Release BetaBlockQuest

Starting a new thread and closing the old poll ( http://boards.openpa...nt-first-video/ )

1. 1st-person digging game ( similar to Minecraft ) (25 votes [24.27%])
    Percentage of vote: 24.27%
  2. 3rd-person fortress management game ( similar to Dwarf Fortress, in 3D graphics, NOT in text mode) (24 votes [23.30%])
    Percentage of vote: 23.30%
  3. 3rd-person quest game with random destructable world (eg: "legend of some princess" meets realtime 3D roguelike/nethack) (37 votes [35.92%])
    Percentage of vote: 35.92%
  4. RTS game with random destructable / constructible world (aka tower defense / starcraft) (17 votes [16.50%])
    Percentage of vote: 16.50%]

I'll be combining 1 & 3 ( 60% of the votes ) into a single game.

beta_block_quest.jpg

the very good news is the game will fit in 256MB and performance-wise the world generator needs to be sped up a bit and tweaked but nothing impossible.

aside from the world generator issue, the engine performance seem satisfactory on OMAP3.

for the tech demo, you should be able to use the other shoulder button to place and remove blocks (selected from the side-bar).

and you can't kill the annoying slime :p you can trap it in a pit.

I don't have my Pandora yet so there are some PandoraOS-related issues I can't easily fix for now (like the inputs).

I'll concentrate on the game and engine code until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
for those who have nub issues you can plug in a USB controller (you might need a high-speed USB2.0 HUB for the Pandora's host port), I tested with an XBox360 USB controller, Logitech game pad, and PS2 to USB adapter on PC and BB.

no need to restart the game, it should auto-detect the new controller after a second or two.

you can also exchange the two nubs ( "nub0" "nub1" ) at the bottom of .BetaBlockQuest/joystick_map.xml

and can add flags="invert" to the Y axis:

Code:
<map src="JGAME_AXIS_Y:1" dst="JGAME_AXIS_Y:1" flags="invert" />

a control configuration GUI is already on my long todo list :)

Just reposting my impressions here for the record. :) You have already addressed these points of course.

So, having played the Rebirth entry - impressive. Real time rendering is playing catch-up a lot of the time, but the world feels smooth and natural to move around in. I hope people remember they're just playing a tech demo when they judge this; all you can do is move around (and jump) but being a from-scratch work this is quite a feat.

I know you didn't have a Pandora when you packaged this, so I'm sure there will be a heap of things you'll automatically fix when you have one. Just a couple of notes though:-

- The game opens in a partially off-screen window. Fullscreen mode will be good.

- Nub controls are good, although a little sensitive for my liking on the right nub (mouselook).

- Inverted Y axis on the right nub would be very welcome

Definitely looking forward to more!

i'm not much into that minecraft'ing stuff, but kudos for the engine/renderer!

is there something like a spectator/fly mode?

wanna share some ideas about your well designed c++ templates? :)

wanna share some ideas about your well designed c++ templates? :)

hrm ... "don't make them overly complicated" ?

can't remember exactly what event prompted me to put that line in :)

and I don't want to risk starting a flame war either.

i'm not much into that minecraft'ing

I want to make more of a Zelda type game out of it, with server-less multiplayer, and sandbox gameplay.

its still going to be optionally playable as a minecraft-ish clonadoodlelypoo mode.

is there something like a spectator/fly mode?

not yet,

there was a 3rd person mode originally, I somewhat broke it while adding the first-person mode so its disabled for now.

I played it yesterday again and I walked into a spot, that was still light blue (not loaded already and bet stuck there with one of the purple slime. I couldn't see anything but blue und the slime.

Also it starts up windowed.

yeah, that's all "normal".

I'll have to pre-generate more of the world, the CPU is having a hard time keeping up in real-time during the initial generation.

So... can anyone direct me as to where I can download this from? I'm having no luck on the repo. =(

Great to see some news here.

Is there anything different?

I don't see any difference yet (just some short testing)

I really love your game.

not much, there was a bug causing the game not restoring the nubs settings.

hopefully, its fixed now (can't test due to lack of pandora).

^

If you need a bata tester write ma a PM and I'll give report.

Give me detailed instruction and you'll have lot of fun with me :D .

Just dropping in to say I'm not dead, just a lot of stuff happened since the last compo.

I moved three times with the wife and kid, crossing the whole North American continent literally coast to coast, had to get new job (visa F-up by the us gov's inability to standarize on date formats, mixing up 01/11 and 11/01),

lost a whole harddrive's content (I had backups, 99% of BBQ was saved, whew!),

had to do 6 days work weeks to finish a game project in time for the WiiU launch date,

and after re-installing the OS and restoring the backups I found new builds of BBQ wouldn't run on OP, issues with the EGL lib, I still have to figure out the exact cause and solution.

Things are finally quieting down a bit, getting back to normal (I might just have jinxed it right there).

I hope to be able to do some updates in a few months, I bought a "2nd" Pandora from Link and already fixed the bug causing the window showing up 3/4 offscreen.

I just need to fix the cross-build issue with EGL first.

Back