Berzerk 2x

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Hi Classic Gamer, I missed your other thread which turned into a flame fest. Anyway just to let you know, I am going to take a break from action-scripting and Origin, so I am going to put a bit of work into Berzerk 2X :)

Things I hope to complete by the end of this weekend:

Player death.
Player Fire.
Robot AI.
Robot Fire.
Evil Otto.
And I am going to start to design some of the bonus elements that appear in later rounds.

:)

at last ...lol.....i thought you had forgotten or had given up on making berzerk...cant wait to play this when you have it finished....:)

fatdad posted on Feb 13 2007 at 07:39 AM said:
at last ...lol.....i thought you had forgotten or had given up on making berzerk...cant wait to play this when you have it finished....:)
Nope, never gave up for a second as Berzerk is one of my all time favourites, I even own the domain name :rolleyes:

I really hope I capture the simplistic gameplay of the original and introduce some new twists! I don't want to mention what they are as I'm not going to spoil the surprises. One of the things I loved about the original is the simple graphics, especially the rather daft way your player ran around :lol: So I hope to keep the feel but still update it, it's gonna be a toughie!!!!!!

The other thing I want to avoid is releasing it in beta form. I want to get the thing complete before you boys get yer mits on it. However, I might release some sneak screenshots if you shout loud enough!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck with this - glad you're sticking with basic graphics :)

Berzerk was also one of my all-time faves - along with Cosmic Guerrilla.. (wouldn't mind remaking that one myself.. I have a few ideas, but lack the time these days :( )

The 'new twists' also sound like a good plan to me. I think berzerk's a good basis for a slightly deeper game - without getting it too involved anyway; still needs to be a 'pick up and have a blast' game methinks.

Yeah - I wouldn't do too many betas - can spoil the surprise imho; screenshots to whet people's appetites would be good though..

What do you mean the daft way he runs.. I run like that :D

what about closed beta testing? I guess this is better then releasing a v1.0 with bugs :)
And regarding the twists, maybe if you made a classic mode on the side, you will give us the chance to have the great of both, a classic Berzerk + Berzerk 2x.

But... we already have the classic berzerk on mame.
And a rewrite can't be more accurate than that I would think. :)

There was a shareware game on the Atari ST last century some time where it was laid out like berzerk, but you had to destroy a 'generator' on the level before you could kill any of the robots.. That was a challenge dodging around them and drawing them away from areas to get to the generator - evil otto timeout would have to be big on that one though..!

Actually I will be looking for Beta Testers, I need the kind of people who will really give it a good ole going over, and who don't get bored of multiple releases. What I might do is to create a little forum for it where only the beta testers can access certain parts, and a password protected download system could be nice. This will be good for me as any bug reports can be added as threads and possibly discussed.

Any takers? If so, PM me your email address and when I am ready I will contact you.

Hugs in advance,
Clare.

i think a nice difference from the orginal would be the exit doors stay locked till you kill all the robots,rather than run out as soon as evil otto arrives. a different colour for your laser fire from the robots would be nice...:)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 13 2007 at 02:23 AM said:
Hi Classic Gamer, I missed your other thread which turned into a flame fest. Anyway just to let you know, I am going to take a break from action-scripting and Origin, so I am going to put a bit of work into Berzerk 2X :)

Things I hope to complete by the end of this weekend:

Player death.
Player Fire.
Robot AI.
Robot Fire.
Evil Otto.
And I am going to start to design some of the bonus elements that appear in later rounds.

:)
:D Now this is the news I've been waiting on for a long time! I cannot wait to see it. Berzerk is one of the top 5 classics for me and it never gets old... so anything that adds to it is tops with me! *cheers*

As soon as this posts look for a PM. I log in every day so I wouldn't mind testing... can ya tell?! ;)

Berzerk.png

Okay folks, in response to the PMs, I will be setting up the forum and secure downloader tonight. I am writing my own custom downloader which shouldn't take long. I will lock off a section of my present forum allowing beta testers access.

I will answer all your PMs soon and thanks for all the responses :).

TTFN,
Clare.

Could I volunteer my services as "voice talent" I'm classicly trained at the Royal Academy... People say I sound like a young Sir John Gielgud. My shakespearean tenor shall ignite the passions of the players. Here are two examples:

<clears throat>
Got the humanoid; got the intruder.

and one more if I may...

Chicken, fight like a robot!

