Battery Minimum Voltage

Darkknight512

I just noticed at around 35% battery remaining the voltage is at 3.0 volts but continues to discharge, AFAIK LiPo batteries that get discharged close to 3.0 volts get damaged, and since the % is only at 35% it appears the Pandora currently discharges the batteries way below 3.0 volts which would greatly reduce the usable life of these batteries.

I'm going to verify my findings with a DMM and take a look at what the open voltage of the battery is when discharged to a reasonable state (20%), but from what I'm seeing, anyone discharging past 30% are damaging their batteries.

For want of not allowing any scaremongering, would you mind explaining what "damaging" is supposed to mean in this context, please?

EDIT: Just to clarify, we all know that physical damage to Lithium Polymer batteries can cause fires and explosions. I don't want people getting the impression that using the battery until it's below 30% could do the same, when all you might mean could just be "It makes it last for a shorter time eventually".

Last edited by a moderator:
I just measured a couple of batteries:

At 10%, the voltage was 3,7V.

A battery with 3.0V (had one here as well) didn't even start the Pandora, so it was below 1%.

I noticed the same as ED when I was working on the improved charge routines. How did you read the voltage on the battery, because 3.0V is far below anything that I've seen: the Pandora doesn't even turn on at that low of a charge. I'd suspect there was a problem with your measurements before assuming that all Pandoras are at risk.

Hmm just checked with 2 DMM's, sorry for the false alarm. They are at 3.6 volts open cell, thought it could still mean we are dipping below 3 volts under load, but that should not be an issue.

Well, time to chuck this DMM which is GREATLY off.

Before you chuck it, your multimeter might just need a new battery. Use the DMM to measure the level of the battery in itself :p

Back