Beat2x V0.2

miq01

Website
Visit site
Hi. I've just released the second version of Beat2X.

What's new:
  • Added hi-score table and "enter initials" screen.
  • For each pack, if the player beats a level he/she can skip it and play the next one after restarting (no need to start from level 1 anymore).
  • Added volume control.
  • Added 2 new control modes ("stick" and "combined").
  • START during game quits to main menu.
  • Implemented scrolling on menus.
  • From now on, game and packs will be distributed separately.
  • Minor changes.
From now on, game and packs will be distributed separately. Please check README.eng.txt to know how to install them.

In a few days, I'll try to write a small tutorial on how to create packs.

Oh, and I've tested it on firm 1.4. I'm interested in knowing if it works properly on previous versions. If it doesn't, I'll need a betatester!

Download:

There are no combos yet. That's one of the things I'm going to work on for the next release. But it will take some time as I want to work on several song packs so that people doesn't get bored with the original (ok, and long :)) tunes...

Wow, glad I did check the site before going to bed... Thanks for a new release ^_^

I would gladly betatest if that is ok with yourself. I'm a bit of a DDR fanatic of sorts so I should be able to spot bugs. (Just realised you meant with the context of testing on previous FW... sorry!)

Going to go have a play with this before I get too sleepy...

EDIT: Still not up :/ *sigh* looks like I'll have to get this tomorrow...

Beautiful, just beautiful. I'll start working on the customized songs packs soon. I can't wait till you implement the combo feature! Great work so far though Miq01!

HOLY GOD!! Yes!

Thanks so much for this.

I made an icon for it if anyone wants to use it.

beat2x.png

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/PSyMastR/beat2x.png

Also, would it be possible to have compatability with Stepmania files (For Up Down Left Right only. I dunno. Just wondering)?
http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Create_and_Share

Can someone host it, since its not updated yet?

EDIT: NVM, I registered on GPSpain and downloaded it. Its pretty sad that I dont know a word of spanish, but was able to register fine. (Vbullitin is so universal)

how about a metal/punk-style of Soundpack?
I don't like techno very much...

the autor have probleme with playing MP3 in the GP2x then the compatibility with stepmania will be passing throut recompression of the MP3 in OGG.

Thanks Miq01, you kick ass!

A little hint for uploading your stuff in the file archive: If you want the file to appear immediately, delete the old version completely from the archive and add the new version as a new file.
Dunno why there needs to be confirmation when you update files...

Thank you very much!
I am already awaiting your readme so I can create packs myself :)

kgcs10 posted on Mar 4 2006 at 04:32 AM said:
Does this game play like PSPrevolution for the PSP? http://pspupdates.qj.net/2005/11/dance-dan...ion-on-psp.html

I've had it for a while, and it is fun.
From what I see in the screenshot, I'd say that it has the same gameplay. But I've never played PSPRevolution.

PSyMastR posted on Mar 4 2006 at 06:30 AM said:
I made an icon for it if anyone wants to use it.

beat2x.png

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/PSyMastR/beat2x.png

Also, would it be possible to have compatability with Stepmania files (For Up Down Left Right only. I dunno. Just wondering)?
http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Create_and_Share
Thanks for the icon! In fact, I asked Zenzuke (the author of the graphics) about an icon, so I'll show this one to him and if he likes it, I'll include it in the next release.

About StepMania compatability... maybe... sometime... :) But as Yod4z says, MP3 files should be converted into OGG as I don't plan to support MP3 files because of some SDL_mixer issues.

Quiest posted on Mar 4 2006 at 02:46 PM said:
A little hint for uploading your stuff in the file archive: If you want the file to appear immediately, delete the old version completely from the archive and add the new version as a new file.
Dunno why there needs to be confirmation when you update files...
Thanks for the hint Quiest. The funny thing is that I also uploaded the source and a song pack (this one is about 8MB) and they were there immediately. Maybe confirmation before updating is needed so that no one overwrites a file with a wrong one. I don't know...

racoon posted on Mar 4 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
Thank you very much!
I am already awaiting your readme so I can create packs myself :)
In the meantime, those of you interested in creating your own packs, check songlist.bxs and *.bxe inside the ccMixter pack. They are plain text files and quite easy to understand. For *.bxe, the format is: BUTTON MILLISECS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the StepMania compatibility is a great idea,it opens up a whole wealth of stepfiles t play already, so I'm glad you are intending to support it at some point. I just want to clarify: Do you mean DWI files, SM files or both when you say StepMania support.

OGG is definately the way to go... smaller file/quality ratio anyway.

I spotted a bug!
The high scores table: it saves high scores if you play 3 songs in a row, or just 1 song!
This means the high scores don't have much relevance to each other. e.g

I played all the 3 songs and got a score of: 9770
I played just song 3 and got a score of: 2923

They shouldn't be compared in the same score table right?

Feature suggestion: Save settings option I'd like to save my control method and volume.

But yeah I'm loving this :) great work! Keep it up ^_^

EDIT: Could you make the arrows a bit bigger. They are not too difficult to see, but they do seem a bit small to me.

PokeParadox posted on Mar 4 2006 at 04:26 AM said:
I would gladly betatest if that is ok with yourself. I'm a bit of a DDR fanatic of sorts so I should be able to spot bugs. (Just realised you meant with the context of testing on previous FW... sorry!)
Sorry, I forgot to answer to you. Which firm version do you have?

PokeParadox posted on Mar 4 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
I think the StepMania compatibility is a great idea,it opens up a whole wealth of stepfiles t play already, so I'm glad you are intending to support it at some point. I just want to clarify: Do you mean DWI files, SM files or both when you say StepMania support.
Don't know yet. Maybe both, maybe one of them, ... I still have to read some documentation about it.

I spotted a bug!
The high scores table: it saves high scores if you play 3 songs in a row, or just 1 song!
This means the high scores don't have much relevance to each other. e.g

I played all the 3 songs and got a score of: 9770
I played just song 3 and got a score of: 2923

They shouldn't be compared in the same score table right?

Feature suggestion: Save settings option I'd like to save my control method and volume.
Well, the scores issue is not a bug. I thought about it and I think it makes more sense the way it is now. It's the price you have to pay for playing just 1 song instead of all of them. :) Song skipping is not meant to be a game save, but just a but just a way to let you start from any level you've already reached.

About saving settings, it'll probably be there in v0.3.

EDIT: Could you make the arrows a bit bigger. They are not too difficult to see, but they do seem a bit small to me.
I think they have a good size now, so I'm not going to change them in short term. Once Beat2X is skinnable, maybe I'll reconsider it.

PokeParadox posted on Mar 4 2006 at 03:34 PM said:
I have FW 1.4
Oh, ok. I need people to check if it works for a previous version, and if it doesn't I'll need someone to do some betatesting for it. Thanks anyway. :)

Maybe I'm being stoopid, but, I cant get 0.2 to work, 1.0 worked fine (and is one of my favourites games on the 2x :D ) I have 1.2.1 Firmware...

I put the pack in the packs folder and the game runs, but black screens after start game ?

I'll beta test if you like

Back