Battery Problem

ddk121

Still Fresh
Hey!
I'm goin shopping later on, and have just rcieved my gp2x console. What kind of batteries last the longest and are safe to use with the system? Can i USE RECGARGABLES?

DDK121 posted on Aug 18 2006 at 05:49 AM said:
Hey!
I'm goin shopping later on, and have just rcieved my gp2x console. What kind of batteries last the longest and are safe to use with the system? Can i USE RECGARGABLES?
you NEED NiMH rechargables(has anyone tried nickle cadium?), they will last at least 3 hours in the gp2x(where alkalines will last a couple minutes if your lucky) mine seem to last about 5-6 playing squidge if I play strait. I have energizers 2500 mA/hr. You can get generic ones that work half decent as well if your wanting something cheaper, but you'll want a good charger. you will find most people telling you the same thing unless I typed mA/hr wrong :p. Congrats on the gp2x remember to read the forum if you have problems or try to search the site using google

Last edited by a moderator:
oqnet posted on Aug 18 2006 at 12:55 PM said:
Hey!
you NEED NiMH rechargables(has anyone tried nickle cadium?), they will last at least 3 hours in the gp2x(where alkalines will last a couple minutes if your lucky) mine seem to last about 5-6 playing squidge if I play strait. I have energizers 2500 mA/hr. You can get generic ones that work half decent as well if your wanting something cheaper, but you'll want a good charger. you will find most people telling you the same thing unless I typed mA/hr wrong :p. Congrats on the gp2x remember to read the forum if you have problems or try to search the site using google

I am currently using Duracell ultra M3 batteries and they seem to be lasting a while. I have used it for about 20 minutes and and batter says it's still full?

I am currently using Duracell ultra M3 batteries and they seem to be lasting a while. I have used it for about 20 minutes and and batter says it's still full?

Yea well it only displays "full, "half" and "empty". So its kinda useless imo :)

Alkalines are a bad choice because the voltage drops steadily, meaning it quickly drops below what the GP2X needs. NiMH batteries are the best for this, as they remain at the same voltage for most of their charge. NiCd batteries have a "memory effect", so if you recharge them without discharging them fully, the capacity of the battery will lessen.

Get some batteries rated at 2500mAh or above. Ansmann are a very good brand, Energizer are also OK and I've heard Uniross are awful.

I got some green/silver energiser rechargeables in the UK and they're actually smaller than regular disposable Duracells and move around in the unit causing it to lose power if you move it around. Weird.

oqnet posted on Aug 18 2006 at 07:55 AM said:
you will find most people telling you the same thing unless I typed mA/hr wrong :p.
You did type mAh wrong :p . mA 'per' hr (mA/hr) would a rate of change in current being drawn. It would be like saying "I have gone 800 miles per hour to get from New York to Atlanta." Or, even more appropriate, "I have gone 800 meters/s/s to get from New York to Atlanta."

Amps is the unit for the rate of change of charge (the amount of stored electrons), so it is similar to miles per hour (the rate of change of distance). mAh actually measures the total charge stored in the battery just like (m/h)h would measure the total distance (see how the hours cancel and you are left with miles).

Sorry, I felt like typing.

Back to the subject at hand, Energizer rechargable good. I have some. Run long time.

does anybody ever tried the (stupid) idea of using NiCd batteries on a gp2x?
that shall last like about half a hour if you're lucky haha
at least you won't get bothered by memory effect, as the batteries will be very, VERY soon running out of charge.. :lol:

Back