Blu Battery Usage

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Website
Visit site
Ok, Seeing as no one is forth coming with regards to the life of a set of batteries in a GP32 BLU.

I did two simple tests, One with one type of battery (Ly-Polymer) and one with a set of standard Ni-mh batteries.

The setup for both tests is as follows:

1 GP32 BLU
1 SMC
Fgens (Public beta) latest version with fix

Test one:

Power: One sony ericsson Ly-Polimer 3.6v 1260mah battery as found in the p900 mobile phone. I posted pics of this somewhere else on the board.

Attached the fully charged battery, Switched on the GP32 and started the stopwatch. Loaded Fgens with sound on and loaded sonic 1. Then set it to 166mhz.

I left it playing the rolling demo until the battery died.

It lasted 1 hour and 32 minute. :(

Test two:

Power: Two Uniross 2000mah AA 1.2v batteries.

The rest was exactly the same as test one.

It lasted 1 hour and 32 minutes. :(

Hardly the 4-7 hours i have seen posted here on these boards (obviously unconfirmed) ;) .

The thing that gets me is the batteries i used have different mah ratings, But produce the same results. :blink:

Well, Those are my findings, Please post your here too.

Trooper

wow. I have Energizer 2300 mAh NiMH rechargeables, and I play my gp32_console at work, mostly.

I've not actually timed the life, but I have yet to run out of juice in my 8-hour shift, playing for an hour or so at a time.

I'd estimate a good solid 5 hours would be accurate for me.

Edit: ... and I overclock to 166 always :)

I wish my gp went pas 133 mhz. The shitty thing freezes after 1 second at 150+. And whats worse is that it has shitty battery life, and It USED to be able to go up to 180 mhz no problem.

My main point is, I have crappy battery life too, but then again, my gp32 is degrading faster than a freshman on magic mushrooms.

(pardon my french, im kindof mad over it degrading still)

Hi,

I use batteries much worse than anyone I think!

Mine are Uniross rechargers (they are the cheapest ones that Wilkos sell, anyone in UK will not what I'm on about!). They are 1.5v and a mere 800mah.

I get about 5 hours of Quake on 133 out of them!

alex

The clock speed (CPU) will have EVERYTHING to do with battery life.
Think of it this way.
Increase your car engine size and it will drink more petrol , same as your CPU.
Increase its workload and where does the extra power get sucked from...
you guessed it , your batteries.
I have found that playing the GIGADRIVE emulator on my BLU at 160 Mhz non stop with sound full on and i get approx 4 - 5 hours on UNIROSS 2300 mAh.
I think this is very reasonable.
I haven,t found a lot of difference between my BLU and FLU but i ghenerally played the FLU with the light on anyway.
I,m thinking maybe the bLU takes no more power for its backlight than the flu did..?? Not sure though..
With the clock speed lower and sound down it would obviously be longer.
I shall have to do DIVX next and see what battery life we get with film playing.
All the Best,
Davey Fontan...
Original Mystical Ninja... :ph34r:

I posted battery results the day I got them - but anyway - I also got ~5 hours, I did try it with some expensive super mega batteries from asda and they are still working after 6 hours but last night I got a crash at 166mhz so I think they are almost finished. Not bad.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Slight update:

I`ve bought some nice uniross 2300 mah batteries and re-did the test in my original post.

I am now very happy :) i get 6 hours 30 minutes in fgens at 166 mhz :D .

I also re-tested my 2000 mah and got 2 hour 45 minutes, But this was at 133 mhz. So i think i can safely say these batteries are on their way out. :( . Oh well, Their probably good for low powered stuff. :rolleyes:

Trooper

atnotts posted on Jul 5 2004 at 07:41 AM said:
I get about 5 hours of Quake on 133 out of them!
Wait wait wait... Am I the only one who noticed he said 'Quake'? Slip of the tongue, or... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back