Biggest Bargain/expenditure

miseryguts1969

Still Fresh
Hopefully this will help distract those still waiting (incl myself) and interest everyone else.

OK, so recently i have been going through my old consoles & games after some "encouragement" from my other half, and after a comment she made regarding how much i had spent over the years whilst holding aloft my saturn and a few games "how about this for example?" (i lied) i began to wonder how much i had actually spent, and quite scarily began to realise i have no idea whatsoever.

The only things where i can remember definitively how much i paid for them are a White Jap Saturn, with Battle Garega/Azel(Panzer Dragoon Saga)/Princess Crown/Radiant Silvergun and a few others (all pretty much mint condition incl machine) for £475 (took 2 months of e-mail haggling), which is for me both my biggest bargain and expenditure.

But it may not be for long as i am currently negotiating the price of an old 80s Pinball Table (fingers crossed)

I would be very interested to know what others have splashed out on or stumbled across,

Thanks for listening.

In response to the thread title, I really want to say 'Your mum'. I won't though.

Hello. I am a silly person.

I remember a hefty £250 for my purple buttoned Jap SNES import, to get it some months before the UK launch, that was pretty big spend. All other consoles pretty much bought new at RRP or 2nd hand for typically fair prices

some good game bargains though on the bay

PS3 Resistance2 when it was only out a short while I got for I think £8 Inc p&p from a woman selling her husbands copy, he spent too much time on it and she wanted shot of it, that's what was in the description, I got a steal there
I got Soul Calibur 4 and SF4 and Darkness all for £13, bargain, this was a while back when SF4 was still pretty new too

someone else got a bargain when I sold 13 games including those, for something cheap, about 40 notes I think it was, I needed the quick cash

I suffer from a bit of hoarding too.

I once kept a running total from my cheque book, it was embarrassing so I stopped.

I am too ashamed to mention how much I have probably spent over the years. Anyone in a similar position with a partner will want to keep quiet too.

Too many systems have I perceived as bargains, and aquired, and put in the attic, dust collecting.

This OP, just adds to the disorder.

Asteroid said:
I am too ashamed to mention how much I have probably spent over the years. Anyone in a similar position with a partner will want to keep quiet too.
Indeed, although I've probably spent more on a different hobby, but at least that led to a lot of exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, to answer properly:

Not sure really, there are too many to count. I bought the Dreamcast version of Skies of Arcadia for £3 though - it was in a the bargain bin at Game. I always remember that one.

Fzero said:
I remember a hefty £250 for my purple buttoned Jap SNES import, to get it some months before the UK launch, that was pretty big spend.
Though the US and Japanese machines are technically the same region (you just need to hack two pieces of plastic out of the back of the US unit's cartridge slot, or widen the Japanese one's cartridge slot), the SNES with purple buttons is the US version. Japanese ones look identical to PAL ones. ;)

As for me, I'm not sure what my biggest expenditure is. Quite likely it was my JAMMA cabinet, for £175, though. It's huge and unwieldy - I hope to get some help in building a smaller replacement cabinet specifically for use with my Pandora, once the TV-out cables ship.

As for me, I'm not sure what my biggest expenditure is. Quite likely it was my JAMMA cabinet, for £175, though. It's huge and unwieldy

All of a sudden i see a flaw in my Pinball Table plan, modest flat - BIG TABLE!!

(still can't get the hang of this posting lark)

I bought so much stuff in my life (hardcore gamer here), but these are some nice ones from the top of my head.

• SEGA Saturn (like new in box) with 10 games: €100
  • Alien Soldier, Spider-Man, and Wolverine: Adamantium Rage for the SEGA Mega Drive: all together for €70
  • Shining Force 3 for the SEGA Saturn: €60
  • Super Mario World for the SNES (like new in box): €15
  • Street Fighter 2 for the SNES (like new in box: €15
  • Donkey Kong Country 3 for the SNES (like new in box): €15
  • Super Smash TV for the SNES (like new in box): €15
  • Super Ghouls and Ghosts for the SNES (like new in box): €15
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64 (new from the store): €10
  • Ikaruga for the SEGA Dreamcast: €50
  • Sonic Adventure 2 10th Anniversary Birthday Pack for the SEGA Dreamcast (new in the store): €15
  • Grandia 2 for the SEGA Dreamcast (like new in box): €15
  • Street Fighter III: Double Impact, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000 (like new in box for SEGA Dreamcast): all together for €100 (I can get that easily for 3rd Strike alone!)
  • Dutch version of Lufia in the big box with strategy book (few hundred/thousand exist of these): €12,50 new in the store

In my childhood I bought many PC titles in the local stores for as low as €1 (classic titles in the large boxes).
Once I got a Collector's Edition of Phantasmagoria for the PC for free from a friend.

