Beat2x V0.2

Sounds like you didn't install the pack correctly. How do you install it? Have you read the readme? Uncompress the pack inside the 'beat2x/packs' folder. After that, you should have 'beat2x/packs/ccMixter' with all the pack files inside that folder.

I'm not sure, but Beat2X should run fine on previous firm versions, except for (maybe) some latency problems in music.

---

Edit: File already available in the archive.

One suggestion. When you fail a level, can it auto quit instead of you suffering through the rest of the song knowing you lost anyway?

PSyMastR posted on Mar 4 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
One suggestion. When you fail a level, can it auto quit instead of you suffering through the rest of the song knowing you lost anyway?
Press START to go to the main menu (and read the readme.eng.txt... :)).

Last edited by a moderator:
miq01, I have 1.2.0 and this plays like a dream. Perfectly in sync and hard as hell. What an amazing game. I really hope you keep up with this and Tilematch. Both games are probably the most addictingly fun homebrew games on the 2X! I think you'll have a lot of people making custom packs now, so the fun will be endless! The icon is definately a must (I think every game/emu should have one). I haven't tried this game w/ tvout yet, but I think it would be fun w/ bigscreen action. I'll let you know how it goes.

mooseknuckle2000 posted on Mar 4 2006 at 09:04 PM said:
miq01, I have 1.2.0 and this plays like a dream. Perfectly in sync and hard as hell. What an amazing game. I really hope you keep up with this and Tilematch. Both games are probably the most addictingly fun homebrew games on the 2X! I think you'll have a lot of people making custom packs now, so the fun will be endless! The icon is definately a must (I think every game/emu should have one). I haven't tried this game w/ tvout yet, but I think it would be fun w/ bigscreen action. I'll let you know how it goes.
1.2.0 and working? Well, that's great news! Mr_munk, I'm just sending you a ZIP with everything included, because it looks a bit strange.

Mooseknuckle, I hope you're right and there's people working on custom packs. :) About tvout, I don't have one so I haven't been able to test it, but if Tilematch works (that's what I've been told), this should work too.

I was going to convert my own stepfiles over... but I wondered. In the Beat2X native format, is the BPM constant throughout the song? Can you change it? Also would I be right in thinking you can't currently freeze arrows?

If that's the case, I may as well make some new stepfiles from scratch, rather than try and convert my current material.

PokeParadox posted on Mar 4 2006 at 09:33 PM said:
I was going to convert my own stepfiles over... but I wondered. In the Beat2X native format, is the BPM constant throughout the song? Can you change it? Also would I be right in thinking you can't currently freeze arrows?

If that's the case, I may as well make some new stepfiles from scratch, rather than try and convert my current material.
BXE files are not based on BPM, but on milliseconds, so songs can have any BPM. If you want L button to be pressed on ms 1200, just write a line like this:

Code:
L 1200
So you'll need to make a new file from scratch. Sorry, but that's what I have now. :) To make things easier (and faster), you can create patterns. Something like this example:

Code:
def 1 BASSLINE1
    B 8150
    B 8899
end

This means that it defines a pattern with id 1 and name BASSLINE1. Don't need to put a name if you don't want to, but the id is mandatory, it must be a number, and cannot be repeated.

After defining it, it's saying that it expects a B press at 8150, another B at 8899 and an X at 9404.

To use this pattern, simply put something like this:

Code:
use 1 10152
This means that you want to use BASSLINE1 (pattern 1) starting at 10152, and it's the same as writting

Code:
B 18302 <--- 8150+10152
B 19051 <--- 8899+10152
X 19556 <--- 9404+10152

Check 'PorchCat - Never Get Out (Billyclub Mix).bxe' inside the ccMixter song pack. These examples are taken from that file.

Wow... my English sucks... Hope you understand it. It's not difficult at all. Just takes some time to do it.

And, btw, I'm using SoundForge to open the OGG and know the milliseconds.

Thanks for the tips... it hadn't registered the fact that there IS NO BPM since it is completely time-based.

Your English doesn't suck as much as you think(if at all), I understood perfectly, and I get how your format works now, thanks.

Loving the game and your mini tutorial. I just edited a bxe for the Years Younger song to try to make multiple button presses register to make it a little harder, but it didn't work. It only registered one button press and therefore only half of the combination was recognised.

