Release BeebEm alpha, Acorn BBC Micro emulator

sswam

Advanced Member
update:

Pandora BeebEm is now beta, with less bugs!  and games are very playable.
A pocket Beeb is turning out to be more fun than I thought!
(Now fixed to work good on FAT SD cards also.)

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=beebem-15428

a list of some great Beeb games:  Avaitor, Boffin, Bonecruncher, Castle Quest, Cholo, Chuckie Egg, Citadel, Codename Droid, Colorspace, Contraption, Crazee Rider, Cybertron Mission, Daredevil Dennis, Deathstar, Despatch Rider, Dragon World, Dread Dragon Droom, Dunjunz, Elite, Elixir, Exile, Firetrack, Flowers Of Crystal, Frak, Freefall, Future Shock, Galaforce, Grannies Garden, Harvey Headbanger, Holed Out, Hunchback, Imogen, Inertia, Killer Gorilla, Knightlore, L (Mathematical Adventure), Labyrinthe, Magic Mushrooms, Meteors, Monsters, Mr EE, Palace Of Magic, Pinball Arcade, Plan B, Planetoid, Powerplay, Psycastria, Ravenskull, Repton, Repton 3, Revs, Ricochet, Rocket Raid, Sabre Wulf, Savage Pond, Sentinel, Shylock Gnomes, Snapper, Space Pilot, Starship Command, Strykers Run, Summer Olympiad, Superior Soccer, Through The Dragon's Eye, Thrust, Thunderstruck, Twin Kingdom Valley, Winter Olympiad, Wizadore, Wizzy's Mansion, Xor, Zalaga

To-do list:

next - remember selected save state folder

next - hide "black shadow" mouse pointer

next? - use Pandora's full vertical resolution, not 240 scan-lines like the gp2x version

openacorn.jpg

original post:

This is an alpha with two emulators, and known bugs.

- GP2X BeebEm, with minor changes (use F3)
- UNIX BeebEm, with minor changes (use F11)
- built with gcc, optimized for OMAP3
- with Notaz SDL, for hardware scaling
- a launcher, to select which emulator
- a few disk images are included with each emulator

Known bugs:

- GP2X BeebEm uses 320x240, some scan lines are lost.
- UNIX BeebEm has very slow screen refresh.
- Keyboard mapping issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sswam. Lack of a BBC emulator for the pandora has felt like a gap. Will download shortly and give it a try.

hi.

gp2x version works really well. be good to select the disc directory. have to keep navigating to it every time. same for save states.

the unix vesion crashes my Pandora when you select discs.

but im loving this :)

Excellent work, thank you!

I can't get the pandora d-pad or buttons to map, I guess this is the "keyboard mapping issues" :)

When loading discs in the Unix version, my pandora hangs too.

the gp2x version def. better for now. The unix version uses gtk to load discs, appears under the SDL overlay so gets stuck. Unix in a window + fullscreen option works better, but it's slow refresh for now.

Well I have given it a try and looking very promising. I am a huge BBC fan and loved this emu on the GP2X.

I fired up Arcadians as I always find this a useful game to see how things are and it runs well. The keyboard mapping not being complete means it isn't very playable as it uses caps lock and control for movement.

I assume I am right that at present you can't map keys to the dpad?

Thanks once again.

It's great loading up some of the BBC classics. I got Imogen started earlier, I loved that game and I think it was only released on the beeb.

Thanks for the work so far, i'm looking forward to future releases!

I never had a BBC Micro but I do have some roms. When I launch beebem, I get a text console, not sure what the commands are to load anything.

[[EDIT]] I pressed F3

Hey sswam.

Do you key configs actually work? I`m trying to configure them now.. I won`t carry on setting them up if they aren`t working right just yet :)

Some keys won't work as it is, it's been hacked to work on the gp2x and I need to adjust that for the Pandora. I'll try to get it done in the next day or two.

Hi sswam. Emulator continues to run well. Are you still planing to sort the key mapping as this would be a huge step forward.

Thanks again.

ok..

Dare Devil Dennis

Revs

Starship Command

Felix in the Factory

Stock Car

Bandits at 3 o`clock ( best played with two players really )

I'll try to sort the keymapping bug tonight (or ASAP), it's nice to know that a few ppls are interested in it! :) The BEEB was awesome; BBC BASIC was super-awesome, still the best programming language for my money! well ... I remember it with pleasure, anyway. Embedded 6502/ARM assembler = WIN in my book. If only it were so easy to embed assembly code in GCC as it was in BBC BASIC.

Meanwhile (shameless off-topic promotion), please try my game Rescue, there is a lot of unclaimed prize money for playing it!! and it's not that hard to win some.

@stainy, do all those games really work in it already?

Excellent news sswam :) yes they all do.. but some are a pig to play because of the key mapping...

downloading Rescue now :)

If anyone else stumbles on this thread, the BBC Emulator is working nice now.

- fixed the keyboard mapping issues

- save states seem to work

- fixed up UI for Pandora (removed some stuff, use pandora buttons)

- the start and select buttons do things now

- removed the slow "unix" beebem version from the pnd, for now

- Updated the pnd on the repo

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=beebem-15428

Stainy, want to try for a Pandora makeover like this one?  heheh!

openacorn.jpg

See here for the other pandora makeover concept pics!

http://pandorapress.net/misc/pandorapress/pandorapress/pandorapress.net/2009/10/28/retro-pandora-makeovers-we-wish-were-real/index.html

Back