External Batteries

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 08:10 PM said:
It would look something like this (CHECK POLARITIESSSSS)
Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking, except the whole connector idea so I don't have to have the dcell tray always with me/connected

Last edited by a moderator:
oryhara posted on Aug 27 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking, except the whole connector idea so I don't have to have the dcell tray always with me/connected

Well, if you don't want to break apart your GP2X, just attach it to the back of the thing with some glue or something, you don't HAVE to do any of what I said except the wiring...

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 08:17 PM said:

Well, if you don't want to break apart your GP2X, just attach it to the back of the thing with some glue or something, you don't HAVE to do any of what I said except the wiring...
Ok, last question, I swear. Would 2 D-Cells and 2AAs connected in at the same time be... er... bad?

oryhara posted on Aug 27 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

Ok, last question, I swear. Would 2 D-Cells and 2AAs connected in at the same time be... er... bad?

Not sure what would happen, but I wouldn't try it. The capacities will differ too much and anything could happen.

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 08:22 PM said:
oryhara posted on Aug 27 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

Not sure what would happen, but I wouldn't try it. The capacities will differ too much and anything could happen.
Okay, thanks a ton for all your help. :)

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
reeced posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:52 PM said:
Shikaku - I assumed you could take a lead from the battery tray directly to the DC port. Why would you need a regulator with batteries ?

Because GPH is cheap :p Actually, there is nothing there that will clean the power for use with the GP2X, so this has to be done yourself.

The GP2x is rated at 3.3V 1A - would 3.6V be enough to fry it ?

FROM THE DC PORT YES. From the battery tray no...

Shikaku, I don't understand your reasoning. Normally any battery/or DC power device will have overvoltage
protection (zener or whatever) and power supply smoothing on it's DC input. You don't need to "clean" the power from a battery - it's the cleanest power source you can get.

I say we move this little thread to the FAQs. I think some people might want to know that this is possible.

However, a few afterthoughts: NIMH batteries go at about 1.2-1.5V (current charge level effects this) and it is said that the GP2X battery tray can handle up to 5V (no guarantees). Using this tray method it is possible with 3 batteries (3.6V-4.5V), which will give better battery life compared to 2 batteries of equal capacity if the same capacity was possible, I remember Squidge's post about this.

The safest thing you can do that maximizes battery life is just what I have drawn above.

reeced posted on Aug 27 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
Shikaku at I don't understand your reasoning. Normally any battery/or DC power device will have overvoltage
protection (zener or whatever) and power supply smoothing on it's DC input. You don't need to "clean" the power from a battery - it's the cleanest power source you can get.

I can't explain it technically because I am not too skilled with electronics, so someone else has to for me. However, I am pretty sure I am right.

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:55 PM said:
Shikaku - I assumed you could take a lead from the battery tray directly to the DC port. Why would you need a regulator with batteries ?

Because GPH is cheap :p Actually, there is nothing there that will clean the power for use with the GP2X, so this has to be done yourself.

The GP2x is rated at 3.3V 1A - would 3.6V be enough to fry it ?

FROM THE DC PORT YES. From the battery tray no...

Once my gp2x ran from a 9v universal thingy...I forgot to change it back to 3. I am never doing that again..thankfully, my gp2x is still working.

I used my gp2x on a 3.6V regulated power supply (plugged in DC input) and it worked fine, and I've ran it for a long time

squidge gone further and ran up to more then 4v, but after going beyond 3.9V the screen was starting to get brighter, so he stopped

for 1.2V based batteries I would suggest just not trying to fry your gp2x and have it using 4 AA batteries (2 couples in parallel)

I think 3.9V li-ion batteries would do great, anyway

Shikaku posted on Aug 27 2006 at 01:33 PM said:
reeced posted on Aug 27 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
Shikaku at I don't understand your reasoning. Normally any battery/or DC power device will have overvoltage

I can't explain it technically because I am not too skilled with electronics, so someone else has to for me. However, I am pretty sure I am right.
I know the MK1 units had no regulating whatsoever on the input jack, so beware, I don't know if they fixed that for the MK2 units, it could be different now.

Loubear posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
Once my gp2x ran from a 9v universal thingy...I forgot to change it back to 3. I am never doing that again..thankfully, my gp2x is still working.
Likely the 9v was pulled down to a better voltage due to the high draw of the GP2X, or your universal thing has a current limiter.

Lint posted on Aug 27 2006 at 05:10 PM said:
I used my gp2x on a 3.6V regulated power supply (plugged in DC input) and it worked fine, and I've ran it for a long time

squidge gone further and ran up to more then 4v, but after going beyond 3.9V the screen was starting to get brighter, so he stopped

for 1.2V based batteries I would suggest just not trying to fry your gp2x and have it using 4 AA batteries (2 couples in parallel)

I think 3.9V li-ion batteries would do great, anyway
Hmm, I would personally just use 2 D-cell holders (1 under each hand on the back as a "grip" of sorts) and to connect it I would get one of those old GameBoy AA adaptors to put in the battery tray and start modifying from that, then it is removable and you can use a set of AA batteries if you need. Use hot glue or whatever to connect the D-cell trays, then you will have enough battery to last all day (and most of the night).

The beauty of li-ion is the 3-volt per cell is perfect and the cells can be flat. So one li-ion cell of about 4,000 mah would be perfect.

The beauty of li-ion is the 3-volt per cell is perfect and the cells can be flat. So one li-ion cell of about 4,000 mah would be perfect.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I have been looking (havn't researched too much) and have found the batteries priced decent but the chargers seem to be all over in price. How much should a charger cost for one of those li-on battery cells?

Yep, used that during the hurricane season last year ... but I hooked to my house. I did not think of using for my hand held games ... of course I did not have a GP2X then.

I wouldn't move this to the FAQ section until you actually get it working! Things can work fine on paper (on forum) but there might be something in the GP2X hardware that you are unaware of. I would not want the (possible) responsibility of frying people's GP2Xs.

linoleum13 posted on Dec 2 2006 at 03:30 PM said:
I wouldn't move this to the FAQ section until you actually get it working! Things can work fine on paper (on forum) but there might be something in the GP2X hardware that you are unaware of. I would not want the (possible) responsibility of frying people's GP2Xs.

I'm pretty sure at least 3 people have gotten it working that have posted it on the boards. It's not a complicated idea, nor is it dangerous, it's just a bit troublesome to implement.

Back