Beetlerun

Just popped it on the sd, and tryin it now (it works for me) fun game! no idea what to do tho, but its a good start! Great Job!

Goemon4 posted on Mar 15 2007 at 07:11 PM said:
Just popped it on the sd, and tryin it now (it works for me) fun game! no idea what to do tho, but its a good start! Great Job!
Instructions will be added when it is fully finished. Until then please refer to the help in "Antrun".
The link is in the opening post.

@purple_goat: I don't know what is wrong. I have the same firmware version. Maybe you got a corrupt download. Please feel free to try again and tell me it if still does not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i figured out what to do, and its quite fun! i like these styles of games... so yeah, thanks!

(and ditto, im runnin 2.1.1 and it runs fine)

purple_goat posted on Mar 15 2007 at 07:34 PM said:
redownloaded and still nothing.. (I have it ./games/BeetleRun/BeetleRun.gpe :blink:
I just deleted all files and redownloaded it and it works perfectly for me. Do you have the SDL libs installed?

No no, firmwares 2.0.0 and above have the SDL libs built in, so don't bother messing around with that*.

The game is very fun, however in some instances it seems impossible not to lose, especially at the beginning. The bug walks from start straight into a crossway, and goes off the map, and there's nothing I can do to steer it. Other than that, my only regret is that it bumps you to the main screen after you lose. Thanks for the game, good luck completing it!

- Alex

Edit * wow! they are needed? :eek: did you downgrade from 3.0, perhaps that's why?

Alex. posted on Mar 15 2007 at 12:56 PM said:
Edit * wow! they are needed? :eek: did you downgrade from 3.0, perhaps that's why?
nope,
2.1.0 out of the box, I also installed the libs before (I think :blink: ) but it worked, so cool, I guess :unsure:

I'm glad it works now. Sorry for the exiting when you are game over. I didn't get to make a retry menu yet.
The levels are randomly generated. So it may happen that you can't win, but this is very unlikely. Perhaps you just didn't make use of the "tunneling" feature yet. It means that if you leave the the level at the border, you will come back at the other side. If the gauge at the right side was already filled the path will also be made clear again. Besides, you can also turn the start tile before the beetle enters the field.

alright
mini-review because I really like this game:

Needs:
high score table
main menu (so you don't quit when you lose)
icon (I made one cuz I can :), feel free to use it officially, or not :p )
beetlerunlt7.png

should have:
sound (backround music/sfx)
pause

would be awesome:
unlockable new beetles (different colors and abilities i.e. jumps over one yellow square, or moves slower, or more points per-square)
custom tiles (like pipes)

:)

just if you want some ideas for new stuff :)

wow purple goat... do you actually do something else but lurk somewhere on the boards and wait for someone to release a new game without an icon so you can whip one up immediately? No offense, I think that's really cool. i am just wondering. wow... just wow. We need more people who are that dedicated.

Cool game btw.

*update online*

The sound will still be improved. I'm yet searching for some nice background music.
I leave the skinning to the community. Just edit "Tiles.bmp" and post here what you made if you want.
The game can now be exited with L + R + START.

EDIT: Sorry. I almost forgot to thank purple_goat for the nice icon. I will mention you in the readme, once I get to make some.

Lol, purple_goat, I can't help but notice in almost every single one of your posts that there is a Smiley after every sentence. It dosent mater really I guess....just kinda funny.

HEP posted on Mar 16 2007 at 07:11 AM said:
*update online*

The sound will still be improved. I'm yet searching for some nice background music.
I leave the skinning to the community. Just edit "Tiles.bmp" and post here what you made if you want.
The game can now be exited with L + R + START.

EDIT: Sorry. I almost forgot to thank purple_goat for the nice icon. I will mention you in the readme, once I get to make some.
edit: nice update, now just for high scores and this could tide everyone over until sqdef and slick come out

@shifty:

Back