For games I limit myself to €75 to 100 max. per game (almost never do that though), whatever the title may be. I placed a bid once on Chrono Trigger for the SNES though, 150 and still didn't won!

Nowadays I always buy my games carefully online. Most of the time I import stuff from the UK and ship it to The Netherlands. Games here in The Netherlands cost like €50 to 65 in the stores. Via import I can get them for €20 to €30, and they even deliver them to my doorstep!

I'm always on the hunt for something. Sometimes little unknown classics like Ufouria for the NES, or the larger titles like Shenmue 2.

I gotta go with my PC-FX on this one, I managed to get the system and a few games for less than most of the systems alone go for on ebay :p

Ooh, that reminds me. :D New-old-stock PAL Turbografx (from the early 90s PAL market-test), as it was to be renamed for PAL regions, for £45. Bargain. And as an added bonus, half the house smelled like a 90s video game store for weeks afterwards, due to the strong scent of the rubber used on the controller cable.

miseryguts1969 said:
Hopefully this will help distract those still waiting (incl myself) and interest everyone else.

OK, so recently i have been going through my old consoles & games after some "encouragement" from my other half, and after a comment she made regarding how much i had spent over the years whilst holding aloft my saturn and a few games "how about this for example?" (i lied) i began to wonder how much i had actually spent, and quite scarily began to realise i have no idea whatsoever.

The only things where i can remember definitively how much i paid for them are a White Jap Saturn, with Battle Garega/Azel(Panzer Dragoon Saga)/Princess Crown/Radiant Silvergun and a few others (all pretty much mint condition incl machine) for £475 (took 2 months of e-mail haggling), which is for me both my biggest bargain and expenditure.

But it may not be for long as i am currently negotiating the price of an old 80s Pinball Table (fingers crossed)

I would be very interested to know what others have splashed out on or stumbled across,

Thanks for listening.

hrm.... my saturn never worked. didnt come with a power cord, and i was too young to know what the hell the internet was. (I was in grade 2) and i think it got thrown out when we moved. pitty. along with my working nes.

anyway, i spent $1.50 each for 16 playstation games. w00t.

once I found a GameBoy game on the sidewalk (w00t, free stuff)

i usually get stuff from family (my saturn and NES, and SNES, and GBA) but If I dont, i get it new. (in terms of systems)

once I found a hardware-modded Playstation on craigslist for $50

oh... I found a wireless genesis controller set with 2 controllers for $10.

I got an RF adapter for playstation(all)/n64/gamecube/xbox(all) for $5.

I got a free 80s tv (made in january 1980) from someone. thats what I got the RF adapter for.

My brother got a couple of pc controllers from his landlord. a gravis eliminator gamepad pro, and a retractable gemini game elements.

I found this really cheap MicroSD card. an 8GB class 4 kingston japan. $19.99.

I guess free stuff is a bargain? I'd say so.

you know what I hate about my nes? the game genie wont work for it. its one of those ones where you have to push the game down inside the system.

The Pandora is the most expensive console that I have bought. $$$ :pandora2ut4: $$$

My latest luxury expense (2 months ago):
Samsung C750 55" LCD 3DTV, Klipsch RF-82 Reference IV 5.1 speaker set, Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver & HD PVR
setup.jpg
I saved around $3000 from the MSRP and I spent around 2 hours haggling with the manager at the FutureShop (~Best Buy)

I bought an NES when I was 6 or 7. I saved up birthday and Christmas money and did chores. Then one day my dad came home and said I now owed him $109. My mom telling him we'd found one for only $99 will forever be burned into my brain. :)

Two new copies of Suikoden 1 and 2 for £4.99 each. That was a good day :)

I once payed someone £155 for a sealed copy of Radiant Silvergun. It hurt because I will never play it, but it's always knowing that you have something that others want ;)

I payed $800 for a gaming computer. Really good bargain though, actually, because most of the cost was for a HUGE hard drive. And the processor is 4 core, overclocked to 3.5 GHz, for only $99.
Does that count?

Come on guys! These bargains of yours are a bit pants. Don't you go to car boot sales?

Someone on here just gave me a GP2X F-100, which I now completely adore. It's even nicer than the GP32 I had. :wub:

SomeGuy99 said:
Don't you go to car boot sales?
Yep. Once got a boxed-and-complete NES at one, with a huuuuuuuuuge box full of games and accessories, for about £30. Over the course of the following week, I sold the games I didn't want, and made all of my money back.
grin.gif

Prometheus said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Don't you go to car boot sales?
Yep. Once got a boxed-and-complete NES at one, with a huuuuuuuuuge box full of games and accessories, for about £30. Over the course of the following week, I sold the games I didn't want, and made all of my money back.
grin.gif

Your bargains are rubbish! I got the same thing (Nes, millions of games), but for £15.

I have bought Snes's, Master Systems and MegaDrives for £1 each! The trick is to go just as people are fed up and leaving.

Back