Best Games For Msx/msx2

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
Any suggestions? I've heard that rlyeh's fMSX is full-speed, so I've been thinking of trying some games for quite a while now, but I know absolutely nothing about the system...

Also, I DEFEND the existence of this thread! Having an "all other consoles" thread is simply too unwieldy. I think that all consoles, even small ones, should have their own thread! I'm sure that they'll all become big with time.

Esn posted on Jul 25 2004 at 09:24 AM said:
Also at I DEFEND the existence of this thread! Having an "all other consoles" thread is simply too unwieldy. I think that all consoles, even small ones, should have their own thread! I'm sure that they'll all become big with time.
what are you talking about? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The msx is great for its VERY small roms (~24kb zipped) and its GREAT sound.
(midi synth)

Also, there are a lot of wacky japanese games for it (like on the PCE) and a lot of arcade conversions were made for it.

I Recommend it!

I tried a few MSX1 roms (the Goodset is only 11 meg), but I got depressed because I didn't know what I was doing. Eventually I will try some MSX2 ones.

Esn, you MUST try this game if you like puzzle games at all, it's called Match Maniac and it's very satisftying to play and FREE to download here

There seems to be quite a bit of new games for the MSX2 in development, checkout BOMBAMAN - looks hot!

and I totally agree with having a dedicated thread for MSX

Any of the Nemesis/Gradius series are worth playing - Probably the best known shooters on the MSX.

I've fished out what I consider to be some of the better msx1&2 games:

Dan Wung - Strange jap flipscreen with very catchy music and extremely original gameplay

Thexder - crazy transformers style robot to plane thingy, really quite cool, I'm a bit hooked on this one

Konami Tennis - Really fun tennis game, one of the better I've tried

Aleste - cool vertical shooter with loads of sprites all over the place

Zenji - one of my all time favourite puzzle games!

knightmare - an original shootemup with some odd powerups

knightmare 2 - completely different to the previous game, this time a platform game in a castle

car fighter - spy hunter style game

Galaga & Galaxian - these run perfectly

Magical Kid Wiz - cool platformer

There's just soooo goddamn many of them though, anyone else got some recommendations for the more unusual games?

Boil posted on Jul 25 2004 at 06:08 AM said:
I'm currently playing Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (great translation) and Vampire Killer. They all work with sound and everything great.
where did you get your translation?
i couldn't find one at zophar

edit: i can't find any windows msx emulators that actually work
can some1 point me in the right direction

i want to try it out before i do it on my gp32

diablo2 posted on Jul 26 2004 at 07:00 PM said:
http://www.file-hunter.com/ss-eng.html
The translation was a fan-project from quite a while ago.

As for PC emulators, again try looking at MSX.org, they should have links to all the latest emulators. If you've got quite a hefty machine I can recommend OpenMSX. A bit difficult to set up but definitely most accurate when it comes to emulating the MSX computer-platform.
Other popular emulators are BlueMSX and NLMSX.

Hazey posted on Jul 26 2004 at 06:43 PM said:
diablo2 posted on Jul 26 2004 at 07:00 PM said:
http://www.file-hunter.com/ss-eng.html
The translation was a fan-project from quite a while ago.

As for PC emulators, again try looking at MSX.org, they should have links to all the latest emulators. If you've got quite a hefty machine I can recommend OpenMSX. A bit difficult to set up but definitely most accurate when it comes to emulating the MSX computer-platform.
Other popular emulators are BlueMSX and NLMSX.
thanks
openmsx is running good for me

i have one more question though
i downloaded bombaman
but it comes with a bunch of different files
how to i make all these files into a rom that i can play on openmsx
thanks

it would help also if there was a similar process for amiga because i want to play the amiga verion of payback on uae

diablo2:

I think you can only play DSK or ROM files on fmsx32, but I've found some disk images that are like, 3 disk sets and have been appended together, so instead of having 3 720k files you get one massive 2160k file which will just make fmsx32 crash :(

Anyone played SD Snatcher? it's supposed to be one of the best games.....

I've not played Snatcher, but I know it requires a lot of keyboard input so I don't think I'll bother. Also, I'm not sure if it's been translated or not. I saw a WIP translation, but nothing finished.

Does look neat, though.

Back