somehow can't mount normal iso-file (i.e. non squashfs) .pnd files through pnd_run as it fails to recognize the filesystem format (normal ISO CDROM). thus the union can't be mounted.
slack can, of course, mount the iso file manually.
anyways, i repackaged the iso to a squashfs compressed .pnd and pnd_run can at least mount it.
but the runscript for the sdl based gmu player fails to load the shipped ../frontends/sdl.so and seems to have trouble with ALSA wanting to use BT as default.
the ncurses based player starts fine, but doesn't play any file. probably because of similar ALSA issues.

this is where wej comes into play :)

id like to get gmu running with bt for sure (ive been admiring his work for a while now).
but smplayer works out of the box and even plays my lossless .m4a files.

Last edited:
Hello, Gmu developer here. I was just made aware of this thread. The SDL frontend issue with Gmu is caused by a missing SDL_gfx library on the Slackware system. This can either be fixed by installing the library or rebuilding Gmu without a dependency on SGL_gfx. The latter would disable cover artwork support.
As for the Bluetooth audio issue, I can only guess at the moment. It has been quite a while when I last tried Bluetooth audio on Linux. Back then it didn't work well at all for me (kernel panics all the time), but I don't think this is the issue here. One thing I could imagine would be missing support for certain sample rates on the BT audio device, so some applications will fail because they are unable to open the device with their desired sample rate. If that is the case, it should be possible to fix that by setting up an ALSA dmix configuration with a resampler in front of the device and then configuring the dmix device to be the default.

now that's weird.
sdl_gfx is there, tho. (-> SDL_gfx-2.0.25)

theres also SDL2_gfx, which is not installed. i am trying to build it, but it fails, telling me i am using an unknown compiler flag "-mmmx". that's nowhere to be found in the .slackbuild or env. i dunno where it's coming from :(

apart from that: i will try your ALSA dmix suggestion with the ncurses based player.

EDIT: i just figured: dmix doesn't support a bluetooth slave. dmix is hardware only :(

Last edited:
SDL2_gfx is not necessary.
If SDL_gfx is installed, there should be a file called libSDL_gfx.so.0 in the lib directory (usually /usr/lib). If that file is there and Gmu still can't find it, something else must be wrong. Version 2.0.25 of the library should be fine.

WEJP! How are you! Long time no see :D
I still love gmu.. won´t use something else if not forced to do that.

Hey Holliefant! I'm fine, how are you? I'm glad you still like Gmu. :)

About the Bluetooth audio issue, the log file I have seen so far contains only a single hint:

ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)

That basically says that ALSA itself has a problem with the audio device. If that is the case, the problem unfortunately lies outside the scope of Gmu.
It might be worth checking if the audio socket has been enabled in /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf :
[General]
Enable=Socket
If that's the case and the issue is still there, another log file that contains at least one try of playing an audio file might give some hints what happens. If someone with such a Bluetooth setup could paste or send my such a log file, this might be helpful.

Back