Do I have the job?

markiej posted on Feb 13 2007 at 06:22 PM said:
Could I volunteer my services as "voice talent" I'm classicly trained at the Royal Academy... People say I sound like a young Sir John Gielgud. My shakespearean tenor shall ignite the passions of the players. Here are two examples:

<clears throat>
Got the humanoid; got the intruder.

and one more if I may...

Chicken, fight like a robot!

Do I have the job?
LMAO, well not for the robot voices, a lot will come from the original game, and the rest will be done by me and a vocoder. But you have sparked an idea, I will be writing the music and I would looove a news reader kind of voice to be in the background of the title screen :). I'm hoping to make the title music really energetic with snipits of hysterical news reports about the Berzerk class robots slaughtering the population.

I was also going to use my voice to announce certain things in the game, but I would like a male voice in there too for some things. Do you have a good mic as if I were to give you little phrases, could you record them with feeling? Now I could use my boyfriend, but I hate to say his acting skills are not really up to the job, he does a brilliant Basil Brush tho :)

Okay I have a little list of volunteers for the job of Berzerk 2X beta Testers:

Classic Gamer
jbrodack
DaveC
saehn
saehn
spoyser
pkostrze

You guys now need to register on the BerZerK forum using the same name as your ID on this forum. I will then open up the beta test section to you. Let me know when you have registered. If you have any problems, please let me know.

The downloads section will be written soon, but not tonight as it's Valentines day and I'm going to be busy cooking a nice meal for my fella :wub:

Thanks once again to you all.
Clare.

Okay I had a problem with forums SMTP, but I have now sorted that out. Because of such I have had to manually activate the following:

Classic Gamer
DaveC
saehn

So you guys can now log in, anyone else who used User IDs which are not the same as the GP32X forums please let me know what they are and I can do the same.

Sowy about that :blink:

Do you have a good mic as if I were to give you little phrases, could you record them with feeling?
While my post was obviously a goof, I actually have done some voice work. Very generic yank male voice. I may have an old karaoke mic around... Maybe I could sing the theme song?

(ahem)

When you get between the moon and new york citeeee!

markiej posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:08 PM said:
Do you have a good mic as if I were to give you little phrases, could you record them with feeling?
While my post was obviously a goof, I actually have done some voice work. Very generic yank male voice. I may have an old karaoke mic around... Maybe I could sing the theme song?

(ahem)

When you get between the moon and new york citeeee!
I think not :lol:

warning...this may sound rubbish...lol... but i dont remember a background story to the berzerk game,,,i was thinking that you could adopt the battlestar galactica story to it...the robots could be cylons,,,they already sound like them,,,,the rooms your running through could be a cylon base that your trying to destroy,,,ie end room a master computer to blow up.....evil otto could be the cylon emperor , and of course your we man could be anyone from battlestar....instead of the classic \ orginal black floor -would a proper background be possible....

adding more...lol

fatdad posted on Feb 14 2007 at 04:24 PM said:
...but i dont remember a background story to the berzerk game...
Here you go. It's not much - though they did write some REALLY good stories for a good lot of their games. :)

Complete Berzerk Manual C/O AtariAge.com
www.atariage.com posted on Feb 14 2007 at 04:24 PM said:
1. GOING BONKERS WITH BERZERK

The Astro Date is 3200 and you are the last survivor of a small group of earth people who came to explore the planet Mazeon. Soon after landing, you discovered the planet is a dark, apparently uninhabitable place. But by then it was too late to turn back because your space craft had been destroyed by Automazeons.

Now you are a prisoner here. You are trapped in a maze where even the walls are death to touch. Grim robot thugs known as "Automazeons" stalk you relentlessly and you must systematically pulverize them with your laser gun before they eliminate you with theirs.

You are never safe on the planet Mazeon. Even when you've destroyed the mechanical heavies, Evil Otto, the mad and merciless mind behind the robot gangs, leaps out from where he's been observing the battle. You flee in panic because you know that you cannot kill Evil Otto and that, once he catches you, you'll never escape.

He will pound you to a lifeless pulp, grinning like a maniac all the while. Your only hope is to get out of the electrified maze before Evil Otto catches you.

If you do get out, you find yourself in another maze. Again the faceless robots shoot at you, again Evil Otto pursues you, again you must dodge and shoot and run ... into yet another maze. It's enough to drive you bonkers!

Back