BATTERY CHARGING

shah

Sorry, had to ask this as i think there were a few techincal GP32 owners...!

I have a 8.4v , 1000 mAh plane battery and the charger supplied appears dodgy.. its rated 9V and out put of 600mAh... now i dont want to charge these batteries with it as they have not even given me a charge time....!

Looking at the charger, it seems that they cut to plug at the end of the charger and stuck a Tamiya clip on the end of it.

My question.. whats the charge time, or is there a way i can calculate the best charge time..? (I have NiMh batteries)

Many thanks.

S

I suggest you just get one of those 1 hour charge packages like they have at radioshack. If your battery charger doesn't automatically shut off i'd stay away from using it.

bmd3287 posted on Dec 14 2003 at 08:02 PM said:
I believe it is 12 hours without FLU and 5-6 hours with FLU.
And the award to the biggest misunderstanding ever goes to....

:lol: :D :lol:

btw, I'm not sure about your question. If the charger was rated at 8.4v I would say you need to charge it for 1h 40m, but as it is rated at 9v, I'm not sure :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
STOP- STOP--STOP- STOP--STOP- STOP--STOP- STOP--STOP- STOP--

After trawling through the whole net and reading lots and lots...

Basically the formaula for charging is:

Mah of battery/Mah of charger = Hours to charge.

Now take hours to charge and multiply it by 1.3 or 1.4 to get peak maximum charge timing. The reason for the multiplier is because battery chargers are inefficiant.

NOW if you haev a expensive charger or electroni one, then no worries as they automatically detec current levels and reverse polarity and charge slowly one the battery is near full capacity...!

Web site:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_sup..._comparison.htm

thanks anyway..!

Looking at buying a new panasonic charger with some 2100mha batteries.

Mainly want it as it has a switched mode adaptor alowing it to automatically detect the voltage as i'll be going to thailand in a couple of weeks and may be off to the usa in the summer

It also has features such as
Negative delta V cut-off function
Discharge battery detection and recovery system.

what do they do :blink:

ta

-------------------------------------
Negative delta V stands for negative delta voltage, delta meaning difference. What /that/ means is that if the the voltage at the ends is opposite of what would happen, it will cut off any charging of the battery. A situation like that would happen if you put the battery in backwards. So, basically, it stops people that are drunk or stupid or overtired (We've all suffered at least 1 of those at some time ^.^) from blowing up the battery from putting it in backwards and charging it

Discharge battery detection and recovery system
---------------------------------------------------------
Basically, if the battery shelf discharges (Lose charge on their own over time) (Which NiMHs will do if you leave them idle) while in the charger, it'll recharge it. Basically, it constantly checks the charge of the battery while it's sitting idle, and if the charge goes down, it'll begin charging it again until it's full

In reality, basically every decent charger has those features, they just want to use big words to make you think it's special

Phocks posted on Dec 15 2003 at 01:23 AM said:
[...]So, basically, it stops people [...] from blowing up the battery from putting it in backwards and charging it[...]
Nothing to do with that sorry! It is sth related to the charging curve of the batteries. When it's almost done, the second differentiate on the curve becomes negative. So basically, the charger detects that and stop charging.

Phocks posted on Dec 15 2003 at 01:23 AM said:
Discharge battery detection and recovery system
Pure commercial, nothing to do with real things.

Please, try to be precise when posting (no offense intended). If you think my explanation wasn't clear enough, ask and I'll repost.

Vince

Last edited by a moderator:
well cheers for the replies so basically Negative delta V cut-off function means that if you have say 4 batteries in a charger and each battery has a different amount of charge, it will stop charging the individual battery once it is fully charged..but carry on doing the others.

which is kind of what i'm hoping it wil do ;)

Back