Before You Kill Me For Asking, I Just Want To Know

Destructo2000

Website
Visit site
I've been on the forum for almost a year, and I always hear people saying that a 32x emulator is impossible, blah blah blah. It's all been said before. I'm curious though as to what makes it so hard to emulate, as I've never really heard an explanation. Is it just too powerful or has nobody ever really tried it. I've seen the progress made on the PSX emulator, and I'm aware that they are very different machines, but I'm just wondering why it's so hard to make a 32x emulator.

Destructo2000 said:
I've seen the progress made on the PSX emulator, and I'm aware that they are very different machines, but I'm just wondering why it's so hard to make a 32x emulator.
Well the PSX emu runs at half speed with poor sound. A 32X emu could probably be made to do that too but what would be the point after all of that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that too, but (correct me if I'm wrong) the psx had a 33 mhz processor and the 32x had 23 mhz. I know that there's more too it than that, but to me it just seems like a less powerful machine.

We probably could get it to run about 30fps. Emulating all those chips would be quite an undertaking, although nowhere near as complex as e.g. the Sega Saturn.

But the main thing is, nobody really is that interested in emulating the 32x. Very few people owned one, and there were very few good games for it. Sega's market share was getting pwned at the time by the Super Nintendo.

Destructo2000 said:
I know that too, but (correct me if I'm wrong) the psx had a 33 mhz processor and the 32x had 23 mhz. I know that there's more too it than that, but to me it just seems like a less powerful machine.
Actually the 32x has 23 MHz x2. :) But, the point has already been made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back