Best otg adapter.

second exodous

Advanced Member
I was wondering if anyone knew of a site that reviewed USB 3.0 OTG cables? The wire cutter didn't have an article on them, I don't think many devices use them. Samsung phones, or at least the S5 use them, but really they don't need to be made well for phones because they don't get up to usb 3.0 speeds anyway. I want or that can get good speeds on the Pyra. The blue usb port on the back isn't usb 3.0, that is the usb 2.0/sata port right? To get usb 3.0 speeds a OTG adapter will need to be used?

Look for USB 3.0 OTG adapters made/designed to work with Samsung Galaxy S5, Note 3 and/or Galaxy Note 12.2. Those devices were actually USB 3.0 speeds through the OTG.

I have several USB 3.0 OTG adapters that I have used with those, but I can't exactly test how well they will work with a Pyra yet for obvious reasons.

Well I just ordered this to try out on the Devboard which should work similarly on the Pyra, I also suspect to use anything meaningful a powered USB 3.0 hub should be used.
edit: sorry for the lame amazon link, but seems I can't just paste it as a url.

Last edited:
A SSD shouldn't need a powered hub should it? It won't be there long, just long enough to move the contents of 128 GB SD to the SSD.

edit: sorry for the lame amazon link, but seems I can't just paste it as a url.
Which is a highly annoying 'feature' that I wish could be turned off.

Until then,
Code:
code tags
are the best way I've found to work around it.

A SSD shouldn't need a powered hub should it? It won't be there long, just long enough to move the contents of 128 GB SD to the SSD.
It may not need it, but it may drain the battery in 30 minutes.

It may not need it, but it may drain the battery in 30 minutes.

Though SSD drives have very low power needs in stand by, they can be pretty spiky and noisy power loads when asked to actually read/write. I'm not saying it won't work - but that it might be a case where it could work with some SSD drives (designed for notebooks) and not with others (designed for data centers).

But - since it is an SSD - it is most likely a SATA SSD. If he's wanting to use it on a USB 3.0 connection, then it is likely a SATA SSD housed in a USB enclosure - one that would be highly likely to also have a barrel connector for additional external power. If that is the case, then maybe power the external SSD enclosure off of a dedicated power pack (phone charger battery).

Of course if it is an enclosure meant to house an SSD, it might also have an eSATA port, which could be an even better solution for the data transport.

Well, I have one drive that is in a mSATA case but it only has USB 3.0 cast, the other SSD is in my notebook and if I can edit video well enough on the Pyra then I'll take the 2.5 SSD out of the notebook and sell it. I have a y-cable, one side plugs into the drive and another lead that plugs into a battery so I could do that.

I haven't looked into getting a esata case for my 2.5 ssd but I couldn't find one for a mSATA.

With regard to OTG adapter cables - I just received one of these:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q2ONMKI

It is a 4 port USB 3.0 hub with connectors on the to-host chord for both USB 3.0 type A and microUSB 3.0 OTG. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but am anxious to some day see how it works with a Pyra. It is fairly compact - yes, larger than a single port dongle, but still - not bad.

This is what I was thinking, can only have one device at a time but it takes up less space.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-S5-Micro-USB-3.0-OTG-Y-Cable-Support-Hardisk5-500x554.JPG
Micro-B-USB-3-0-OTG-Host-Flash-Disk-Y-Cable-with-USB-Power-Supply-Cable.jpg

Then I could just use the power bank for power.

Back