Bejeweled 2 Clone?

Dzz

stmia r0!, {r2-r9}
Website
Visit site
Hi all!

I was thinking it might be fun to challenge myself to see what sort of Bejeweled 2 clone I could produce in one month. I think probably that such a game would be well received, but I thought I'd get feedback before starting.

First, if somebody else is well-along on such a thing already and expects to release it in that time frame, that would stop me. So if that's true of you, please let me know! Of course if you don't follow through with that release in short order I'll throw rocks at you :)

Second, that game is similar to Tilematch (which is itself something of a clone of another game I believe). If it would be redundant for that reason and therefore uninteresting that would be bad. I also don't want to do it if that would be unfair to miq01. I think that game has been out long enough that another somewhat similar game could come out without being unfair, but if that's not true I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

Dzz posted on Jul 9 2006 at 01:19 AM said:
Hi all!

I was thinking it might be fun to challenge myself to see what sort of Bejeweled 2 clone I could produce in one month. I think probably that such a game would be well received, but I thought I'd get feedback before starting.

First, if somebody else is well-along on such a thing already and expects to release it in that time frame, that would stop me. So if that's true of you, please let me know! Of course if you don't follow through with that release in short order I'll throw rocks at you :)

Second, that game is similar to Tilematch (which is itself something of a clone of another game I believe). If it would be redundant for that reason and therefore uninteresting that would be bad. I also don't want to do it if that would be unfair to miq01. I think that game has been out long enough that another somewhat similar game could come out without being unfair, but if that's not true I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

I say go for it. Tilematch is a clone of Bejeweled. I have no idea if Bejeweled is an original game or not. All Bejeweled 2 added to it was updated grahics and maybe a few new game modes.

What I would really like to see would be a version of Settlers of Cattan for the GP2X. Or maybe a really nice Mahjong game. Something like Mah Jong Quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Bejeweled without a touchscreen sucks... :-/ I'd rather see a Pokemon Puzzle League/FruitSwap 100%/whatever the other name was - clone. It's somewhat similar but imo better for dpad gameplay.

I say do whatever makes you happy. If you can put your own spin on it like you always seem to, then I'm sure it will be a worthwhile addition to anyone's SD card. :)

OrR posted on Jul 8 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Well, Bejeweled without a touchscreen sucks... :-/ I'd rather see a Pokemon Puzzle League/FruitSwap 100%/whatever the other name was - clone. It's somewhat similar but imo better for dpad gameplay.
Already been working on it for about a month : ) It is now somewhat playable but I don't know how long it'll be before it is complete so there is no point asking.

is pokemon puzzle league similar to Tetris Attack? I loved that game!

Dzz - go for it! Maybe see if you can add something completely original to it so that it is still entertaining to those of us who are sick of the original game (due to overplaying it :p)

Bejeweled 2 added 'explodey gems' or something of the sort - match 4 or more in a row, one will turn into a glowy gem. if you use that gem in a match, it'll blow up surrounding gems. i think if you matched 5, it turned into a super-explodey, but i don't remember for sure.

one thing i thought TileMatch was lacking was vibrant feedback when matches are made, and the like. the Bejeweled games handle this quite well.

I personally think Hexic (like the free xbox live arcade game on 360 premiums) would be a better choice. I am sure someone is familiar with it. It plays nicely without a touchscreen.

Shouldn't take too long.. I whipped up Manticore in about 3 days for the core, plus another week to make it feel a bit more complete :) Manticore could be turned into bejwelled without too much work.

I think a game like that is really quite basic.. the complexity in the code is all in the pollish.. sliding panels, making it pretty, drawing nice artwork, getting nice audio.. all that jazz. the game itself.. well, its been implemented on the C64 after all :)

jeff

Rivroner posted on Jul 9 2006 at 09:14 AM said:
Zuma at zuma at zuma at zuma :D
I had thought about zuma or luxor but in neither case can I figure out how to make the controls effective. Those games rely on pinpoint aiming done very fast and I can't think of a way to do it with the gp2x. The scheme used in Bubble Train (gbax competitoin winner) is just not accurate enough in my opinion.

If I could figure this out I'd do a zuma or luxor clone instead in a heartbeat. "Luxor: Amun Rising" is one of my favorite games of all time. At least with the Bejeweled type game the method used in Tilematch is adequate. If I go forward with the project I will probably use the L key as a "shift" key that accelerates cursor movement to make moving far distances faster. Maybe the same thing could be done for zuma...

How about a Paintball or Psarakia? Those were my favourite Palm puzzlers and as far as I can tell, they are original. Of course they would also be optimal with a touchscreen but especially Psarakia could work without one since it only uses 5*5 tiles. Of course it'd be difficult to find out how the game works if you don't have a Palm... Check it out here: http://crazysoft.gr/palm_os/puzzle_games/psarakia.asp I love the combos. B) Maybe you could even do an official port?

Thanks for your input everybody! I have decided what to do (but will keep it to myself for now rather than start talking about vaporware).

Orkie posted on Jul 8 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
OrR posted on Jul 8 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Already been working on it for about a month : ) It is now somewhat playable but I don't know how long it'll be before it is complete so there is no point asking.

... then what was your reason for posting this useless information? :p

Back