For example, I put something like this in the song:
Code:
^
v
< >
^
v
< >
^ v
^ v
<
>
<
>
I hope you can see there that ^, v, <, > are Up, Down, Left, Right, respectively. Button combinations like this makes the song a little bit more fun and more challenging. I changed the bxe to test this out like so:
Code:
A 175444
B 175444
Y 176420
which should give you
Code:
< >
^ v
Now, it appears on screen properly, but it only takes in one button press so I get one Perfect and one Poor.

Any chance of working this out?

Yep, no simultaneous button presses for now. As you say, only one of them is registered, while the other one is missed. I'll implement that, now that one can play both with the stick and buttons.

I cannot get this to work for the life of me. I am using FW 1.4

I select the game and get to the main menu, i select to play the game and the game returns to the main menu, I relaunch the game and get to the menu select to start the game and the game crashes.

I rebooted the gp2x and followed the same procedure and got the same results. :blink:

mainnine posted on Mar 4 2006 at 11:56 PM said:

I select the game and get to the main menu, i select to play the game and the game returns to the main menu, I relaunch the game and get to the menu select to start the game and the game crashes.

I rebooted the gp2x and followed the same procedure and got the same results. :blink:
I feel sorry for you :p you're missing out on a lot. It's strange, it worked fine on my 1.2.1 and cramfs 0.4 firmwares. You did do everything stated in the readme, right?

mainnine posted on Mar 5 2006 at 06:56 AM said:

Sounds strange as I have 1.4 too... Check the readme to see how to install (in case you didn't) and remember that you must install a pack before playing.

Here is a copy of the folder structure you should have after a correct installation (respect lower and upper case):

beat2x/beat2x.gpe
beat2x/readme.cat.txt
beat2x/readme.eng.txt
beat2x/readme.esp.txt
beat2x/data/boardtext.bmp
beat2x/data/buttonset.bmp
beat2x/data/charselector.bmp
beat2x/data/cleared.bmp
beat2x/data/countdown.ogg
beat2x/data/energybar.bmp
beat2x/data/failed.bmp
beat2x/data/font.bmp
beat2x/data/gamebackground.bmp
beat2x/data/go.ogg
beat2x/data/intro.ogg
beat2x/data/mainmenubackground.bmp
beat2x/data/menubackground.bmp
beat2x/data/messages.bmp
beat2x/data/splash.bmp
beat2x/packs/do_not_delete.txt
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/Deshita - Look and Feel Years Younger (Vega Vege Remix) (Radio Edit).bxe
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/Deshita - Look and Feel Years Younger (Vega Vege Remix) (Radio Edit).ogg
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/license.txt
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/PorchCat - Never Get Out (Billyclub Mix).bxe
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/PorchCat - Never Get Out (Billyclub Mix).ogg
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/songlist.bxs
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/Voide386 - Dj Void-Propa.bxe
beat2x/packs/ccMixter/Voide386 - Dj Void-Propa.ogg

Hope it helps.

Would it be possible for me to release a pack without music as some of it is copywrited, and have the users find the songs themselves and check it with a checksum?

PSyMastR posted on Mar 5 2006 at 12:35 AM said:
Would it be possible for me to release a pack without music as some of it is copywrited, and have the users find the songs themselves and check it with a checksum?
Just release the songs proper and claim fair use/parody. I highly doubt anyone will get on your ass about it.

PSyMastR posted on Mar 5 2006 at 07:35 AM said:
Yes! I don't think there's any problem as far as you don't release it with songs. Do you have a pack ready to release?

nope, but im gunna make one. Almost all my music is Euro Rave/Hardcore/Happy Hardcore/Gabber/etc, so ive got music with a fast beat. Hopefully they aren't too hard :p

Are there any programs that scan and pickup the base on a song and return a millisecond value (would save me a lot of time :p)?

^^ Your best bet is to use a sample editor, like audacity, and simply measure the value in ms between the peaks for each beat, if you need more info give me a shout. It is unlikely that you will find software which will give you a bpm for a song in ms...

Man it would be cool to make a piece of software which could generate DDR files from an MP3 collection :D Did anyone ever have vib-ribbon ? Happy days.

Back